“Just about worth a visit”

Centre Historique Medieval - Azincourt
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Just about worth a visit”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The museum does provide some useful information and insights mainly in the exhibits on the upper floor. But as other reviewers have pointed out, the audio/visual show is very strange indeed and adds very little in terms of objective information.

The most disappointing aspect is that no real effort is made to connect the information provided about the battle with the scene of the battle itself. It is possible to walk round the battlefield but without any clear explanation of how the armies were positioned or how the battle progressed it is not a very satisfying experience. All you have is a large number of 'cardboard' figures set out seemingly at random all over the place !

So just about worth a visit particularly on a fine day but it could be so much better. Hope they try to improve it for 2015 - though I realise that 1415 is not a date the French celebrate !

Visited June 2014
2 Thank alexandercook

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Agincourt”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We visited this site while staying in Le Touquet and enjoyed the museum/visitor centre. The exhibits, and especially the table showing the layout of the battle with the positions of the two armies, were good and the descriptions were all interesting.

The films with the animated talking figures were not so good though and the figure of Henry V had a rather grotesque face. Maybe the French getting their own back? It did not help that there was a group of Dutch people there at the same time who were taking the Mickey about the whole thing in rather loud voices.

The surrounding countryside was lovely. We were given a map of the battlefield location that was difficult to follow. It showed an orientation table sited near to the site but it was difficult to work out from this where the events actually took place. A little more clarity in this respect would have helped. Overall though it was a very worthwhile visit.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Kenneth F
Tokyo
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Overpriced for moderately interesting exhibit”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I find it shocking that this place costs more than the Louvre for a family of 4 (they charge under-26's). It is nice that there is a museum, as the battlefield has limited signage. However, other than a few placards, there is very little historical information about the war and battle and a good BBC documentary is much more informative. There was a very random audio-visual display and a small armor display. I gave it a 2-star instead of 1 bc we'd gone way out of our way and I have to feel it was at least somewhat worth it.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank oliviapulley
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“More of a book than a museum”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The theatrical antics of Robin Hood interested me little and the sharp shooting ideals of olympic style accuracy I found laughable. I have read numerous historical accounts of the fearsome English (and Welsh) archers at battles such as Falkirk in 1298, Crécy in 1346 and Agincourt in 1415. This interest lead me to buying a bow, joining a club and taking up the sport of archery in a competitive capacity. The film Henry V and the St Crispin day speech by Kenneth Branagh is an absolute classic and motivated me to make a pilgrimage to France to see the actual battlefield and take a tour of the museum dedicated to the battle.

The day of my visit mirrored the popular image of the day when the battle was actually fought. The rain was teeming down as we drive from Hesdin on the D928. The battlefield and the museum was clearly signposted as we neared the village of Azincourt. On the approach to the museum there were a number of painted figures on shaped wooden panels depicting archers, knights and foot soldiers. The quality of the artwork was quite infantile and actually made us smile (well..... laugh out loud to be honest).

The lady at the cashier point asked where we had came from and finding out we had come from the UK she told us that films within the exhibition would be viewed in English at specific times.

My first impression was rather disappointing - it seemed that the museum was more of pictures and illustrations supported by a lots text. It was essentially reading an illustrated book on walls. I was stunned at some of the inaccuracies in facts that I had read from previous academic sources. Upstairs was more interesting with more hands on and educational exhibits. There was a device comprising of a rope (which was to simulate a bow string) attached to a weight and you got the chance to experience the draw weight of a long bow. There was also a number of exhibits to try on or feel armour, archers leather and cloth jerkins, swords etc.

There were some movie exhibits, in English - at certain times, and a tacky talking head made from film projected onto a manekin.

Similar to the awful artwork outside on the roads leading to the village and the museum there were more frightful exhibits using ‘Action Man’ dolls. I had a few of the Action Man figures when I was a boy and it was funny to see the standard commando figure (with scar on cheek) and the sailor (which the closely trimmed beard). The museum had these figured dressed up in the costumes of the English and French armies to show you who was involved in the battle or to re-enact scenes.

I think that had the French won the battle there would be more effort on making a higher quality museum. But it was an interesting, and amusing, experience all the same.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank bill_a_graham
Alton, Hants
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I do hope they update this for next year”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Being 'in the trade' (historical) I was interested to visit the museum & site with the anniversary coming up next year, and staying nearby provided an opportunity.
I was very taken by the design of the entrance and the loos were good but was a bit disappointed by the dated interpretation. The 'talking head' projections of the first a/v seemed misaligned and poor old Henry V looked like he was suffering from some odd facial disease; the 2nd a/v item - a plan of the battlefield with the story projected onto it - was a Kodak Carousel presentation probably state of the art back in the 70's or 80s, but the centre opened in 2001 (I think) so they should have spent a bit extra to get more modern techniques. The 3rd a/v went on about the date as thought it was one of the most important in history.
The displays were so 'wordy' I rather lost interest - and I'm interested in history!
Contemporary objects on display were interesting, although the English translations raised a smile (but there were translations) and on a first floor display area were exhibits on the weaponry of the period which I found fascinating. Figures with monitors for faces here didn't seem to be working but resembled figures with cardboard boxes on their heads. Some suspended, dome-like audio speakers reminded me of 'Beam me up Scottie' contraptions and rather than contain the sound it seemed to 'bleed' everywhere.
There didn't seem to be much on sale in the shop where a decent (English) guide could have served a need.
I'm glad we didn't walk the battlefield as even a slow drive around it revealed little of interest in the agricultural fields - apart from a memorial.
Had a beer & sandwich in the Café Charles VI just down the road - and I can appreciate why we were the only ones in there!

Visited March 2014