“Room smelled like sewage.”

Hampton Inn Elliot Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elliot Lake
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had a horrible experience this past Tuesday night (April 29th). We stayed in room 15 in the lower level, once we entered our room we both smelled a putrid odour throughout the room. We called reception right away and they sent someone down to check it out. They agreed with us that it smelled horribly, and we investigated for turds throughout the room but no luck. (I even looked under the bed, between matresses, behind furniture) They could not change our room as this was the last room available (I believe they knew about this room and tried to sell it off and hope no one complained.) ANYWAYS, point is, Mananager was supposed to give us a call back and discuss the issue as well as potentially give us a refund. The manager never called us back, we tried to call her every day for the next 3 days, some days twice per day. Our messages fell on deaf ears and no one was giving us a straight answer. Finally on Friday we talked to an employee called Christine, who took our complaint seriously. She noted everything down again and told us she would personally hand deliver it to the Manager whenever the "manager" came out of "closed doors". Apparently the manager had been behind "closed doors" for 3 days, whatever that means. An hour later Christine called us back (NOT THE CHICKEN MANAGER) to let us know we would be refunded for our sewer room. Everything else, was fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Benjamin Y
Sarah P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Elliot Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Guest,
First and foremost, I would like to personally apologize for both your experience in our Hotel and lack of communication that existed between you and I.

The day after your stay, I was promptly provided with your information, however when I attempted to contact you, both the phone number that was left on file, and left on my voicemail, did not work.

Finally on Friday, when you reached Christy on the Front Desk, I asked Christy to inform you that you would be receiving your money back due to your experience, because I was tied up at that moment and my intention was to have you wait no longer for a response.

Also, to ease your mind, I, nor my staff knew that there was an issue with room 15 beforehand, and once this was brought to my attention, the maintenance department looked into it right away.

Again my apologises for not speaking with you directly. I would love to arrange for a time in which we could chat about your experience. At the Hampton Inn by Hilton Elliot Lake, we do work very hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their stay and at anytime that's not the case, I appreciate all feedback, as we are constantly working towards better overall service.

Sarah Paradis
Hampton Inn by Hilton Elliot Lake

Reviewed 29 April 2014

What a great place to stay, fantastic value as well. You would not think they are the only game in town with there terrific front desk staff and wonderful accommodations. The Breakfast buffet was a very nice touch. Hats off.

Room Tip: The town rolls the sidewalks up early here, the restaurant was dedicated only to the breakfast buffe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is one of the few hotels that I have ever stayed in where I was able to completely shut off the heater/air conditioning unit in the room and it was still quiet enough that I was able to get a good nights sleep. After driving all the way to Elliot Lake it would be nice to have a restaurant on site though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Room was clean and comfortable, the buffet breakfast was lacking but put something in the tank before starting our day. It is the only hotel in Elliot Lake but was clean and modern so no complaints other than the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

very classy looking place..slept well..nice brightly decorated rooms..busy place..clean..open kitchen to enjoy coffee or a cookie anytime..close to many amenities..staff were very friendly,,very knowledgeable of anything you asked about the city

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda D
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Staffs are very friendly and also help me book the additional night with full reservation Rooms, towels, etc are very clean 24 hours hot coffee and tea beverages are very helpful in the cold winter Parking is sufficient and clear of snow in a timely manner

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel was clean and well looked after. Which in hind site was a good thing as it's the only hotel in the city. The free breakfast was alright (not great) and the staff very friendly. The pool was clean and the fitness room was well equipped. It's in the middle of the city which makes geting around easy and is on the bus route.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
#2 of 2 in Blind River
Lakeview Inn
Lakeview Inn
#1 of 5 in Blind River

Been to Hampton Inn Elliot Lake? Share your experiences!