“Perfect escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
North Wales
“Perfect escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from the Yorke Arms after an extremely enjoyable two night break.

The Yorke Arms is tucked away in the village of Ramsgill in Nidderdale in a lovely spot surrounded by hills. It is a perfect 'getaway from it all' location. On arrival we received a warm, friendly welcome. Our room, on the first floor in the main house (WIld Goose), was perfect and well equipped, and the adjoining bathroom had separate bath and shower. (The only thing I would remark on, and I'm reluctant to do so as I just loved the place, is that there was no door between bathroom and bedroom, which is a little disconcerting). The inn has a very comfortable lounge and bar for guests downstairs, which has wifi, and also a small courtyard for sitting out the back. Behind the hotel, across a pretty stream, is the beautiful kitchen garden where the produce for their excellent menu is grown.

The special midweek break rate (which we thought was pretty good value for the type of inn/hotel) included a three course meal in the Michelin-starred restaurant, including a pre-dinner cocktail, and also breakfast. The food is really excellent. Lots of interesting combinations of flavours, beautifully cooked and served. The restaurant staff are all extremely professional, but also very friendly and courteous. We loved that the dining room is comfortable and not at all pretentious.

There is honestly nothing I could fault. A lovely place to stay and we hope to visit again in the future. Thank you to all at the Yorke Arms.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SARA43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
ditchling
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here overnight in order to visit a friend living nearby. Had it cost less we should have stayed longer. The Yorke Arms is certainly not cheap, but it delivered on delight. The setting is glorious, near Gouthwaite Water, on a little village green which acts almost as an informal front garden.We were warmly welcomed and shown to a small courtyard behind the main (old and atmospheric, somewhat dark) main building. Our 'superior' room turned out to be two - in effect a tiny cottage, with living room on the ground floor, bedroom and (very smart, modern) bathroom upstairs. In contrast to the main building here everything was light, calm, cleancut lines and neutral colours. We loved it. Niggle: the basin taps (ours and our neighbours') were noisy. This didn't stop us from having an excellent night's sleep, and I really can't think of anything else we didn't like. Absolutely no trace of the offhand manners complained of by one or two other
reviewers.
The restaurant easily deserved its Michelin star for the food, although it certainly doesn't attempt the fussy crystalglassesstarchedtablecloths décor one might expect - indeed, there aren't any tablecloths. We ate dinner that evening and lunch the following day, and I should describe the food as faultless. In particular, the quail cooked in hay with a langoustine reduction was exquisite.
As for the gentleman who dressed up his little boys in fake DJs and thought the restaurant was not child friendly, we find this astonishing. There were children of all ages at dinner, breakfast and lunch, all perfectly happy (staff included).
Our sole criticism of the restaurant would be that we dislike being asked by a succession of waiting staff if we are enjoying our food. We enjoyed it greatly, but do not wish to be interrupted repeatedly to say so.
We'd love to return (funds permitting).

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard block, really tiny cottages, are modernised, light, calm and quiet. We loved...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DitchlingVoyagers
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My sons and I stayed one night on our recent road trip to Scotland. This was our "last stay" before heading back to London, so, wanted it to be special. Without much effort, it could have turned out better.

We stayed in a lovely cottage nearby, just a short walk to the Arms. When we booked, we thought we were just getting hotel style rooms in the renovated stables, not realising that we would actually get a Victorian/Edwardian small workers cottage/townhouse: Two bedrooms with renovated bathroom upstairs, plus, downstairs kitchen with large table, plus, lounge room. The kitchen didn't have a stove, just a very old 1980's style microwave. Very comfy beds and really a good space for a family stay. If we had have known, we would have catered for ourselves. Here's why...

