“Good location but overpriced for outdated amenities”
Review of Hotel Aeroehus

and 1 more site!
Hotel Aeroehus
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Aeroskobing
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed here two nights and enjoyed the location 1-1/2 blocks to the ferry and the large size room and bathroom.the shower had mold on the wall and soaked the floor with water. The towels were thin and the bed was ok. Great ventilation with the windows and the breakfast was delicious. Nom toaster for my home brought gluten free bread. Nice yogurts and cheeses and fruit. There was a lounge to use the wifi when it worked. We lost it at 8:30 pm. The re was a fridge in our room. Close to a nett a grocery store near the ferry. There was not a; front desk. You had to walk thru the restaurant and go to the bar. There was a hair dryer if you asked for it. No coffee in the room. Had a desk and a small table with three chairs. Beautiful flowers in the room area outside. We ate one dinner there and it was very good. Covered dining/drinking area. No room darkening drapes

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ackart

Reviewed 8 July 2011

The only real hotel in Aeroskobing, extremely well located and quite picturesque and cozy. This hotel would get a 4 star rating IF they charged 800kr for the room instead of the 1250 kr for a room for attached bathroom. Included breakfast with typical European content - cold meats, pastry but no eggs or high quality items like smoked salmon, and filling.

They were accommodating for a late checkout as we had rented good quality 7 speed bikes from them for a wonderful 15 mile ride around the center of the island, details in Rick Steeves Scandinavia guide book

Room Tip: review the pictures on the website
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FunOnly
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Some of my family is from Ærø. I was visiting the island with my Mother (I am a grown man from America). We did not want to get 2 separate single rooms, but I did not want to share a room with my Mother.

I called ahead just 1 day in advance of our arrival and talked to the owner. He said he had a room that would accommodate us and the price was fair. I booked the room for 2 nights. The owner also said there would be some noise until 9:30 every night because of the restaurant. I said that was fine and we'll see you tomorrow.

When we arrived at the island the hotel was very easy to find. We walked into the information center near the dock and they gave us a map and sent us in the right direction.

The room we stayed in was an stand-alone cottage (or apartment) near the entrance and they gave us that cottage priced as a double room. The cottage had 2 single beds upstairs and 2 single beds downstairs. It also had one bathroom, a kitchenette, small foyer, and a brick patio with table and chairs. The downstairs bedroom / kitchen also had a flat-screen TV with a decent selection of channels.

This cottage also appeared to be recently remodeled as everything was modern and in excellent condition.

My only complaints about the room were that the walls (interior) were pretty thin (not a big deal, but still) and the beds were a little stiff for my liking but not so much that it really interfered with my sleep.

There was noise but, like they told me when I booked, it ended at 9:30 when the restaurant closed. Since our room was near the entrance of the hotel "complex" we did hear some people as they walked in and out during the evening (my windows were kept open) but it was hardly what I would call disturbing. Compared with the street noise in Copenhagen this place was very quiet and not overly loud even when the restaurant was open but I suppose that depends on the crowd you get.

There were some bright lights but this apartment had shades in all of the windows which took care of that problem.

We had breakfast each morning at the hotel. Their breakfast was as good or better than I've had in hotels in Copenhagen. There was the usual fruit, bread/cheese/meat, yogurt, juice/coffee. There was also bacon, sausage and eggs which you don't find everywhere. The dining setting was also relatively elegant for breakfast with tablecloths, candles and flowers.

We also ate lunch several times at the hotel and found the food and drink to be great.

We rented bicycles which cost 75 kr/day each. That was a bit more than I was expecting, but with everything I was able to see it was well worth it. There were other places in town that rented bicycles, but I did not compare prices. The bikes themselves were decent. Mechanically sound and fairly sturdy. Definitely not sport material but a good general purpose bike.

I should also add that the service was excellent. Any time I went back to the bar / front office, if there was not someone already there, within 5 seconds of me ringing the bell, someone would show up. Very good service at both the hotel and the restaurant.

Some other notes / cautions. The hotel has Internet access but it is wired only. I only brought my iPhone so was out of luck. FYI, the information center down near the dock has a computer with Internet access that the public can use. Also, pay in cash if you can. There is a 5% surcharge for paying by credit card (at least in my case using a Mastercard). This is not a fee applied after the charge, but before the charge.

All in all, however, it exceeded our expectations and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank dohnato
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Re: Hotel Aerohus
Aeroe Island, Denmark

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS

My wife and I had the misfortune of staying at the Hotel Aerohus on Aeroe Island Denmark, for 2 nights, earlier this year. The rooms were small, cramped and uncomfortable, with bright outside lights which shined through the curtains all night directly into the rooms, making sleeping difficult. There is a very high level of noise from tour groups in the dining room, who have large noisy dinner parties directly across from the rooms, and who are permitted to play loud music until 1:00 a.m. and later, made going to sleep any earlier impossible. When we spoke on the phone, the owner Ule, had claimed that the hotel was extremely quiet. That night they staged a large noisy dinner party for the 30-35 tour guests in the dining room directly accross from our room.

Their restaurant is overpriced and has tasteless fried food, which is normally overcooked. We had the fried fish for $75.00 per person. The menu is in Danish only, and imagine our surprise to be charged $8.00 for tap water which we did not request and which is not stated on the menu we were informed. When we complained that we had not been informed by the waitress of this charge, the owner and his daughter, both of whom run this hotel and are extremely unfriendly and unhelpful, replied that charging for tap water was normal in Denmark. We knew this was not true, from having eaten in a number of good restaurants, none of which charged for tap water. While it may have seen better days in the past, the hotel Aerohus has deteriorated into a lodging that should be avoided at all costs.
As with many other victims of this hotel, we found Aero and this hotel through Rick Steve's guidebook. We found the owner/manager Ule, his daughter and certain waitresses to be impolite and uncaring to the guests, many of whom also complained about the bad food, bad service and bad rooms.

Gary Kauffman
San Rafael, California
USA

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank marincountyusa
Reviewed 24 October 2009

A nice place to stay on a very lovely island. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was good, the setting was absolutely charming. No air-conditioning, as it standard in most small hotels in Denmark, but we were fine with the windows open. Our room (in a little courtyard to the side of the main building) was dated but clean, and just big enough for two parents and two teenagers. We rented bicycles from the hotel and had a fun ride to Marstal and back. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank gingerbreadgirlSLC
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We spent two nights at the Hotel in August 2009. We booked a "comfort suite" for my wife and I traveling with two teenage daughters. The foom was a bit small but clean and the beds not the greatest but all is all comfortable. We are very noise sensitive and when we booked, I called Ule ( the owner) twice from the usa to confrim the booking and specifically request the most quiet location in the hotel. We routinely tell hotels that we will gladly sacrifice view for quiet. He laughingly told me that on this quiet island there would be no noise and this was a quiet spot in the Hotel. When we checked in and reiterated our request to the woman at the desk, she also laughed and said" there is never noise here, if you hear noise come and get me right away" The Hotel is not air conditioned and it was warm therefore we needed to leave the windows open but this was not an issue the first night of our stay. The second night, however, a previously booked tour bus arrived. That night they staged a large noisy dinner party for the 30-35 tour guests in the dining room directly accross from our room. When at 10:45 PM, I asked at the front desk for the manager ( as I had jokingly been instructed to do, I was told that they would speak with me in "the morning", that there was a party going on and that there was nothing they could do. I finally insisted that the unfortunate waitress left to deal with the party and me do something, she finally agreed to shut the windows of the arty area which at least helped a little. The next morning while checking out we were told "This is Denmark and a party at 11 PM is normal here".
We specifically made our request multiple times in advance and were reassured that there would be no concern while all the while they knew they had a previously booked party that would clearly disturb us. Had we been informed of this at any time befor that night, icluding when we checked in , we would have found other accomodations.
We foud Aero and this hotel through RickSteve's guidebook and loved our time on this gem of an island. Unfortunately, the approach of the manager (Ule) and his staff soured our time there and we would never return to this hotel and advise others to find someplace else to stay on Aeo ( there are other nice options). I will forward a copy of this review to www.ricksteves.com,

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank traveler1430
Reviewed 21 August 2009

The room was well designed and comfortable. The staff was very helpful. Good location in the town.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aeroskobing
Aeroe Hotel - Skipperbyen Marstal
#8 of 18 in Aeroskobing
Andelen Guesthouse
Andelen Guesthouse
#1 of 18 in Aeroskobing

Been to Hotel Aeroehus? Share your experiences!