“I do hope they update this for next year”

Centre Historique Medieval - Azincourt
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Being 'in the trade' (historical) I was interested to visit the museum & site with the anniversary coming up next year, and staying nearby provided an opportunity.
I was very taken by the design of the entrance and the loos were good but was a bit disappointed by the dated interpretation. The 'talking head' projections of the first a/v seemed misaligned and poor old Henry V looked like he was suffering from some odd facial disease; the 2nd a/v item - a plan of the battlefield with the story projected onto it - was a Kodak Carousel presentation probably state of the art back in the 70's or 80s, but the centre opened in 2001 (I think) so they should have spent a bit extra to get more modern techniques. The 3rd a/v went on about the date as thought it was one of the most important in history.
The displays were so 'wordy' I rather lost interest - and I'm interested in history!
Contemporary objects on display were interesting, although the English translations raised a smile (but there were translations) and on a first floor display area were exhibits on the weaponry of the period which I found fascinating. Figures with monitors for faces here didn't seem to be working but resembled figures with cardboard boxes on their heads. Some suspended, dome-like audio speakers reminded me of 'Beam me up Scottie' contraptions and rather than contain the sound it seemed to 'bleed' everywhere.
There didn't seem to be much on sale in the shop where a decent (English) guide could have served a need.
I'm glad we didn't walk the battlefield as even a slow drive around it revealed little of interest in the agricultural fields - apart from a memorial.
Had a beer & sandwich in the Café Charles VI just down the road - and I can appreciate why we were the only ones in there!

1  Thank Tony C

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Not as close to Calais as the map suggests and took longer to get to than we expected. When we arrived we seemed to be the only visitors and they turned the lights on for us!
There is an informative collection of arms and armour, together with explanations of the facts surrounding the battle. The audiovisual display was unusual but quite interesting.
As I am interested in Medieval history I enjoyed the visit, if you're not really interested there's not enough to make a trip sensible.
The battlefield (in the rain) was difficult to make head or tail of.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were staying in Calais and decided to drive to Azincourt. We were the only ones there on a Saturday morning, but it's quite interesting with various displays and an audio visual presentation which was a bit dated, but still informative. The battle fields are a few mins drive away but there's nothing to really see there. If you are interested in history it's well worth a short visit.

1  Thank llamacalmer
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Close to the actual field of battle - which is as nondescript as most ploughed fields - is the visitor centre. Well worth a trip, if only to pull on the weight they have installed inside which graphically demonstrates the strength of Henry V's archers. It is a real heave, and when you consider they were loosing arrows at a rate of twenty to thirty a minute, you get a sense of their tremendous power. The field of battle is well displayed, and the conditions of the time shown in all their mud-laden glory. Probably worth giving Bernard Cornwell's eponymous book a read beforehand to get a real feel.

3  Thank Foodiehag
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We visited Azincourt with family, including 2 very young children (aged 5 and 2), and I would have to say there's not much there for such young ones. We adults quite enjoyed the visit, however, despite some shortcomings in the audio visual presentation.

Most of the battle is portrayed in words and pictures on the usual display boards, in French and in English. What was unusual here is that the English was not a translation of the French. I don't know which of the versions is the most true historically speaking - the main difference is that the French version made much of the madness of the French king, Charles VI, while the English made more of the difference in army numbers (the English army was miniscule in relation to the French), and the fact that they'd already tramped over large areas of France and were exhausted. Both versions described the differences in weaponry - the French used crossbows while the English used longbows.

The a-v presentation (English) was very old fashioned in that they use a number of overhead projectors that constantly clicked and jerked their way through the story of the battle, while the final video seemed to imply that the English are obsessed with it!

Still, I will probably never forget that it took place on 25th October, 1415!

Directions were given to a 4km walk round the battlefield itself. We did the walk, but really they've made very little of it. It was difficult to work out which of the fields we were walking round was the actual battleground, and there was only one orientation table which didn't seem to be pointing in quite the right direction!

Still, we had a good day out, and it's not a bad idea to get some exercise when on holiday!

2  Thank ChrisJMac