All reviewstissington trailcontinental breakfastpeak districtafternoon teathe main hotelyogurtfull englishdirect accessmain roadpieroad noiselovely roomtea and coffee making facilitieslady on receptionspent two nightsreception arealarge room
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed week-end of Sat 22-23 June. We came with the intention of cycling the Tissington trail which is literally at the end of the hotels garden. We cycled to Ashbourne and back on the Saturday and Sunday we intended to cycle the other way to Pasley Hay but unfortunately the rain was so bad that we only got half way and then had to turn back. If you are intending to walk or cycle the trail/trails then you could not find in our opinion a more perfectly located hotel.

We had a lovely bright room overlooking the garden and the hotel is exceptionally clean with friendly staff that have that all important ' Can do attitude '.

We will at some point attempt to cycle the trail again, and would definately consider this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 - two single bedded room with views over rear garden. Very quite
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We paid for this hotel thro' KGB last year then in April this year made the booking.
On arrival we noticed that the hotel looked a little run down but ok.
We found the reception area after a fashion because the main entrance was blocked .
Taking into consideration we had just travelled 90 miles and being in our 60's wanted a sit down and have a cup of tea. We then met the owner from hell who said because we had booked thro' KGB we had no contract with him and that for us to frequent his establishment would require another £59 , I told him in no uncertain terms that I would not pay him another penny ,to which he answered you can get a refund from KGB. After this person had waffled his way thro' another ten minutes of blagging and accusing the CLEANING LADY of taking the initial booking we departed this den to drive yet another 90 miles back home.
To anyone who is thinking of using this facility FORGET IT STAY AT HOME.

1  Thank bcb504022
Reviewed 23 June 2013

For some reason trip advisor won't allw me to leave a 0 star review but I feel it's worth noting in my opinion the venue does not deserve 1 star. We had been greatly looking forward to our 2 night stay booked several months ago and paid for via groupon! Unfortunately, despite having had previous email correspondence and having provided both landline and mobile telephone numbers, it was not until i telephoned to organise late check in (en route from South West Wales) due to car problems, that I was informed the hotel had been taken over and the new owner was unwilling to honour our existing booking - indeed there was a room for us but one that we would have to pay for - despite having already prepaid. His attitude was disgusting, his manner was patronising and offensive and when i questioned why we had not been told prior to the day of arrival I was given a particularly lame excuse, when I suggested that it might be helpful for him to at least try and see things from my point of view or show even a little empathy the 'gentelman' put the phone down on me! I work in the hospitality industry myself and would soon be out of a job if I even considered treating customers in this way, I have little doubt the hotel will soon need to be taken over again because with an attitude like the one demonstrated I can't envisage customers flocking to the place. Saddly I cannot review the hotel itself as having already paid once for our holiday we were unable to afford to pay again so our much awaited (and needed) trip away was instead ruined. I'm hoping we can at least get our money back but trading standards have also shown a keen interest in our experience so i'll be sure to update our review once they have conducted their investigations.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had a 2 night weekend break at Newton House & we couldn't fault the guest house or the management, ours was also a kgb voucher deal booked last year, the manager was upfront & honest about the voucher & instructed me to obtain a refund from kgb [ which I did with no problems what so ever] & then honoured our booking for the same price.
We would defiantly stay here again, although the room was a little on the small side it was quiet & comfortable.

I was most impressed that with the complimentary tea & coffee you actually had a choice of different types of milk & cream to choose from, [ never had that before ] nice touch I thought.
The new owners should do well, nothing was too much trouble for them & they were keen to do all they could for guests. Thank You

Room Tip: Make sure you request a bath as not all the rooms have them.
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked through Groupon. Overall this was a great break. Good value, stunning location, clean and spacious family room, tasty breakfast. However the weekend was
somewhat soured by my son being bit by a member of staff's dog the minute we arrived. Once I established who the owner was, they were apologetic and kept the dogs locked up for the rest of my stay. I only hope this was a one off and the dogs (2 Jack Russells) were not back and unleashed the minute I left. Sadly my 6 year old son is now scared of dogs and remembers the B&B for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed: May 2013