“Good and Bad”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Revash
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Chachapoyas
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Over-all we found the hostel to be clean and comfortable with a nice ambience. We decided to leave after one night not due to any discomfort but because we couldn't get the internet to work with our laptops. (Their wi-fi seemed to be working-it was an issue on our end)

We returned from breakfast with the intention of checking out when we found the windows wide open to the world so that anyone passing by could have seen our laptops, passports, everything lying on the bed. There were bars on the windows but that's besides the point. We use our laptops to work while we travel but we don't like advertising to people that we have them. We said as much to them as we checked out and the woman got really flustered and seemed to take it really personally that we were leaving.

Dude, we weren't mad. Alls we're saying is they need to NOT open their guests windows if they're not going to have some privacy curtains or something put on. Otherwise this place is decent, clean, and comfortable.

Just maybe go ahead and tell them ahead of time not to open your windows while your not at home.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2013

We spend 2 nights he. Rooms are good, with a hot water, tv and free wi-fe but very slow.
The place is very quiet at night.We have only one problem when we reserved tour.
Next morning 30 mins before the trip came a staff who informed us, the tour will be canceled, because a guide have to go to church. Of course we have been up set and quickly left to buy the tour with other agency.
Think it isn't possible to do this, because all people who are travel have scheduled trip as we had. The lady who works there, I think she knowingly lied when she tried to apologized and when we paid she put to check 5 soles more as a tax explaining that it is normal in Chachapoyas.
We staid in many places in Peru and nobody did it to us.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katyhor
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I stayed in a clean single bedroom with my own bathroom. The bed was comfortable and warm, and a fluffy towel + bar of soap were provided. I arrived late at night and was offered a choice of 2 rooms, one with plaza view for S./70 (could give it to me for 60) or a courtyard view for S./45 (which went down to S./40). The rooms didn't really look that much different, so if you don't need a plaza view, the cheaper option is just fine.
The walls are a bit on the thin side, I could hear another guest snore in his/her room during the night.

Booked a tour to Kuelap as well, even though I forgot to ask what was included in the price. Turns out that the entrance fee to Kuelap wasn't, but since I didn't check, I can't blame them for not mentioning it. Our guide (Agosto) was great, he had a vast knowledge of the Chachapoyas culture, history and customs and also had a lot of random trivia about the area.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and helped me phone various bus companies so that I could make some seat reservations. However, they are too pushy with selling their tours! That for me is the main reason of giving this place an 'average' because coming to knock on your door to sell a tour is a no-go for me. I think it's ok to put the information of the tours in the rooms so that guests can come to you to ask about it or book it, but it's not ok to come knocking at doors in an attempt to sell them. Too much telemarketeers-around-dinner style for me because I will go and ask about stuff when I'm really interested in it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

Perfect location right on the square and the staff are very friendly. They also offer tours in the region and the guide we had was excellent, fluent in English, French and Spanish. The rooms are comfortable, but although they claim to be famed for their hot showers....the hot water only lasts 5min, so be quick! Free Wi-Fi, but pretty slow.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This place is a dump. For 40 soles a dark small room with a view of a brick wall, huge mold stain on the shower ceiling and windows that don't have good seals. Chachas can be cold and damp. Also the dueña charges different rates to different people for the same room, anywhere from 25 to 40 soles (single) and some get breakfast while others not. (Two others on my day tour stayed in the exact same room on consecutive nights). I was starting to feel ill after only a few hours in the room. Walked around, two blocks away found a huge quiet room on Jr Amazonas (no vehicle traffic) for 10 soles more. And they had a space heater, too. Suggest you do the same.

Their tour to Kuelap has a good guide (Agosto) but the other tours are not as well managed. Especially for Revash, where she did not tell me that I would also have to pay the arriero, and where se did not eat at the Leymebamba museum but rather in town.

Anyways shop around for price on tours as other than Kuelap this agency is resting on laurels and I can't imagine the others are any worse.

Room Tip: Dont take 213.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mlgb
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The place provides good value for money. It is located right at the Plaza de Armas and I could get a single room for 50 soles per night with 24 hours access to hot water. On the cons side, the Wi-Fi access was unreliable and I could connect only from a few selected locations which were neither the reception nor my room. Bathrooms are not cleaned everyday Tours are well-organized particularly if you speak Spanish - I took 3 tours with this hostal among which one had an English speaking guide.
All in all, not a bad choice (my rating is somewhere between average and Very Good)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The building itself is charming, the bed comfortable, and the location on the Plaza de Armas is great, but the longer we were there the more we couldn't wait to move on. We probably would have enjoyed the stay and services much better if we were still in our backpacking days, but that's not what we were seeking this time.

The owner, Jesus, does his best to coordinate the entire stay, but we didn't feel he was willing to be flexible to our needs. We also didn't appreciate the extra costs that jumped up when it came time to pay. To explain: we are used to traveling independently, and so learning we had been lumped into each of their daily group tours to Gocta falls and Kuelap was already not ideal, though admittedly it was much cheaper and meant we were led by Carlos, who is a GREAT tour guide and fluent in Spanish, English, and French. These tours left at 9am, which is too late for the best photography and for the waterfall it meant hiking thru the burning heat of the day (the guidebooks recommend to start MUCH earlier). The waterfall tour takes you to the base of the upper falls, which is by far less impressive than the view from the base of the lower falls that we found to be truly spectacular (note: the upper falls is a much easier hike, which is probably why the tours take you there-- it's also an easier drive for them). When we had tried to opt for arranging a much more expensive private tour instead of the group tour, Jesus was stubborn and insistent that we leave at a particular time (which defeats the purpose of hiring your own driver and really left us with a bad impression). Upon checkout, we were presented with a bill that was twenty soles more per night than they quoted when I booked by telephone, as well as an additional surcharge on our late-night pick-up from Pedro Ruiz (the bus company has mis-quoted our journey and arrival times, so a surcharge is understandable because they had to wait for us, but it would have been much better to tell us about this right away instead of --surprise!-- just throwing it on the bill at the end).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple