“Enjoyed my stay at Shoal Bay Estate”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tryphena
Shoal Bay Estate, Great Barrier Island
Ranked #3 of 5 Tryphena B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Enjoyed my stay at Shoal Bay Estate”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I really enjoyed GBI stay for two nights.Sunny bed room and beautiful view from the window.Val and Francis were very friendly and I could feel like doing home stay.I really spent great time with beautiful beaches,bushes,local small animals and PEOPLE!! Over there life style is very simple but it's actually very rich,because I could feel more closer to nature and people.I definitely want to back to GBI and I will choose Shoal Bay Estate again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I felt like I was stepping on to another planet right from the moment when the host (Francis) picked us up at the Great Barrier Island ferry terminal. It took all of about three minutes to drive to the charmingly old but modern Bed & Breakfast establishment which held a panoramic view of the bay. My assigned room immediately brought back many of my favorite cottage memories of my former family Island cottage in Canada.

And Francis did everything to make me feel at home without making it feel like he was imposing. I'm an avid hiker and soon discovered that the B & B was an easy walk to some amazing walking trails that criss-crossed throughout the island.

We had a great breakfast of our choosing each morning, and Francis even drove us out to a very popular Irish pub one night for fish and chips.

I could go on and on, but I'll just say that I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We had a wonderful time staying with our very warm and accomodating hosts. We very much enjoyed their company and the accomodation we stayed in. The location is excellent and the rooms are spacious. My wife and I are rarely too full too finish the food at breakfast and dinner yet we managed to be at Shaol Bay. We would highly recommend this as the best value you are going to get on the Barrier Island and we are certainly going to try and come back before we go.
Thanks again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank montyas_12
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Val and Francis are great hosts and made us and our children feel right at home. Francis is especially wonderful with children and took them to collect eggs from the chicken coop and even cast his grandfatherly eye over us as the boys and I kayaked in the bay. Val prepared some wonderful meals and shared interesting stories about life on the Barrier. Thank you for a wonderful stay with many enduring memories. We'd recommend Shoal Bay Estate to all.

Room Tip: Val will assist you with the best option.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Stunning spot. Absolutely felt at home the minute I walked in, Val and Francis have something very special here, they are wonderful hosts and have some great stories to share. Rooms are comfy, food is fab and the island itself is just magical. Will be back very soon -and will send friends and family in the meantime!

• Stayed January 2012
Cape Town
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had such a great time on GBI (locals slang)...or as we say Great Brier Island. Even in the middle of winter (July) the rain came & went only at night, the days were sunny and hot.
The hosts (Val&Francis) became our friends the moment we set foot in their B&B.
The house (B&B) was nice & full and they had no problem organising more than enough food and a comfortable place to sleep for everybody.
The fireplace downstairs was the main attraction for everyone as this made the whole house nice and warm.
I can recommend Shoal Bay Estate to anyone who wants home away from home thanks to the friendly hosts.

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own "personality"...:-)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlbertusBotha
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Firstly what an incredibly beautiful location! During my NZ adventure (I traveled from home in Germany) I stayed in a mixture of accommodation including luxury retreats (eg. Takatu Lodge), chain hotels and more than one B&B. The great thing about B&Bs is that you are welcomed into the private space of your hosts and hear a personal story. Francis and Val are having their own NZ adventure, building a life and business on Great Barrier. My assistant booked for me and said that the correspondence she had with Val was very friendly and helpful. The accommodation was clean and tidy- once again what a great location. The freshly cooked breakfast was really delicious. Go there if you want to meet special people and share in their adventure.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank HortTrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tryphena
Medlands Beach Lodge
#5 of 8 in Great Barrier Island
Tipi and Bobs Waterfront Lodge
Tipi and Bobs Waterfront Lodge
#6 of 9 in Great Barrier Island

Been to Shoal Bay Estate, Great Barrier Island? Share your experiences!