Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel
The Peacock(Henton)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Oxford Belfry(Milton Common)
View Hotel
All reviewscourtyard roomblenheim palacefew issuesred kitescream teashort breaktwo night staymain buildingcooked breakfastboth nightsroom was largecomfy bedan evening mealvisit oxfordroad noiseshower headboth mornings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I can recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.
As a celiac I sometimes struggle with eating out but here it was not a problem at all. stayed there for a week and then a further two nights. didnt even need to tell them who i was on my second stay. Thank you so much. And I can also recommend the Sea Bass Exquisite.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank coh247
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Had a one night stay at Lambert en route to sightsee in Oxford. The room was average, clean but nothing special. However we had dinner, bed and breakfast and our evening meal was fantastic. Good service, nice atmosphere in the dining area and great menu to choose from, 'fancy' pub food that was filling and delicious. I had seabass and my partner had lamb shank. Breakfast the next day was also very good (we used the gym facilities to make up for all the culinary indulgence!) Based on the food alone I would return and it made up for the 'nothing special' bedroom.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J P
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stopped here for one night based on its location within sight of the A40. The rooms are large and well equipped. We were in a new section of rooms not in the main building. Our heating was good in our room but our friend was always cold and luckily I had a small laptop so I could connect to the Internet but not with my iPhone except in the restaurant.

They do need to work on getting their staff up to speed. They were offering a winter dinner special which I was told by the girl at the desk when we arrived I wasn't able to take advantage of because I had to book it in advance. When I mentioned that the next morning, that woman told me that we indeed could have taken advantage. It cost me about 50 pounds to be wrongly advised. Needless to say this affected my opinion of this place.

Our dinner was the high point however, our waiter was very friendly and made the meal enjoyable. The food was quite good but breakfast was a major disappointment. Charging for hot food when breakfast is included is not what I expect when I pay what I feel is quite a high price for a room.

The rooms have little charm but the pub and restaurant have it in abundance. There is an elevator to take you to the second floor which is a good thing.

We stayed here for the location and that was stellar. I would not feel the need to return here and I am not sure I would recommend it. It was okay but really, nothing special. When I book through Bespoken Hotels, I expect more and was left wanting. However I really liked the shampoo and conditioner so that was a positive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My recent stay at the hotel was a study in contrasts. They say first impressions count. The corridor to the bedrooms was dark due to burned out lights, which were not changed during my six-day stay. It was also cold and in need of a coat of paint. So I wasn’t sure what to expect of the bedroom. However the bedroom was warm and comfortable, if somewhat plain. The small flat screen TV did not work for two days, but this was due to the aerial being blown over in storm. But even when it was repaired, the remote control had to be replaced and even then it was a challenge to change the channel – I eventually gave up trying to watch TV. The telephone did not work at all during my stay. I told the girl at the front desk and her reply was - “yes we know, we have this problem with several of the rooms.” It was never fixed. The bathroom was roomy and had a good shower and there was always hot water. But the toiletries were never replaced once consumed. One small point, but a safety concern was the bathroom door stop on the floor of the bathroom. It was right in front of the sink where one stands! I wonder how many people have stubbed their toes on it! The website advertises complimentary Wi-Fi throughout and was one reason for booking this hotel. Don’t believe it. It’s only available in the bar and restaurant! There’s an Internet cable connection in the room, but I use an ipad and needed Wi-Fi to connect. Breakfast was continental style and hot food could be ordered for an extra fee. There was always plenty of choice, so no complaints here. It’s too bad that the many small deficiencies added up to an unsatisfactory experience at this hotel, which otherwise could have been good value for the price.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet. Outside rooms overlook the M40.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I often stay here work related, Nice pub attached with good food and open fires. The rooms are big and comfy nice decor and a fab comfy bed.
The bathroom is fairly big with a large shower drencher head.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business