“Clean but uncomfortable”

Ranked #1 of 5 Blind River B&B and Inns
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Clean but uncomfortable”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed here in October 2012 on our way to Ottawa. The town was under a boil water advisory while we were there and had we not chanced to stop in at the Tim Horton's on our way to the room we would not have been aware of it. No sign in the room or notice from the motel in any way. I must say they had left two small bottles of water in the room but that would not have prevented us from brushing our teeth with tap water or even drinking the tap water. The other real issue for us was the height of the beds. They have them up on some kind of platform (maybe so heat ducts can extend out from under the beds) and have placed both a boxspring and a mattress on top of that. Getting into and out of bed was like climbing the Swiss Alps. Sitting on the edge of the bed is out of the question. They need to either make the platform slightly higher and get rid of the box spring or do something else with the layout of the room. The beds were comfortable once you got into them and the place did seem very clean. The exterior is also very attractive. We did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on that.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rosemary J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Thunder Bay
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with work in December 2012. They charged about $85.00 a night.

I would have given this location a '3' rating, but a couple of things happened that made me reduce it to a '2'.

The room itself was very clean and reasonably well lit. However, within five minutes of entering the room, the following happened:
I placed my pack on the bed and used the bathroom. When I went back to retrieve my pack off of the bed, I solidly stubbed my toe on a 'vent' under the bed; let me explain. The bed in this room (I'm not sure if all the beds in the other rooms are like this) is resting on what I assume to be a wooden frame (it's covered with carpet) that is flush with the outside edge of the mattress, so when you wlak up to the bed, there is nowhere for your feet to go under the bed (try it at home...when you walk up to your bed, if it's resting on a metal frame, your feet need to go 'under' the bed so you can approach it properly). The 'vent' that I hit my toe on was on the side of the carpet/wooden frame (the vent was likely there to let air underneath the mattress through this wooden box frame). I yelled out some choice expletives when that happened (I hope I didn't scare the people in the room next to me!).

They did have a bagged continental breakfast in the morning, so that was a definite plus.

The other thing that happened was that I left something in the room and didn't realize it until I was 850km away, back home. I called the hotel and was going to ask them to mail the item to me, but before I had a chance to say I would pay for any shipping, and even their time to send it, I was told, 'We don't do that'. Luckily, I did have to go back to Blind River and was able to retrieve what I had left. So, this place is alright, but those two occurences caused me to reduce my overall rating of this hotel. I would try another location as a comparison if I had to go back to Blind River again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank TheMadmanThunderBay
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed at the Lakeview Inn over the holidays as we have some family living in Blind River. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff were friendly and provided great service and were knowledgeable about the area. The price was reasonable. We have plans to return in the summer for a vacation as the water is gorgeous there and the Inn is in a great location. Also, the restaurant attached to the Inn had great food, service & prices.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Goulais River, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The Lakeview Inn is the best place to eat, rest and sleep in Blind River. As a contractor, I have had the pleasure of calling the Lakeview Inn my "home away from home" on many occasions. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are refreshingly clean and comfortable. The restaurant offers delicious food and a welcoming atmosphere. Overall, an excellent value!! I highly recommend the Lakeview Inn. It's a good idea to reserve ahead to be assured of a good night's sleep in this clean, affordable well-maintained inn.

Ronn H

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ronn H
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed here in the summer, and really enjoyed our two night stay! The rooms were well priced, and the rooms were spotless - even the showers were impressive as the water pressure was really good too! Both mornings after waking up we went to Breakfast at the restaurant, and were greeted by friendly staff, great food, and decent prices. I would recommend this hotel to anybody I know as I'm certain they will have the same if not an even better experience that we had. The receiption staff were very friendly upon check-in, and check-out - and helpful when extra towels were required. It's so refreshing to stay somewhere that's so well kept, and has such a friendly environment for guests and staff - all the people we interacted with really seemed to enjoy being there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly W
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My dad and I stayed here recently for a few nights to visit family friends and found the Lakeview Inn to be excellent value for a well maintained room and squeaky clean bathroom. Its easily accessible from the Trans-Canada and the service is warm and friendly. We also had an excellent dinner at the attached restaurant. Overall, a great place to rest a weary head.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lance H
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I was in Blind River to watch the Abitibi Eskimos play the Otters. The rooms are very well kept and the staff is very helpful and trusworthy. I'd left money in a bag and housekeeping moved the bag. The money was untouched =) The rates are ok. Parking at your door. KFC and Tim Hortons nearby. Beer Store right next door is a bonus!!! I would recomend this motel. AAA+++

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
#1 of 2 in Algoma Mills
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Iron Bridge

Been to Lakeview Inn? Share your experiences!