Newton House
Priceline
US$119
US$115
Hotels.com
All reviewstissington trailpeak districtthe main hotelafternoon teayogurtfull englishmain roadpielady on receptionroad noisereception areatea and coffee making facilitiesspent two nightsnight breakroom was clean and comfortablevery pleasant stayan evening meal
Reviewed 1 January 2014

What no one seems to be mentioning is that this hotel is literally on the side of one of the noisiest, busiests roads I have ever come accross, with the speed limit being totally ignored. Many lorries and hgv's thundering along at all hours. The Peak District area is beautiful, we were fortunate with the sunny weather. You clearly need a car if staying here as there is nothing in walking distance, unless, of course you are a 'walker' or a rambler. Clive, the manager is extremely penny pinching in a way, as we observed him going around turning lights off, saying it was a waste of money. He also mentioned not having a supply of gas into the property due to the high bills. You have to order a cooked breakfast well in advance as they cook it from calor gas!! The lounge is quite miserable and there was no one even serving on the bar on one of our 2 nights.. there is nothing to do nearby and restaurants are quite a drive away. Overall, the place was clean and the continental breakfast was ok - one dislike of mine is that there was a large cat which had the run of the place, sitting on the furniture etc. I nearly had a heart attack when it appeared between my feet, almost causing me to fall, whilst visiting the breakfast buffet - which to me is unnacceptable - it seemed to belong to the manager, who wouldn't have a bad thing said about it and refused to put it outside?? - Although we continually asked for a quiet room before our stay, I think we were given the noisiest room - with the unbearable traffic noise, which inevitably resulted in little sleep. When asking about a room at the back of the hotel, we were told that we would still be distured by the herd of cows being led out for milking early in the morning. The hotel is run with skeleton staff, who appear to disappear during the evening. The area is absolutely stunning - probably not so much in winter time - the sunshine definitely helped. Clive the manager seems to have a strong personality and does not deal with complaints or criticism very well. With a few improvements and really listening to guests suggestions it could be so much better - one can only try!! ......one tip - you have to refill your tea cup from an urn.. yuk! ask one of the waitresses, who don't seem to have a lot to do, to provide you with a teapot. Major issue - not one person could get wi-fi connection......... again, the manager made excuses!

Room Tip: Large ear plugs !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sillygirlUK
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Wonderful location in the Peak District. We had 3 rooms in an outside section of the main house, these were adequate for our needs - although dated and tired out and in definite need of a refurb. The beds were extremely comfortable, which isn't very normal when travelling around - for which I applaud them ! The main staff were very friendly and welcoming. Couple of points to note, when I rang to check if there was food available locally was informed there were "loads of places"....... Maybe because we are City girls local has a different meaning, but we would have struggled to find any food available within 5 miles (which is quite a way in the dark and windy roads late at night). So, eat before you get there, and you'll be OK. There's also only a TV in one room of the units. The continental breakfast is of a cheap & poor quality I'm afraid. However, it is a buffet so you can fill up as much as you like. Saying that, we had a pleasant time and slept well.

Room Tip: No food available on site, or close by, so be prepared.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SallyLado1
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Fawlty Towers is amusing to outsiders and awful for the few involved. I have usually been on the outside, but not this time. We arrived at the building looking into a foreboding empty shabby seventies style lounge and a barely readable rough sign pointing to the side and drove into the concrete side yard. Opening the door of the car allowed entry of our first smell of pig excrement and the attention of a wandering dog.. Aaah the country! Some would say. I left my wife in the car and picking the cleanest route across the yard got to the side door where a homemade print out advised me to take off my muddy boots before entering. I entered a long cold, gloomy hall. It was damp and smelled disgusting, possibly dogs. There was a light in a side office with dog and two guys chatting and I introduced myself and the brown dog started snarling at me until restrained by the manager. He gave me a bent black and white plastic place setting with no 15 on and said I must take that with me in the mornings for breakfast even though there would only be two customers there. Hey! Posh! My own mobile place setting already!
He also gave me a key and code number. With this I would be able to get back in the building after he had gone out for a drink with his friend and left the place empty (dogs?). He hoped that I would not have too much trouble re-entering. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! He offered to show me the room and we walked down yet another cold gloomy corridor passed by a small wandering multi-coloured dog who seemed to know where he was going and into the cold scruffy 70`s time warp lounge without heating and introduced me to the occupant of the settee, a ginger cat. He told me to be wary and showed a still bloody five inch scratch down his arm. The cat obviously didn’t like being moved from his favourite seat. He pointed somewhere and said that the bar had the best Wi-Fi but was closed and then we ascended the stairs through the cold, passing two radiators that were ice cold. We entered my room with its open window which he quickly shut blaming the previous Naughty Greek tenant for smoking in the room. I felt the radiator and it was ice cold so I asked if it worked, which started him ranting a gain about the previous Naughty Greek customer tampering with the heating. I asked if he had another room as obviously he was not prepared for guests and he said not and to just give the heating a few minutes as the water had to come a long way!. I advised that the two radiators on the stairs were stone cold and he said he knew! When I asked why, his illuminating reply was an aggressive “because they are! “. Silly me! Fancy me asking that!.
Two hours later after three visits downstairs with my wife (who is recovering from pneumonia and hospital), sitting in her coat in the cold room and no heating and also no TV and no warm lounge to go to I was getting a tad rough at the edges. Two and a half hours and warmth started to come to the radiator and it may have started to warm the room up but went off again in the evening leaving a cold night. I must admit I swore a little. The TV that he had advised my wife to retune and had retuned it himself when she failed, he explained had been tampered with by the Naughty Greek! I got him to fix it as he could not exchange it nor exchange our room, but it failed in a mass of pixilation in the evening.
At least the Wi-Fi worked even though we could not access the bar or bear the frozen lair of scratch cat and I booked a Day`s Inn Hotel for the following day.

