“Terrible Customer Relations” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Piano Inn 1884

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Perry
The Piano Inn 1884
Toronto, Canada
“Terrible Customer Relations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Today I booked a room for the night at the last minute at the Piano Inn in Port Perry. It seemed from the minute I called that something was amiss with the service. The person who answered my phone call told me I should reserve online, but when I went to the website, there was a notice saying that the website would not accept bookings made less than 24 hours in advance. When I called back, this person answering the phone apologized for not knowing this and took my reservation. I gave her my credit card number to hold the room, but when she asked for the CVV number on the back of the card, I told her I was not comfortable giving that out over the phone. It's a security number.

I arrived at the Piano Inn around 3:00 pm to check in. The staff person in the restaurant asked me to pay fully for room in advance. This isn't a usual procedure at hotels or B and Bs. You usually pay when checking out. I asked if I could at least see the room before paying so I would know what I was paying for. The staff person wasn't too happy about this request, however, she did take me to see the room, which was very comfortable, bright and clean, so I decided it would be ok to pay in advance, although I do think it's unusual to pay in advance at a B and B. I gave my credit card, entered the PIN in the machine, signed and we completed the transaction. The staff person wished me a nice stay and I left to take a walk and get some late lunch.

As I was walking down the street she came running out and came up to me and asked again for the CVV number from my credit card, now for a mandatory $100 security deposit, which had never been mentioned before. I had already paid in full in advance for the room, without giving this CVV number, which I have read should only be used on the internet, not in person when you have the credit card with you. Again, I politely explained to the staffer that I was not comfortable giving this number, and I didn't understand why they needed it. I had already paid for the room and the chip machine had accepted my PIN, so they knew it was me with my card.

The staffer returned to the Inn, and after a couple of minutes the owner came out and came after me as I was walking to have lunch. She said I had to give them the CVV number on my credit card. I didn't want to do that, as this number is supposed to be for extra verification on Internet transactions, but you don't have to give it in person. The owner insisted I had to give it for the mandatory $100 security deposit. When I told her I was not comfortable with this, she told me I couldn't stay there and to collect my things and leave the Inn. She said they would cancel the transaction and I could just leave right away. No mention of a receipt for the cancelled transaction though. I asked for a receipt, which she and her husband thought was an inconvenience, but they did agree to give me a receipt. I left, never having stayed at the Piano Inn.

When I returned home this evening, I scoured their website and their policies, and there is absolutely no mention of any mandatory $100 security deposit anywhere on their website.

I still can't figure out what all this what about, but it was the most abysmal customer relations situation I have ever come across at a hotel, B and B or inn in Canada.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PMtraveller_11
RobProprietor, Owner at The Piano Inn 1884, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent attempted stay at The Piano Inn. Please accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered upon check in. Your feedback has been shared with our team.

We actually have a very different account of the events that transpired and for the benefit of prospective guests and yourself I would like to explain a few points. Unfortunately there is no real concise way of doing so.-

The member of staff you first spoke with on the telephone was not aware you were enquiring about staying with us the same day. The procedure is to tell guests to visit our website to view the suites, and explain that we do also have online reservations which they can use or if they prefer they can also call (our online booking system only allows online reservations to nights available 24 hours or more ahead in time). This allows us to keep track of reservations and prevent the ability to reserve online just before arriving to check in. Naturally you had to call back to reserve a same day reservation at which point we asked you some personal details including credit card information to reserve the suite. This acts as the security for your stay. You gave us your credit card number, the expiry but declined to issue us with the CVV code over the phone, which was perfectly acceptable and a good security policy not to do. We would ask you for the number at check-in.

Our policy is to take full payment upon check-in because we issue unique pin codes to guests to access their suites and guests can therefore self check out without having to return keys or pay. This is a great benefit to all guests including business clients.
Upon check-in you placed your credit card into our Interac machine and we processed payment for the night. You were asked to supply the CVV number for our reservation system as it was missing. Unfortunately you refused.

