“Holigay”

Holgate, Australia
“Holigay”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Beautiful chateaux.
We stayed for 1 month and enjoyed every day.
Magnificently furnished& very comfortable a dream.
Surrounding forest & countryside,
Very peaceful & relaxing and quiet.
Laura was extremely helpful with all our questions & gave us information
On local markets & places to visit.
The chateaux is situated to enjoy much of Brittany .
Ron & anat

Room Tip: Room on the north side sunny and beautiful .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I was surprised to read disappointing reviews of the place. I didn't have GPS and I found it very easy to find by car, just asking a local or two, with my few words of French. We arrived late evening. When I asked Daniel if I could get a glass of wine, he wrinkled his eyebrows - and invited us into the parlor for a bottle of very good red wine, with him, on the house. Then he had made reservations at a spectacularly cosy small restaurant in nearby Bain de Bretagne. We were there doing geneological research into my husband's family history, and without asking, Laure VERY generously provided much research on her own. I rate it slightly low only because the site said there was an outdoor jacuzzi but it was turned off for the season. The room was huge. The heating was great, which we didn't expect for a space so old and spacious.. The bathroom was completely renovated. The setting was very quiet. We had the place to ourselves nearly and were very, very content. I've spent more money and not had that spaciousness or generosity. We are hoping to rent the whole chateau for the family for a week in 2013 or 2014. Thank you Daniel and Laure! No they are not relatives of mine and no, I do not speak French.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Fantastic aspect, but in much need of care attention and thought. We rented the entire Chateau as a base for a week.
The rooms were musty, the plumbing a nightmare, but the owner was helpful.
Fridge full of old stale food, clutter everywhere.
On the last night a local who works on the Chateau wandered in and took up residence without a word. Very unpleasant

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Fitzman22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Don’t worry – you’ll never find it. Our hosts – Daniel doesn’t speak English, and Laura has a smattering, think it amusing that GPS references send you to a farm on the other side of the remote village. It is VERY difficult to find.

And they just stand there and smile as you struggle in with your luggage.

There is no Reception – later on, try to find Daniel if you can – bang on the door under the stairs and you’ll find him on the phone and oblivious to you.

One disappointment leads to another. The place was a crumbling ruin – and still needs a major refurb. Our room was a major disappointment – there was no wardrobe to hang clothes – and no drawers either. The carpets were cheap, worn, ragged and dirty. There were no amenities – no hairdryer – no safe – not even any tissues. We had 1 VERY small piece of soap each and 2 mostly used toilet rolls. There was a new flat screen TV – but only French language channels. Furniture was second-hand style, it was cheap and tacky, with damp in the walls and plaster.

There is no restaurant – but Daniel offered to cook something. Shame that the dog likes the kitchen as well. The village is a drive away – and good luck finding a restaurant there…

The heating comes on at 6 pm – and you would be hard pushed to notice.

They have good internet connection – but Daniel doesn’t know how it works. They have a repeater/extender system – but make sure it is plugged in, and get the access code from the back of the unit (not the rubbish that Daniel gives you).

They cannot handle Credit Cards – it’s cash payment only !!! Real Dark Ages.

If this is French chateaux I would rather go camping.

I wouldn’t send my dog there.

Room Tip: Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mike99Marg
laure b, Propriétaire at Chateau du Bois Glaume, responded to this review, 20 December 2015
Deat Sir ,

I think you have made a confusion between a hotel and a bed and breakfast . It is very surprising not to know what a bed and and breakfast is .
You arrived in our personnal house in a very bad humor and do not greet correctly . In France , the bases of politeness is to say Madame and not to use my first name . You are not in the US and we don't know each other . You didin't answer when i have asked " may I help you for the luggage .
We have dogs , children , no international channel , our house is a 350 years castle listed historical monument . We love our family house and the way we live .
I receive guests for 26 years , I have never met someone like you .
I have used my very bad english to answer but I am very sure that it is better than your french .
Dietikon, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed in the Suite Bouvreuil for 2 nights. The room was clean and nicely furnished. The window offered a nice view into the park. The bathroom however was a quite aged (probably from the 80s), spartan and could use some refurbishing. The breakfast was simple but fresh.The host was friendly and helpful. We can recommend this B&B to anybody looking to sleep in a nice chateau without paying too much.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Shropshire, U K
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed her en route to South - fantastic place, steeped in history with superb food and service.

Rooms clean but don't expect boutique style - comfortable and tranquil

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SueMShropshire
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed in this beautiful castle for 3 nights in February of 2011, and I can't imagine having a more perfect bed-and-breakfast experience. Absolutely breathtaking castle and grounds, with a veritable menagerie of friendly animals wandering around (dog, cat, goats, ducks, swans, peacocks, etc.). The owner, Laure, speaks fluent English and was very, very friendly; she made me feel like a guest in her home. Three hours from Paris by (very clean and comfortable) train, and the perfect "home base" for exploring the beautiful and charming countryside in Brittany. Easy day trip to historic St. Malo and the famous Chateaubriand; the historic city of Rennes with its multitude of incredible cathederals, great museums, and friendly natives is less than 30 minutes by car. I still almost can't believe that I stayed in a castle! My friends and family were so impressed (and jealous) when they saw the pictures I took!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank James194
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poligne
Hotel Bel Air
Inter Hotel de La Chaussairie
Best Western Plus Hotel Isidore
Best Western Plus Hotel Isidore
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jacques-de-la-Lande

Been to Chateau du Bois Glaume? Share your experiences!