“THE best place to eat in Burnham”

The Oyster Smack Inn
“THE best place to eat in Burnham”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I have been a regular at the Oyster Smack since it first opened and I have to say I have never eaten a poor meal here. (And I have eaten here frequently!)

The service is always attentive, even when they are packed out and all you want is a sandwich.

The setting is ambient, staff attentive and I highly recommend the newly added Crab, prawn and red mullet linguine. It is supreme.

Sunday roasts are just as lovely, with the meat being beautifully succulent.

I haven't stayed in any of the rooms but as a freelance Make - up Artist, I have visited them for Bridal Parties. They are lovely.

Well done Oyster Smack team. I hope you stay with us for years to come!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We had a great stay at the Oyster Smack Inn. Our room was spacious, modern and clean and there was a double pull-out sofa-bed that we used for our 2 and a half-year old. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the manager, James, couldn't have been more attentive. The modernly-decorated restaurant has a wide range of lovely dishes to choose from and we had a delicious 3-course dinner in the evening. Breakfast the next morning was also very tasty with a variety of choices. We will definitely go back if ever in that region again - was overall a great stay!
Extra info: wi-fi throughout, coffee and tea tray in rooms, plasma TV, iPod dock, safe parking, guest ale on tap in bar (very important!)

Room Tip: We had room 9 - very spacious with a beautiful, modern bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Warfield, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel and restaurant is in a lovely location, especially for a weekend away. Lots of choice on the menu and breakfast was delicious. Modern interior. The room had everything we could have needed. I stayed on my own with toddler and 9 year old. Family room provided a double pullout bed for more daughter usually you only get a single in a family room. The room was clean and spacious. We stayed on a Thursday night but it was busy but no noise disturbance. We also managed to park right outside.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

we waited all most an hour for this meal and all though it was very nice my appetite tends to wear of if i do not eat the meal was excellent and in a pleasant atmosphere steak was well done and the vegatables very were a little under cooked but that seems to be the case these days because food overcooked loses its taste and becomes a soggy mess ,flavourless nice atmosphere and you can tell that they work hard to keep standards up

Room Tip: make sure the room faces the sea front because the rear can be disapointing
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were in Burnham on Crouch for a wedding and we stayed at The Oyster Smack Inn for one night. We received an extremely warm welcome and we were taken to our room on the first floor. It was a very small room but comfortable and nicely decorated with a wall mounted TV with freeview channels, a hugely comfortable bed and tea/coffee facilities. The toilet was small as was the shower room but perfectly acceptable and ideal for one night.

Breakfast was continental buffet with a hot selection available for extra cost, we stuck with what was on offer and it was fine, I liked the 'instant' porridge which needed hot water which was tasty.

We enjoyed our visit and hope to return again but we will pay for a larger room next time.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paullegate
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Me and my husband stayed here sat 27th July 2013. We stayed here to celebrate husbands bday and our 10 year anniversary. Was sooo looking forward to it but was very dissapointed. I know it's called the oyster smack but did not expect the rooms to smell of fish. Shower was broke. Wallpaper peeling off and looked wet so don't know if there was a leak of fish guts or something lol! £90 for the room was just far too expensive and not worth the money! Will def never be staying here again when other b&b's are £50. Overall very very dissapointed :-(

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mrsgeorge86
james h, General Manager at The Oyster Smack Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

It is always such a disappointment when guests do not approach management to discuss any problems that might of happened during their stay and then publically complain. If I have a problem at a shop or service provider I contact their customer service department to rectify the problem. If they do not handle my complaint to my satisfaction I will then contact their head office or write a review about the situation. In that review I will comment on the negatives and the positives of the business so I do not leave a biased review.
As you did not do this I was not given the opportunity to address your criticisms and rectify them and you could not review our customer service recovery policy.
We are in an industry where we have to deal with a broad spectrum of people and personalities. So we have to address their preferences a lot of the time when they communicate with us ie they want a ground floor room, Sea view or not a room next to our restaurant. We would have gladly moved you to a different room and would have tried to upgrade you to one of our deluxe or superior rooms, if that option was available. I could have then used our maintenance man to fix the problems that you brought to our attention, for example the Shower screw needing tightening up.
I often do competitor analysis for this business to keep our prices in check and I would find it near impossible to find a hotel room for £50 on a Saturday Night in Burnham on Crouch during Wedding Season.
We are a restaurant that serves fish dishes and can assure you that our rooms do not smell of fish. But as you walk through our restaurant you will most almost all of the time smell food being served and as you walk past the Kitchen you will almost all of the time smell fresh food being prepared and a variety of cooking smells.
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The restaurant and bar were excellent. I stayed for a month and they were very busy during summer so I was asked to move to different rooms frequently. Most of the rooms were very comfortable. However, one room (no. 10) was on the small side and one room (no. 4) had no windows. All the rooms were very clean and quiet.Off street parking was ok. Burnham-on-Crouch is a nice town for walking. Train station was a few blocks away. Easy train ride to London (~1 hour). No AC.

Room Tip: Exterior rooms have pull up parking area.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review from your stay with us.
When we have a guest like yourself stay with us, the Staff and I always say it is like having a friend coming to stay. It was a pleasure to serve you and we hope we can accommodate you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham-on-Crouch
Roslin Beach Hotel
Hamiltons Boutique Hotel
Hamiltons Boutique Hotel
#3 of 25 in Southend-on-Sea
Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester F...
#1 of 1 in Tolleshunt Knights

Been to The Oyster Smack Inn? Share your experiences!