In the morning My wife refused to go for breakfast in a place like this, so I wrapped up warm, ventured down the cold corridor into the frozen retro lair of the scratchy cat and into a cold dining room where two other people were trying to keep warm. I placed my personalised number fifteen place setting on the table I chose and ordered my breakfast from the waitress with the scarf wrapped around her neck, wishing I had one. The other couple had preferred not to use the cold retro lounge of the scratchy cat and had stayed in their room. My breakfast was served with a burnt black sausage which I refused. The waitress /cook went to make another whilst I finished my breakfast and as it hadn’t arrived I left and returned through cold to my semi warm bedroom, now with a half warm radiator (the top half needing to have the air bled from it). We packed and were just ready to leave when the waitress/cook arrived. I was bit peremptory in shouting and telling her to give my sausage to the brown dog and actually found her apologising for a burnt offering that she herself had not burnt herself. I quietened down and thanked her for her apology as it was the first I had heard and her genuine embarrassment. It could not have been that naughty Greek guy to blame as he was gone.
I then packed the car returning to the “manager” shall we call him and explained to his face why I thought the place was disgusting and pathetic and that I was leaving. He was vehement that the stinky corridor did not stink, and now the malfunctioning TV was no longer the fault of that Nasty Greek but was the local transmitter. I advised him that he was responsible for everything in his awful hotel including TV, heating and cooking and that if he was not prepared and ready for visitors, then he should not have them. He wished me luck in finding a better place???!!!
My opinion was that he heated to a minimum, just one bedroom and then only before I arrived due to economy. I was not convinced that the previous Naughty Greek had turned off the inadequate heating so he could be comfortably frozen with the window open and smoking in front of a television that he had broken.

Whoever recommended this place previously on Trip advisor was either on a packed hotel on a warm day or imbibing chemicals that are illegal. My wife was not amused!! Carry on John Cleese! The spirit of Faulty Towers lives on but Don`t mention zee Naughty Greek!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank fishermanNeLincs
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Clive the owner was very friendly and welcoming. It is in a fantastic location and I would recommend staying here if you visit the Peak District. Newton House offered a very good room and was very clean with a good en-suite. The continental breakfast was good but the cooked breakfast was to be desired it could of been better. I would definitely stay here again and intend to on my next visit to the Peak District.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 17 and 18 that overlook the garden with a beautiful view I would recommend both rooms. I would suggest any room would be desirable because it is away from heavy traffic and in a good location.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William W
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Spent a two night break here on a Groupon deal which was excellent value. Newton House is in a great position and as we had a room in the converted stable block, we could park the car right outside and it was very convenient for taking our dog out. The gardens are lovely, we weren't troubled by any road noise, bedroom was clean and a good size and the bed was very comfy.
So why wouldn't I be willing to pay full price? The room was very cold; the single radiator was not sufficient to warm the room during the time it was actually on (the central heating is obviously on a timer system so you just get a few hours in the morning and again late afternoon/early evening. Had to sleep with a jumper and socks on! Call me picky, but I really hate being given plastic teaspoons and plastic glasses in the room - it just seems so mean and inhospitable. The continental breakfast was pretty basic - rock hard croissants cut in half (again, appears mean), cellophane wrapped pastries, processed cheese and ham. There was no non-butter spread, no choice of different teas, no lemon slices, and no yoghurt. The water for the self-service tea was pretty nasty - it tasted like it had been boiled and reboiled time and time again in the urn. As two staff stood around chatting for most of the duration of our breakfast, surely their time could be better utilised in providing fresh pots of tea?
Newton House has such a lot of potential and with a bit more attention to the comfort and nurturing of its guests, could be very good - but sadly it just felt like everything was being done on the cheap.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple