“Delicious lunch”

The Gumboot Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Fabulous lunch. Fresh food, interesting flavours. Very well put together. Cheery, friendly service. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I used to visit this restaurant regularly, but it's been just over a year since we've dined in "The Creek". We'd heard rumours of a new owner and a great new wine list, so we decided to visit again.

The food was good, if you're prepared to wait for it. Greens were fresh, and the in-house made beef burger was moist and really tasty. The service, however, was horrible.

We were greeted at the door without a smile, and a rather annoyed sounding, "Be right with you." We waited a long time for our beers, and well over 45 minutes for food even though the restaurant was half empty. In our nearly hour and a half there, neither server smiled ONCE. Something was forgotten on my husband's order and there was no apology given. No explanation was given for the long wait, in fact, we were unable to even make eye contact with our server while we waited. Our water wasn't even refilled once, and we sat in front of empty beer glasses for over 30 minutes.

There was no effort put into simply being friendly, much less any attention paid to details at all.

This place used to have a really great small town vibe, but I'm not sure I'll be back. I wondered if perhaps both servers were just having an "off" night, but now that I read the recent reviews I realize that is not the case.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We made a reservation for 6. Were taken to the worst table in the house - noisy, too bright from skylight, too close to stereo. Restaurant was half full but took 20 minutes before our drink order was taken. Ordered lamb burgers and received beef. Told server about this, and were told we were wrong. I guess it must have been one of those big lambs with horns. It was ok, but no more. Everything took too long, the conical roof funnelled all noise down at us, service was ok when we could hail a server, but getting noticed was difficult. We were basically mostly ignored.
I would go out of my way to avoid this place. Be warned.

1  Thank Allan M
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We previously visited the Gumboot Restaurant in the summer and decided to give it another shot. The food was great: I had the Thai noodle bowl and it was fantastic. I would order it again for sure. My husband had a similar bowl and equally enjoyed it. There was nobody in the restaurant when we arrived (around 5:30pm) and the servers were miserable. Not sure why this has been the case at this place on both visits, but it seemed like they both wanted to be anywhere BUT at the restaurant. The server asked me if there was anything else I wanted after she cleared my plate (was thinking about desert, but was not offered a desert menu, so scratch that!). All in all, decent food, but poor server attitude. Will possibly go back for the Thai noodle bowl again, but not holding my breath for a positive, friendly experience.

1  Thank shakeitup
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Don't go here on a weekend morning unless you are prepared to wait. We waited a full 40 minutes for our order, and we tried to be understanding, asking if they were short staffed. We were told no, we're just busy, see the big tables?

When our meals arrived, the Bombay was organic, fresh and hearty, but this does not have to mean absence of flavour. Even a heap of hot sauce didn't help., and there were a few pieces of what looked like boiled chicken, again, not a spice to be tasted.

My husband had the chicken burrito, with similar review. Hearty, filling and tasteless.

It is located in a gorgeous spot, rustic and worth visiting, but it would not turn me into a fan of "natural" food.

1  Thank baloovancouverbc