“"nice!"”

Villa Vecchia Hotel
Rome, Italy
“"nice!"”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Nice big hotel in the outskirts of Rome: we stayed for 1 night with a groupon so probably we weren't given the best room available: the first one after the front desk - it was confortable, clean and well furnished but dark and noisy (the hall was just a few steps away, with a wedding party going on). If I paid the full price I would surely ask for another one. The staff also was ok, and the garden very nice. Didn't stay for breakfast.
The hotel is a bad choice if you want to tour in Rome because it's far from the city centre and there's a terrible traffic in the morning hours, but a good choice if you already toured Rome and want to explore the surpising 'Castelli Romani' area

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laoshi80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
London, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Just checked in with a tour group and this was not what we were expecting. Hotel is very old and tired with stains all over the carpets. The sheets didn't even cover the whole bed which was rectified by a maid who wasn't very happy about redoing it! The grounds are very unkempt and dead flowers in the flower boxes. It is in the middle of nowhere with no transportation provided. When we went to the bar there was no one to serve us. We were only allowed to have a half bucket of ice as that is all the machine had in it. I sure hope dinner is better!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank nmcgrath00

Travellers are raving about these Monte Porzio Catone hotels

ibizamotters
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a night as part of a work trip around Europe.

Not great overall.

The entire hotel is well overdue a major refurbishment.

Rooms were dirty, tatty, grotty. The toilet seat had the usual "hygiene seal" piece of paper around it. When I took this off I wondered what on earth they clean to toilet with, a large stain around the water level and other stains, very dirty indeed.

The shower was a complete waste of time, broken shower head so full of cal that it didn't work, leaked down the pipe. A simple shower head replacement would cost a few euro and make a huge difference. Shower tiles were stained as was the plastic door.

Broken shelf so when I put my bottle of shampoo on it, it just fell through and the lid broke!

Bathroom was totally unhygenic and in desperate need to bleach.

Usual useless hairdryer too.

Lack of any great toiletries.

Bedroom was light, others in our party said theirs was dark, but so old fashioned and tatty with stains on the carpet. ALL hotel carpets should be removed they are so unhygenic.

I had a fair bit of luggage and the room I got was right at the top so two lots of stairs to get to it with several bags. I had to do two trips up and when I left I almost tripped and my main bag fell all the way down the set of stairs, not very health & safety I don't think.

We had lunch in the hotel restaurant and also dinner, and this was the saviour of the hotel. Very good quality food and wine and very reasonable prices, good service. Can find no faults whatsoever, just great.

I was then looking forward to breakfast in the same hotel restaurant. Absolutely one of the worst breakfasts I have had in a long time.

No choice of anything, empty trays - had to keep asking for refills, rock hard bread, the only fruit was a few whole fruits (orange, apples, kiwis) - the rest was tinned, who on earth wants tinned fruit for breakfast with fruit yoghurt, didn't have plain yoghurt or a muesli worthy of eating. I ended up with a kiwi fruit and a piece of rock hard toast.

Shocking breakfast. It was included in our room rate but the people in front were charged 8 euro each. If its not included it wasn't worth 2 euro never mind 8 euro, don't bother!

Terrible hotel, wouldn't recommend it at all, apart from the lunch and dinner.

Would have rated it terrible had it not been for the lunch, dinner and the waiters.

Definitely wouldn't want to go back there.

Room Tip: Make sure if you do stay here you ask to be on the floors that the lifts service, I was in room 3339...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ibizamotters
Montréal
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We spent 3 nights in this location. Prettily set in an olive orchard with a nice view to a verdant valley below. The pool, at the end of a garden path gives this place a posh villa impression. Inside, beyond the lobby, there is a glass ceiling atrium with many cosy sofas, art work and antiques. This leads to an enclosed hall converted into a chapel for weddings or other special events. Our room(2026) was on the second floor (away from the elevator) and had a view to the back yard set up with a giant white reception tent. We realized then that this might be a popular place for noisy parties. Thankfully, our stay was most quiet and restful. The room itself was fairly small, with the matrimonial bed taking up most of the space. (By our Canadian standards the separate mattresses were hard) By comparison, the bathroom is large and is done up in green marble. A minibar fridge came in handy to keep our drinks and snacks cold. Breakfast, served in the vaulted cellar restaurant is varied and generous. The restaurant also offers dinner which we found very good and convenient. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Having a car is a must but this location is great for exploring the Castelli Romani and Colli Albani area. One can shop for groceries in Frascati, which is 6 minutes away. We got into Rome by taking the metro at Cinecittà station because we couldn't figure the parking at Anagnina. However, we also drove into Rome on a Sunday morning and found parking close to the Vatican. It can be done! TIP: find out if there is a reception/party on the dates you want to reserve.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank marcyMontr_al
Northville, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This was part of our groupon and we loved it. We did have a car so it made it convenient to drive to the metro as our transportation into Rome. The front desk spoke very good English and was very helpful. My kids loved the pool after a hot day of walking throughout Rome. The rooms were beautiful and very clean. Make sure to go on top of the hotel rooftop at night to see all of Rome lit up. We had 1 dinner at the hotel that was good but I recommend going into downtown Frascati which we had a fabulous dinner at. If you are traveling to Rome without a car I probably would not recommend this hotel but if you have a car then this is definitely worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank 306Gab
Coconut Creek, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was really worried...after reading other reviews and listening to Italian friends that Villa Vecchia was going to be extremely inconvenient a location for our trips into Rome. But! with the help of the wonderful and multi-lingual desk staff we were easily directed to Anaganina station and from there just a short ride into the heart of Rome. Although its not like staying in the city where you step out into a piazza bustling with people it was a nice break at the end of a whirlwind day. Pool and gardens are relaxing and beautiful. I would not have had dinner in their restaurant though. I would recommend jumping in your car and finding something in Frascati that overlooks the city. My son forgot a bracelet that was given to him on this trip and with one phone call they found it and are sending it back, not something you see everywhere. So even though we had a 30min commute into Rome it was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Louise Y
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My experience in this hotel was great. We booked four quadruple rooms, which were clean, nice and spacious. Hotel installations are great, specially the gardens and the swiming pool. Breakfast was also fine, a lot of variety of fruits, cereals and bakery, and some eggs with beacon. However. some times you had to wait to get the food remplied and you needed to go after the stuff to get a good cappuccino. I think they should have a better service of bar in the mornings sice this is Italy, you are paying a 4 star hotel but all you get is a tank of prepared coffee.
Another disadvantage is the location. It is a recommendable hotel for celebrations (weddings, meetings, etc) or if you have some bussiness close to Frascati. Car is completely necessary. However, If the purpose is visiting Rome, I would choose a more centric accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#9 of 14 in Frascati
Castel Vecchio
Castel Vecchio
#2 of 6 in Castel Gandolfo

Been to Villa Vecchia Hotel? Share your experiences!