It must be said at this point that CVV security numbers on the back of credit cards are there not only to protect the client but also the payee. It is a layer of security that authenticates that the user has the card present and helps prevent fraud. Our reservation system requires the CVV code or it will not accept the rest of the credentials.

The reservation system is used by over three thousand members in the travel industry including large hotels, B&Bs, Inns etc. It requires entry of your credit card number, expiry date and the CVV security code. All these credentials go into the payment portal and are encrypted on screen. The numbers are no longer visible to us but we are permitted to charge a client via this encrypted data should there be a need to after checkout for events that include damage, missing items etc. This is standard procedure.

For guests unable to supply valid credentials we would ask for a cash deposit for security.
Again you refused.

Without having the missing details from your credit card or a cash deposit we were left with no option but to ask you not to stay as in turn you gave us no option for security for your stay. We would issue you with a full refund for the transaction just made through the Interac machine.
At this point you suggested calling the police which I must say changed the dynamics somewhat. Taken aback we suggested you were welcome to but probably should instead call your credit card company for clarification. You did so and passed your cell phone to us to talk with them. Once we explained what we were attempting to do they understood and agreed with our requirement, asked to be passed back to you and you were told to release the CVV number to us. You then made the decision not to give us the number and to leave.
I issued you a full refund whilst you were collecting your things from your suite and presented you with your refund receipt when you returned.

Once again I am terribly sorry you were unable to stay at the Inn. You are the first guest that has been unwilling to provide the CVV code with the rest of your credentials or a cash deposit. We do try very hard and accommodate all guests but as you were unwilling to stay after talking to your credit card company there was little else we could do.

Our Inn has been open seven years. We have had many guests stay with us and have received two terrible rated reviews during this time. - One from yourself and another from a couple who were refused entry due to being extremely intoxicated. I can only assume your comments and my reply won't deter future guests from staying at our great establishment and I am very thankful for that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Longridge, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Port Perry is a quaint and lovely place and our stay at the Piano Inn was perfect.
I don't usually write reviews after a trip, so this was special.
Our studio seemed newly completed and it was extremely clean and very comfortable. The kitchen area was a bonus, though we enjoyed eating at the Piano café and other great restaurants.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne F
Dresden, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our stay at the Piano Inn was perfect. The rooms are gorgeous and check in was a breeze. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at "the Piano Inn Cafe" Service was excellent.....
Port Perry is a very pretty town with many quaint unique shops. I can't wait to return and will definitely stay at the "Piano Inn".....Clare and Linda

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ClareandLinda
Dresden, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at The Piano Inn! The rooms were gorgeous and very clean and comfortable. We also thoroughly enjoyed lunch at The Piano Cafe. If we are coming to the Port Perry area again, we would definitely stay at The Piano Inn. Port Perry is a beautiful town and we enjoyed our stay there!

Judy & Bob Cibulka

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
1 Thank Judy C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We've stayed in 3 rooms here and found them all to be quite comfortable clean and unique…nicely decorated very well kept…we would recommend to anyone….the cafe below has amazing food and a discount is applied while staying there..highly recommend this as well.

Room Tip: There is a bit of street noise but you are downtown in the historic part of Port Perry with some gre...
1 Thank Terry M
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Piano Inn provides an amazing overnight experience with a boutique hotel feel. The rooms are beautiful and spacious - definitely WAY better than staying at a typical hotel.The owners are very welcoming and totally help you feel taken care of. They also had great recommendations for dinner in the area. I have stayed a few times and always am completely satisfied. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The poets corner is my favourite room.
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We spent two nights at The Piano Inn in Suite E. Lovely blend of historical attributes and modern conveniences. Every thing we needed to be completely comfortable was there. Christy was very helpful in getting us acclimated and readily available throughout our stay. We needed a bit of a late check out and Christy and Rob did their best to accommodate us. Great location with the lake, shopping, gallery, and restaurants nearby. We hope to return.

Room Tip: Use their website to determine which room you would like. We chose Suite E. It was perfect.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Perry
Our Valley View
#1 of 1 in Enniskillen
B & B On The Ranch
#1 of 6 in Port Perry

Been to The Piano Inn 1884? Share your experiences!