The Yorke Arms has an amazing restaurant and appropriately Michelin starred. What we hadn't realised and what was not made clear on the website is that there isn't "a pub section", for more relaxed, family dining. So, my sons donned their dinner jackets and ties on a Saturday night and took their mum out on a "date". Very cute, not bad for an 8 and 6 year old. They had done this before at our other hotels (which also require guests to be "dressed" for dinner). They are very restaurant trained. They were the only kids in the restaurant and didn't cause a concern to others. On ordering, we were very clear with the wait staff that we simply wanted they boys fed as soon as possible, with the lovely hand made gnocchi on the menu (keep it simple, feed them soon please, everyone will be happy). Although we were one of the earliest dinner parties in the room (only two other tables in the restaurant before us), we were the last served, even after two interventions with the staff. The delay was because I had ordered the steak and they insisted on the mains coming out together. So, after 1.5 hours waiting finally the gnocchi arrived (which was lovely), my steak was excellent. However, by this time, the boys were completely over-hungry, over-tired and as a result, didn't end of eating much of anything other than bread and a few bits of the gnocchi (so, poor value for money). We were so cross with the staff - did they not communicate correctly to the chef, or, was the chef "teaching us a lesson" about bringing children to a nice restaurant. Really very stupid of them and we won't be back any time soon (perhaps that was their desire?). I'll take my money elsewhere.

By the way, breakfast was also quite nice!

Room Tip: If you are a family, best to take one of the cottages and self cater.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SDCTH
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and i called in for a mid week lunch on the spur of the moment and I am so glad that we did. I was very impressed by the staff who were very welcoming and knowledgeable providing an attentive level of service without being intrusive.
We both chose the set lunch and selected a medley of crab as the starter which was absolutely outstanding, delivering both an aesthetic and taste delight which I highly recommend.
The venison main course was cooked to perfection and left little room for the very imaginative cheese board dessert.
This superlative dinning experience was enhanced by the charming surroundings, the restaurant being located in a 17th century building off great character.
We look forward to returning to The Yorke Arms in the autumn when, I hope, the open fires will be burning!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlotte b
Huby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We booked for Sunday lunch to celebrate my daughters birthday. The staff could not have been more welcoming. We had arranged for champagne to be served pre lunch and this was served in the lounge along with hand cooked crisps and parmesan tartlets. We were attended by a lovely young Scot who was knowledgable about the menu. He gave us the chefs recommendations and took our order. We were escorted to the dining room and had a lovely big round table. Bread with butter and oil arrived, several different freshly baked breads, beautiful. This was followed by an amuse bouche of gazpacho with a tiny scoop of almond ice cream, delightful. The main menu had something for everyone. I decided on crab five ways as a starter and was delighted by the beautifully presented dish. If that had been my lunch I would have been happy. I followed with a wonderfully succulent plate of Pouisson. Dessert was, in my case, a plate of chocolate. All of my fellow diners ate different dishes and were all more than happy. We withdrew to the garden where we enjoyed tea, coffee and petite four. Ms Atkins was in the garden and was happy to sign a copy of the menu for my daughter. All in all a fabulous experience. I'm now looking for an excuse to return. I feel the Yorke Arms is excellent value for money and we were impressed by all of the staff. Thank you for a lovely day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynngra
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for one Sunday night with an evening dinner and breakfast the Monday morning.

The Initial welcome by the very sour faced blond lady was far from what one would expect from a £400 a night hotel. "Checkin' in?!" was the only abrupt comment we received.
No "Good afternoon Sir / Madame, how was your journey" etc.
Not met or assisted to our room in torrential rain with heavy bags at all. Very poor service. Pull your fingers out Yorke Arms and train your FOH staff.

The room was adequate but very small for the price asked. One wonders how they can trade on London prices... The bathroom had second rate tiling (could do better myself), a tiny tub, with complementary decorative cobwebs on the ceiling! The bathroom suite was far too 'modern' for the style and setting of the building, but thats perhaps just me!

That aside, the bed was the most comfortable I have slept in, the views exquisite, and the food to die for! I resisted the temptation to have a £9 GnT from the mini bar in the wardrobe (!) mind you...

Would we stay again? Hmm. The staff were well presented with a good knowledge of what they were serving. Perhaps an appearance by the Chef would have been appreciated by diners to show that it was actually the famed Chef herself....

I honestly like this place, but I can't help feeling they are trading off the star...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for half the price!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J R
South Shields, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Sadly I have not stayed at the Hotel, but was keen to take my son for his birthday I emailed the hotel and John the General Manager replied. He seemed very efficient and helpful in giving me the rates etc, but I think he became very abrupt and sarcastic when I mentioned the deal at £300 per couple midweek. His customer care certainly needs addressing. Sadly at £430 for one night I was unable to afford it but I would not really want to go somewhere if the skills of the management team left you feeling rather deflated. The impression was if you’re not rich enough then do not come!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
The Old Deanery
The Old Deanery
#1 of 5 in Ripon

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!