Shoal Bay Estate, Great Barrier Island
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Tryphena
See available hotels
  • Beachfront
Fern Lodge(Coromandel)
Harbour View Motel(Coromandel)
Central Motel(Coromandel)
Castle Rock Winery(Coromandel)
The Olive Motel(Coromandel)
View Hotel
All reviewsfabulous hostsat homegreat barrieramazing placegreat spottrue kiwi hospitalitystayed nightsmade us feelgroup of friendslocal knowledgerental carfrancisvalmealsweekendaccommodationisland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We really recommend this bed and breakfast situated in a peaceful bush clad bay right by the sea .Val and Francis have renovated their house to a very high standard and we especially loved the upstairs deck with sea views and another sheltered deck off the dining room which was ideal for just chilling in the shade Val and Francis are friendly and low key hosts who enjoy making guests feel part of the" family"which adds to the overall holiday atmosphere of the accommodation. Val and Francis keen to advise guests on places to go and things to do and we appreciated their input Be prepared for a less than formal atmosphere regarding meals and general housekeeping but for us this added to the whole holiday feel . Keep it up Val and Francis !

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My wife and me stayed 3 nights in this B&B and had a nice dinner on the first night. The hosts Francis and Val Foreman were friendly. There is very good wifi provided. We stayed upstairs where it was more private.

Room Tip: Upstairs for more privacy. Bathroom is not en-suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Lovely place and very friendly and helpful hosts. We were the only visitors on this occasion and were treated to superb hospitality which even included a Island Tour. Even in winter this place has something to offer, I would certainly recommend this to anyone who wants to get away from the hustle and bustle of life on the mainland and experience something different. The house is lovely, the food great and the atmosphere even better.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I really enjoyed GBI stay for two nights.Sunny bed room and beautiful view from the window.Val and Francis were very friendly and I could feel like doing home stay.I really spent great time with beautiful beaches,bushes,local small animals and PEOPLE!! Over there life style is very simple but it's actually very rich,because I could feel more closer to nature and people.I definitely want to back to GBI and I will choose Shoal Bay Estate again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I felt like I was stepping on to another planet right from the moment when the host (Francis) picked us up at the Great Barrier Island ferry terminal. It took all of about three minutes to drive to the charmingly old but modern Bed & Breakfast establishment which held a panoramic view of the bay. My assigned room immediately brought back many of my favorite cottage memories of my former family Island cottage in Canada.

And Francis did everything to make me feel at home without making it feel like he was imposing. I'm an avid hiker and soon discovered that the B & B was an easy walk to some amazing walking trails that criss-crossed throughout the island.

We had a great breakfast of our choosing each morning, and Francis even drove us out to a very popular Irish pub one night for fish and chips.

I could go on and on, but I'll just say that I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo