“Raw chicken and awful service from owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Mill Hotel

The Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Alsager B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Raw chicken and awful service from owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had our daughters christening party here on Sunday and we chose the venue because of the great food and atmosphere it used to have. Unfortunately the place changed ownership between us booking and the date of our party. I have two massive issues. The first is raw chicken. We had chicken served at our buffet which was a 'KFC' style chicken. The medium and larger pieces were raw, not undercooked but absolutely raw with blood everywhere. We paid a lot of money for a buffet for 30 people and we're served raw chicken. Our second problem is the owner. Once we complained about the raw chicken she had an awful attitude and in the whole conversation she never once apologised or admitted they had done anything wrong. Her answer to the chicken was.... "Different size chicken cooks at different times, the small pieces are ok" this was her answer. It was like a 5 year old was trying to explain something. How can someone own a restaurant and not know how to cook chicken and the implications of giving adults and children raw poultry. I was insulted by her answer. She then took away the chicken and replaced with sandwiches 15 minutes later once everyone had eaten so they were all gone to waste.

I am absolutely disgusted with the owner and her attitude and lack of knowledge on food hygiene.
All meat should have its temperature checked before being served.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Dan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Old Mill on several occasions over recent years, and have found it to be a charming, friendly, easily accessible place in which to have a nice meal and a good night's sleep.
I have posted to this effect previously, mentioning particularly the friendly welcome from the owner.
This time it has been totally different.
The check-in was brusque, the service at dinner was perfunctory, and when I came to check out, I was told that cards are no longer accepted. Fortunately I had cash with me; I would not have been amused to have to drive into the village to access the ATM.
All these irritations pale into insignificance in comparison to my disturbed night. I lay awake while loud, thumping dance music was blaring through the floorboards. I 'phoned (from my mobile) on three occasions to point out that I was a guest and that sleep was impossible. I was told that it was the staff's belated Christmas party, which they deserved, that there was a licence till 1am, and that no, they could not turn the volume down. On the third phone call, I was offered a different room, which I declined as it would have been pointless. Once the music stopped, it was replaced by loud voices and laughter till about 2am, when I managed to nod off.
When I checked out, I was not asked how my stay was; I would have explained about the disturbed sleep if given the opportunity.
I felt like an irrelevance in an organisation which existed for the benefit of its employees.
I discovered that the inn has changed hands, which is, of course, the explanation for my totally different experience on this occasion from previously.
So, my advice to the new owner is: do as your predecessor did: greet the customers, make them feel welcome, and make sure you know what your staff are up to at all times of day and night. The survival of your business depends on it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank birgitta_7
Athlone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed at this lovely hotel for one night.Food was excellent with a very fine breakfast in the morning.Room was clean and comfortable with a view of the pond and ducks very nice.We enjoyed our drinks at night served by a very energetic bar maid who appeared to be running the place,very talkative and friendly.We would have liked to have stayed another night but duty calls.We will be back.
Thanks.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JackLAthlone
Cambridge United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed here for 0ne night in room 6 the four poster bedroom....the staff were very helpfull and freindly and service was brillant ..but have to say that the room was not up to the expectations of an £85 pound a night room even if this did include breakfast...the bathroom was dissapointing at best with a big split in the side of the fibreglass panel along the bath which could be a bit of a hazard to the unwary and alsothe bath as not very clean at all.to add to this the cups provided for tea and coffee making were dirty.The whole room was tired and allthought they did have a sign stating that the hotel was undergoing refubishment,was hard to see where this was taking place.
the food in the restaurant was good for pub grub in the evening but the beer had a funny taste to it ,breakfast was ok but again cups and cutlery dirty.over all for the money not sure i wouod ever stay again.....bad impresstion.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 6 cant recomend it
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VivHowlett
Kemnay, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, the welcome and service was faultless, staff were so friendly you rarely get such brilliant service anywhere these days. While our room could have done with a little updating ( there was a notice about on going renovations) it was clean and restored to original standard every day. The food was home cooked and breakfast was brilliant, can tell its local produce and really is a brilliant standard. Extremely quiet, beautiful location with amp parking onlooking a farm and duck pond. Would recommend it for stay to anyone who is in the area. While a little pricey, once renovations have been done it will be one of a kind.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Stokesley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

its the 6th time i have stopped there the rooms are spot on the food is just what you look for in a hotel ,its down a quiet lane with a duck pond ,big car park,more like the comforts of home ,
i truly cannot fault it ,at breakfast its like having a meal with the family 100% ile give them every time

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cannock, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I went to a family Christening here and it was beautiful, I would definitely come here again for a family meal or to stay. The staff are wonderful and so is the place itself. There is not much i can fault on this place... Everything was great and the day went smoothly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alsager
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel
Chimney House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sandbach
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to The Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!