“Surpassed expectations”
Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Surpassed expectations”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We knew their reputation as a high end hostelry with a Michelin star restaurant in a beautiful setting - so we were expecting a lot. Booked ourselves a one night stay with dinner to treat ourselves for our wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed - we had a wonderful visit. Frances Atkins culinary delights were exceptional - food beautifully presented and packed with flavours to die for. We selected a delicious (but pricey) wine to go with the food and overall our evening was everything we had hoped for. Bedroom was spacious but with that cosy feel that you just don't gets in chain hotels. Breakfast was scrumptious and generous - black pudding was a special highlight. It poured with rain the whole time we were there but we were so comfy in the hotel it didn't matter and we still managed a fairly long walk on the Sunday with flask of tea courtesy of room tea-making facility - thankyou! We were sorry to leave this cocoon of delight and it is definitely on our "to do again" list when next we can justify it! Now let me think...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnneKLeeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lake District
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My partner and I were walking around Nidderdale when we came across the Yorke Arms, perfect just at lunch time and the heavens had just opened! It looked fabulous from the outside, what a find, now all we needed was a huge log fire, hot soup, real ale and somewhere to dry the waterproofs! When we walked in, I have never felt so un comfortable, we asked if they were still serving lunch and were looked at as if we had just crawled out from under a stone.... we were told that lunch was rather an exclusive menu and perhaps not what we had in mind..... I thought my partner was going to explode! I asked for half a lager, after looking to see that a small glass of red wine was £6.95..... and my partner asked what real ales they had on....again it was very clear we werent wanted, they didnt have lager and just one beer. He did say he would see if he could 'find some crisps for us'....... I suggested my partner sat down in the foyer area and we politely took off our waterproofs and put our rucksacks down, our coke and glass of beer came and a dish of crips was put on the table. All the while we sat there a women kept walking by (very smartly dressed) and just kept 'watching' us, she never spoke or actually looked straight at us, but as if she was counting the cushions to make sure we didnt pinch them! we have never felt so uncomfortable. We finished our drinks and left, they couldnt get rid of us fast enough. There were 3 people having some lunch, otherwise the place was deserted. Not a nice yorkshire welcome!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Helvellyn2009
Esher, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We have been coming now to The Yorke Arms for at least 8 years, why ? When we live 300 miles away and there are so many quality hotels, good restaurants, in lovely settings around the country . Well, because in the case of this wonderful establishment it is difficult to better the experience. both from the quality of food and service as well as the quiet, isolated but stunning setting in the Yorkshire Dales. Frances Atkins and her team of talented chefs excel in providing culinary delights of originality and superb taste, the hotel team led by John Tullett compliment the experience with style and grace. But for us it is the sheer excellence of the dining experience that entices us back again and again, year after year. It never fails to excite and satisfy for which we give grateful thanks to this supremely talented chef and her team.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnSnel
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We planned this special trip for my husband's 40th birthday. Given previous advice regarding room choice I telephoned many months in advance to get the right room. I choose room 15, which was part of the old hotel, with a massive bath capable of allowing two people comfortably.

On arrival to the hotel we were welcomed warmly and shown to our room. We were very pleased with it. Beautiful comfortable furnishings and a bathroom to die for (though no door if you are bothered by privacy). We immediately set about to have bath. No hot water. After discussion with reception apparently the boiler had broken. They were very apologetic and we were upgraded to one of the superior courtyard apartment suites (room 17). Again, the furnishings were beautiful and a great space, but a bit lost for a one night stay - ideal if you are spending a few days at the hotel. BUT the bathroom had a normal bath, so for us we had lost the something we were really looking forward to, and we preferred the original room.

The dinner was overall very good. Drinks and nibbles in the bar. Meal and wine ordered. We ordered a jug a tap water for the table. The waitress recommended we didn't have the tap water as it wasn't considered ideal. What! Crisp Yorkshire water. It was ok to drink from the tap in the room (as there was no bottled water on offer here) but not in the restaurant. Starters and main courses were some of the best food we have ever tasted. Subtle flavours permeated through the food. Absolutely amazing. The dessert however let it down. I am fully willing to accept I may have made the wrong choice, but both desserts were lacking flavour, taste, and artistic flair. It is as though they haven't got a pastry chef at the moment. I left most of mine.

