“A peaceful retreat”
Review of Orama Oasis

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Fitzroy
Orama Oasis
Ranked #1 of 1 Port Fitzroy B&B and Inns
“A peaceful retreat”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I spent the weekend at Orama with a hiking group. I was the only person who was self-catering, and half regretted this decision as the food they provided for the rest looked and smelt scrumptious and wholesome. My kitchen was in a separate building and was very well fitted out with gas hobs, pots and pans, kitchen utensils, etc. I shared a 5 bunk room with 2 others, and the room was HUGE. The dining hall overlooks the beautiful bay. It was certainly a nice place to come back at the end of a days' tramp, to a hot shower. Marilyn, our host provided impeccable service. I would totally recommend this place.

Room Tip: There are dorm rooms as well as rooms catering for private singles or couples.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our corporate group stayed at Orama for 2 nights, I found the owners, managers and staff amazing to deal with, they catered for all our needs and helped create a beautiful team event for us. All rooms are clean and tidy, showers are warm with great water pressure, the food they cooked for us was A+++++ and they even catered for gluten free. The setting allows for you to swim, play volleyball, jump on the trampoline, walk around the beautiful setting - it is so peaceful and relaxing and I will be trying to come back again and so to will members of our group. I highly recommend Orama and if you want a lovely pub there is one not too far away called port Fitzroy boat club who also have great service, setting and food. THANKS ORAMA you were amazing!!! :)

Room Tip: Swimming Pool = sea swim they have an awesome beach to swim in. In regards to rooms they have two un...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Auckland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed at Orama recently for a conference. I was very impressed with the idyllic setting but I thought the main areas (Kitchen, eating, dining ) could do with a refresh to bring Orama's decor out of the 70's. As was rather dark and dingy and not making a connection with the beauty that is Oramas setting. Although good value for money, the week long I stayed (My room was in the main lodge area) I was certain that the communal toilets were not cleaned once by the staff. However, the rooms were functional and I had excellent sleeps.

Room Tip: There was this little separate unit about 200m from the main camp area of Orama. That looked private...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Southland, NZ
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights, and came back refreshed and relaxed and were greatful for the opportunity to have stayed. We hired a rental car at Claris airport,and drove approx 30-40 mins, over mostly sealed roads. Orama Oasis was 3 km down an unsealed road, but once you got to the bottom it was amazing. I will try download photos
Orama Oasis has a partnership with the Sir Edmond Hilary outdoor persuits centre, so at times there were various groups of young people present. At all times, I found them really respectful, considerate and well mannered. We choose to have a basic dorm, and hired linen for $20 each for the week, to save luggage space on the plane. We also choose to do our own meals, so that we could go out and about and not work around meals. There was a meal option available. We choose Orama due to its affordability, we paid approx $450 for 6 nights for 3 of us. The facilites were good.
The power is via generator/solar power and goes off form 10.30 at night until 7.30 and again I think at 10am till approx 4 pm, which didnt affect us.
There were trampolines for the kids, a big swing, in a large tree, large clear space to run and play, and a floating jetty/wharf to fish off. One day there were even dolpins. It was exactly what we wanted.
A very calm and relaxing stay. Everyone was helpful and fantastic to work with. Food is expensive on Great Barrier, compared to what we are used to on the main islands.
A very special place indeed, which we hope to return to.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#5 of 8 in Great Barrier Island
Tipi and Bobs Waterfront Lodge
Tipi and Bobs Waterfront Lodge
#6 of 9 in Great Barrier Island

Been to Orama Oasis? Share your experiences!