“A room with a view”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lido di Ostia
Amsterdam, Nl
“A room with a view”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was here in October 2013 but have only just caught up with my TA reviews.

I was intending to spend a few days in Rome but got sidetracked to Ostia because of references to the port in the "Falco" books by Lindsey Davis. Turns out that Ostia Antica is now 4 kilometers from the Tyrhennian Sea.

It was a walk-in. I didn't know about Ostia Lido until I got to the end of the subway line. Walked along the "lungomare" promenade until I saw a hotel that "felt right", walked in, asked for a room with a sea view, negotiated a very reasonable rate and booked for a night - which became 4. The staff were so warm and helpful, service was excellent.

Breakfast was buffet-style. It wasn't spectacular but a hotel on the Italian coast has to cater for all tastes and the fact is that the average North European/Brit wouldn't recognise good coffee anyway (exception being the Dutch)

The room was clean, bed was comfortable, I had a spectacular view of the sea and the sunsets were magnificent.

The other MAJOR pluspoint of Ostia and Sirenetta was that, thanks to a great metro connection it was easy to get to Rome for day/evening trips and a few stops along the line Ostia Antica is one of the best Roman, historically intact, sites in Italy.

And for the pilgrims, the basilica of St. Paul's Outside the Wall (San Paolo fuori le Mura), "burial site" of the eponymous saint, is on the same metro line.

Downside? I had to leave after only 4 days, driven by my inner demons ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is close to Rome. Staff is very friendly, breakfast - very goog choice of food, great coffee. Location of this hotel - close to the see,really lovely view. It is my favourite hotel in Lido, when I travell again to Rome, I definitelly book this hotel again. I can recommend you this hotel.

Room Tip: Lovely view to the see, perfect service, great location and friendly staff.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jitka1403
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We arrived after being up 30 hours and just wanted to sleep. They seemed to know that and just took the passports and gave us the key and we were in bed in 10 minutes. We had a beautiful oceanfront room with a patio. Includes a free breakfast that started at 7Am and was good. I will stay here again on my next trip to Rome. Bus from FCO to Ostia train staion was only 1.30 euro per person if purchaed at the airport Tabachhi shop. 5 euro if purchased on bus. Hotel is walking distance from the train station. And transportation to and from Rome easy and inexpensive using metro/train

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick and Mer... C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was our second stay at Sirenetta - and likely our last. The the shower had black MOLD all over the tile grout. Gross beyond description.
If this is how what management tolerates in places that guests can see, imagine what they allow behind the scenes.
I'd hate to see the kitchen.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My daughter and I returned to the Sirinetta for four nights in September 2013 after enjoying a short break here in June 2012. On both occasions, we asked for a room overlooking the sea, with a balcony, and were very pleased with our choice. The room was quite large (a double bed and single bed), had a pleasant and very clean bathroom (shower, bidet, basin, WC), and the balcony was perfect - several chairs, table, lounger. The obliging bar staff brought our breakfast to the room in the mornings, so we could enjoy starting the day overlooking the beach. The hotel is very close to the beaches (public and private - worth paying 5 euros/person on the private beach if you're staying for several hours), and there are some good, reasonably-priced restaurants nearby - not to mention an exceptionally good 'gelateria' (Miami Beach)!

The staff at the hotel were unfailingly helpful and friendly. The reception managers spoke very good English, but also let us practise our Italian if we wanted. They booked a local taxi for our transfer back to Fiumicino (30 euros). The smiling cleaners and bar staff seemed to enjoy helping the visitors have a good stay.

We chose to stay in Lido di Ostia and get the local train into Rome, so we had the best of a city-break in the day, and relaxed by the sea morning and evening. It takes 10-15 mins to walk from the hotel to the Lido Centro station: for 1.50 euros you get a train - they run every 15 mins - into central Rome, and can use the same ticket to finish your journey on the underground. To get to the Colisseum, for example, takes 30 mins on the train , then just 2 stops on the metro. It's also well worth spending a day at nearby Ostia Antica - a huge site of a large ancient Roman town.

We hope to be back to the Sirinetta/ Rome next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the sea!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I ended our honeymoon with two nights here after trekking through London, Paris, and Rome. We needed to kick our feet up and relax, and couldn't have picked a better town and hotel. The staff was wonderful and friendly. The place was very safe/secure with someone at the desk to attend to you 24/7.

And Ostia appears to be the town where the Italians go to vacation, rather than international tourists, so there was a great small-town feel to the place. It reminded us of many small beach towns along the Florida panhandle.

Room Tip: Get the beach view on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scoot_township
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I've stayed here before and was very happy with the hotel. On this occasion I was given a single room (with a double bed) on the 3rd floor and a wonderful sea view. The room was not huge, but had pretty well all the mod cons you would expect (with the exception of an electric jug). The walk-on balcony overlooking the promenade was huge and had all the ingredients for getting a very nice tan.

The staff are really really nice, and can't do enough for you (or at least me). The continental breakfast spread is excellent, and the young lady looking after the dining room will bring you a hand-made coffee of your choice. And the internet access is excellent (and free) from the restaurant and reception areas.

I can't speak highly enough of the hotel and its staff and will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Ostiense
Barcelo Aran Blu
Barcelo Aran Blu
#408 of 1,261 in Rome

Been to Hotel Sirenetta? Share your experiences!