“Location and room were great, service was indifferent”
Review of Pozo del Cielo

Pozo del Cielo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chivay
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Well I see others had the same experience we did. We liked the location just outside of town, which meant the nights were generally peaceful and quiet although you can hear the noise from town when it is excessive as it was our first night when some kind of revival went until about 10 p.m.. It was easy to walk to town though I didn't feel entirely comfortable walking after dark (just a feeling, nothing happened or even looked like it would happen). We carried flashlights. You could easily get a tuk-tuk from town to get back after dark if you feel a bit uneasy as I did.

We also loved our spacious room that had a slightly split level with a couch area just outside the bathroom. What disappointed was the staff--they were not terribly welcoming or interested in accommodating their guests. They were not rude, simply indifferent.

The guidebook mentioned hot water bottles for the chilly nights but these were never offered to us. We weren't too cold as the room had two space heaters but it would have been cozy to warm up the bed with a hot water bottle.

I went to breakfast the first morning and there was juice, bread, marmalade, some kind of packaged pastry object (it was like a dry, overly sweet pop-tart which I ate only because there wasn't much else), and four slices of cheese and lunch meat. There was a thermos full of hot water for making instant coffee or tea, which I liked. I was also offered eggs. When I declined eggs as I don't like them, I asked for if they had fruit or yogurt. I was simply told, "no." Now, we stayed another night after that so a great hotel would have noted my request and had fruit or yogurt for me the next morning--can you imagine how my review would have glowed over such friendly and thoughtful service? Well this place obviously can't because nothing of the sort occurred. Same breakfast the next day. There was nothing wrong with this service, but when they had the opportunity to be excellent they didn't take it.

Shower water was hot and plentiful. Wifi signal was weak and inconsistent in the room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank schlegal1

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Our room here was lovely and views were fantastic. Such a shame that the lady managing the hotel was so unfriendly and on occasion rather rude! We found it quite funny but in all seriousness, if this place had friendly or even just polite staff, it would make all the difference!

Breakfast was very basic.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jodie46
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here as our first choice was fully booked. I hadn't read the negative reviews about the staff until we were there and agree there seems to be a very negative vibe that is hard to ignore. Room okay though numerous lights weren't working and wifi only outside of the room.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel V
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here with my friend as part of a group tour round Peru and thoroughly enjoyed myself at this hotel.

Our room was cosy with twin beds and a good hot shower.

The location is ideal, by the Colca Canyon away from any street lights, quiet and only a 10 minute ride away from the hot springs which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Evening meals and breakfast in the restaurant were both great, cakes are available for breakfast! I loved the feel of this hotel and recommend it to others spending any time in this area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MexicoPrincess
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Top pick of Lonely Planet, here we go. We had the similar experience of recent posts here. On the positive side: as we were driving the location was very convenient, easy to access and park. Hotel overall looks really nice, our room was had a smart set up with a sofa overlooking the city.
Things start to go the other way when a tour guide woke us up at 5am, he was yelling at next door, ok that could happen anywhere else. All awake, let's have an early breakfast at around 6:30h! We found no table ready, in fact it looked like breakfast was over since some time, some few breads here, pastries scattered over there. Service was the worse, no one to help us to understand what did happen, should we have had the breakfast at 6am with everybody else?
Considering the price we did expect a much better breakfast, that is why our overall experience was "average".

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Aroeira A
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Our family of 6 stayed here mid-July 2013 and our experience concurs exactly with others who found the staff rude and unhelpful. We had a particular special moment with the porter who does not carry bags. The hotel seems to be run on a shoestring and, if you can find them, staff are generally too busy for guests. Although the rooms look nice and certainly photo well it was impossible to get warm - l know it's winter in July but they shouldn't be so cold that you unpack bags to put clothes on! The restaurant demanded all our winter gear be worn, evening and breakfast. Food was served lukewarm and in small quantities. Sadly we couldn't get to local amenities as the hotel is a little too far away after a tiring day. Only stayed one awful night and will not return. Ever. Even if there is an afterlife.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

While the setting was beautiful and rooms were quaint, the staff was incredibly rude and not helpful at all (when they were available). The beds were very uncomfortable with only a tiny pillow. We were shocked at what we got for the price. We asked the staff if they could help us set up a tour to the Cruz del Condor and they had hardly any information and basically told us we were on our own! The restaurant was like a ghost town. We ordered soup and it took nearly 40 minutes for it to arrive at our table. Not sure why, but we decided to order some crepes for dessert, which came out totally burnt. After dinner I was trying to explore the upstairs cafe and slipped and fell down about 5 stairs. The manager and waiter didn't even MOVE from behind the bar to see if I was ok. She was nice enough to ask me the next morning how I was feeling, over the crappy breakfast they served. We really couldn't wait to get out of there. This was definitely the low point of our otherwise fantastic trip to Peru.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ep5809
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chivay
Casa Andina Standard Colca
Aranwa Pueblito Encantado del Colca
Hotel El Refugio
Hotel El Refugio
#9 of 15 in Colca Canyon

Been to Pozo del Cielo? Share your experiences!