Newton House
US$98
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
The Lathkil Hotel(Over Haddon)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstissington trailpeak districtthe main hotelafternoon teayogurtfull englishmain roadpielady on receptionroad noisereception areatea and coffee making facilitiesspent two nightsnight breakroom was clean and comfortablevery pleasant stayan evening meal
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Bought a groupon voucher booked up 2 months in advance. Booking confirmed then heard nothing again, until the day we were travelling (from Bristol) to say the room wasn't available as it had been double booked! Got offered an extra night as compensation so travelled up last week. On arrival the hotelier complained at our lateness advising he should be in bed. it was 9:15pm, we'd already told them we'd be travelling after work and would be late.

Room appeared ok - clean enough and tidy. BUT the shower tray was blocked so any more than 3 minutes with the water running and it was overflowing onto the floor and in a twin room my sister then had to wait for shower tray to empty before she could shower. The hairdryer came on but didn't blow air so the element overheated - not a safety risk at all! Then when some workemen changed a light fitting on day 2 they left said fitting in the bathroom, along with small parts and lots of dust from the drilling. We were unable to get wifi in our room and there's no phone reception because you're in the middle of nowhere.

Add to this the attitude of the male hotelier (the ladies were lovely), who made disparaging comments about Groupon customers, complained about people asking for advice (that what Tourist Advice centres are for, apparently) and his never ending whine about the 250 emails he had to read through,

By the time we left I felt like an inconvenience and not a paying customer who took them up on a deal that they offered. Oh and it's a continental breakfast only if you are a Groupon customer (say this to yourself in a grumpy male voice), as only the proper customers get a cooked breakfast included in the price.

Great location, great house, mostly nice staff but sort out the shower, the hairdryer, your booking system and that grumpy sod who likes the sound of his own voice and perhaps we'll come back - if the price is right.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank robincharmer
Reviewed 24 March 2014

just visited Newton house we received for christmas present kafter reading reviews was a little worried , need not of been ashate being cold, room warm and we stayed in converted stable as we had our dog breakfast plentiful , ordered cook breakfast for Sunday, had walk on Tissington trail blew cob webs off had a fab meal in coach and horses, staff friendly , would go again, but you do need transport

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 16tmason
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had a Groupon voucher for two nights so we booked it for this weekend (end of March). I tried calling the hotel to book it but the voice-mail suggested it was quicker to email which I did. I received a phone call a few weeks later asking for my voucher code - which I had already sent. I mentioned the date I'd sent the email and they eventually found it. Not surprisingly, I tried to call on the day we were heading down to make is sure it *was* booked in. Impossible to get hold of anyone by phone and I had to email again (getting an instant reply).

Overall experience of the room and hotel - fairly clean and tidy (we stayed in room 11). The bed was comfortable, there was tea and coffee with a kettle on the cabinet, the toilet facilities were modern, we had a nice view from our window, and there was a fair selection of cereals, toast, croissants and fruit for breakfast.

However - the flush on the toilet was broken, the light in the bathroom flickered the whole weekend (we left it on to be changed when they came to clean the rooms but it was simply turned off when we returned) and the room was FREEZING. There was a small radiator but you couldn't control the temperature so when we returned from our trek up Tissington Trail (wet and cold) we had to climb into bed to warm up. Oh, and shower in the dark of course because the bathroom light wasn't working.

The surrounding area was beautiful, and if the staff had been more approachable and the facilities actually worked it would have been a nice stay. I don't think we'll be staying there again, though, and it's not somewhere I'd recommend to friends either.

5  Thank Rachel N
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights using an Amazon voucher ( we chose not to look at TripAdvisor before setting off as the stay was such good value that we would simply have moved elsewhere if we were uncomfortable). On arrival we were very impressed by the location and could not fault the greeting we received from reception. The gentleman was friendly and informative with suggestions for where to go for an evening meal. Having visited the website we were expecting a continental breakfast so were pleasantly surprised to be able to order a cooked meal. The room was spacious and clean with TV, tea/coffee making facilities of a good standard and an ensuite shower room. Everything was a little tired but all was useable. After an afternoon touring and an evening meal we returned to a lovely warm room and had a good night's sleep. The shower functioned well and breakfast was delicious and the staff very friendly and helpful. Do not visit here if you are looking for luxury but for good old fashioned value in a stunning location this could not be faulted.

2  Thank SAW1990
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Gorgeous spot and lovely building from the outside. It’s right you do need to have a car as it is a very remote setting. The receptionist took an age to come out to us on arrival and I did feel as if we were keeping her from something more important. We were charged 10p for a copy of the Tissington Trail, “to go towards the printing”, which I thought rude, surely as the hotel’s main selling point is that it is on the Trail these should be complementary? Our room, although perfectly clean, was cold and we never got warm on our two nights stay. It is a hotel geared towards out door pursuits so coming back to a nice warm room would have been nice. When I told the receptionist on checking out she said I should have said and she would have given me a heater. The shower in our en-suite was nothing more than a dribble and we even went without on our last morning, preferring to wash back at home. Breakfast, although an extra £5 per head for the full English was perfectly acceptable and there was plenty of it, although the coffee was awful. The staff at breakfast were quite helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble for one lady (petite, long dark hair). Friendliest person was the cat. Would not stay here again.

1  Thank Julie S