We asked a couple of questions about the flavours in the food via either the waiter or waitress throughout the meal and neither knew the answer. They were not difficult questions and it was clear they didn't know their product. They didn't offer to find out either. The waitress didn't enquire about why I had not eaten my dessert. I know we should comment if we have something to say but it is difficult to do this in a quiet restaurant.

We had a great sleep in extremely comfortable bed. The breakfast was also excellent.

To summarise; beautiful food and flavours, let down by the dessert and table service. The faulty bath/hot water let down a key element of the trip but understand things happen and they tried to rectify the problem. For the cost I expect perfection and sadly it was a little lacking.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bunnyhop_10
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The Yorke Arms was somewhere we as a family had wanted to try for quite sometime. With a weeks holiday we decided to go overnight. Having stayed at various places in Yorkshire we were really looking forward to the Yorke Arms and our expectations were quite high. The website certainly looked appealing. Upon arrival, Thursday afternoon in November first impressions from outside were that of a quaint welcoming hotel in a beautiful setting. Once inside we appeared to be the only customers in the building and when shown our rooms we were so shocked. They were tiny and cramped. In comparison to such as the Cleveland Tontine, Star at Harome, The Talbot Inn etc they were so dated. However, we decided that if everything else was excellent maybe we could put this to one side.

My daughter and I met my parents for pre-dinner drinks in the sitting area and still we were the only people there. We decided to try the tasting menu and were bombarded with various wines to accompany each dish but decided to choose our own and there was a distinct feeling that this was not approved of. As we were shown into the restaurant we found we were the only customers apart from another couple sat in the corner. As each course came we began to feel that something was not quite right. The atmosphere was terrible and the rather aloof staff kept pestering us continually talking over our conversations and filling our glasses up even when we had not drunk out of them. We have eaten in Michelin star restaurants previously but this one just did not compare. Only one course was outstanding and that was the ravioli with spinach, the others were more like an experiment without flavour. The bread was distinctly ordinary, the desert was bland and one course was dreadful. The staff stood near throughout the meal hovering and to be honest we felt we just wanted to leave. Maybe the breakfast would be better? But sadly not, just a very basic breakfast except once again on a miniscule scale but the sausage and bacon placed artistically on the plate! Also it occurred to us that if there were no other people in the hotel why then did they not accommodate us in larger bedrooms.

Overall a total disappointment trading on the fact it has a Michelin star. The staff were so pretentious, no atmosphere whatsoever and it does not compare to the other places we have previously stayed at. I can certainly see why the restaurant was empty. Also the work "greed" springs to mind. Thank goodness we did not have to stay for more than one night. Something about The Yorke Arms leaves a distinctly unpleasant taste in my mouth.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Claire P
Cumbrian
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in the Hotel with Dinner and were joined for the second night by our 2 daughters for an overnight stay and meal. Our room was a standard one which was of a good size but was slightly disappointing. Our daughter has a superior room for their night’s stay which was much better and worth the extra cost. At an establishment like this you have high expectations and both rooms were probably 5*, one just low and one high so do not be put off.

Our first nights meal was off the standard menu and fine although we waiting a long time for the main course and when it came, the meat was only just warm. Not sure what had gone wrong in the kitchen but the food was well presented and the staff very attentive.

The second night there were 4 of us and we had the tasting menu which was fantastic and provided a real selection of ingredients, all presented very well with good service. They produced a birthday cake for my daughter which was a nice touch.

Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and served very well.

An interesting stay that was pleasant and provided us with some good food. It has a growing reputation being third in the Sunday Times list and with a Michelin star so I have no doubt it will be popular for some time but it was not as memorable stay as we had anticipated and I am not sure we would look to rush back.

Room Tip: Go for a Superior room