Newton House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel(Biggin-by-Hartington)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
The Mousehole(Whiston)
View Hotel
All reviewstissington trailpeak districtthe main hotelafternoon teayogurtfull englishmain roadpielady on receptionroad noisereception areatea and coffee making facilitiesspent two nightsnight breakroom was clean and comfortablevery pleasant stayan evening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We got this hotel on a deal through Amazon local. We didn't know what to expect but looked forward to giving it a go! My boyfriend phoned to make the reservation and struggled to get through, however when we managed to get through we booked and we're told we could take out two dogs for £10 for the two nights (half the usual price). We arrived and the receptionist had no record of us booking the dogs but managed to get us an outside room but charged us full price for them and we didn't receive the wine on arrival specified in the deal (our only complaints)!
The room was lovely and clean, with everything we needed. The receptionist was very helpful even when my boyfriend locked us out of the room!
We enjoyed the bar in the evening and there was a real family feel. The barman/maintenance man was helpful and friendly. This is the perfect place to stay for a cheap, no frills break in the Peak District! Dovedale is just down the road, as is Tissington! We would go back again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna M
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good location, bags of potential bit tired but clean. Stayed in family room top floor, but the higher you go the less / no water you get.... Owners reaction was yes know about that with lots of background thats irrelevant to a guest who rightly expects water in the room to be working consistently but he forgot to mention in the first place or apologise ... not good. Full Breakfast slow & you have to order your eggs when booking in ... quaint.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank S0007
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Bought a groupon voucher booked up 2 months in advance. Booking confirmed then heard nothing again, until the day we were travelling (from Bristol) to say the room wasn't available as it had been double booked! Got offered an extra night as compensation so travelled up last week. On arrival the hotelier complained at our lateness advising he should be in bed. it was 9:15pm, we'd already told them we'd be travelling after work and would be late.

Room appeared ok - clean enough and tidy. BUT the shower tray was blocked so any more than 3 minutes with the water running and it was overflowing onto the floor and in a twin room my sister then had to wait for shower tray to empty before she could shower. The hairdryer came on but didn't blow air so the element overheated - not a safety risk at all! Then when some workemen changed a light fitting on day 2 they left said fitting in the bathroom, along with small parts and lots of dust from the drilling. We were unable to get wifi in our room and there's no phone reception because you're in the middle of nowhere.

Add to this the attitude of the male hotelier (the ladies were lovely), who made disparaging comments about Groupon customers, complained about people asking for advice (that what Tourist Advice centres are for, apparently) and his never ending whine about the 250 emails he had to read through,

By the time we left I felt like an inconvenience and not a paying customer who took them up on a deal that they offered. Oh and it's a continental breakfast only if you are a Groupon customer (say this to yourself in a grumpy male voice), as only the proper customers get a cooked breakfast included in the price.

Great location, great house, mostly nice staff but sort out the shower, the hairdryer, your booking system and that grumpy sod who likes the sound of his own voice and perhaps we'll come back - if the price is right.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank robincharmer
Reviewed 24 March 2014

just visited Newton house we received for christmas present kafter reading reviews was a little worried , need not of been ashate being cold, room warm and we stayed in converted stable as we had our dog breakfast plentiful , ordered cook breakfast for Sunday, had walk on Tissington trail blew cob webs off had a fab meal in coach and horses, staff friendly , would go again, but you do need transport

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 16tmason
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had a Groupon voucher for two nights so we booked it for this weekend (end of March). I tried calling the hotel to book it but the voice-mail suggested it was quicker to email which I did. I received a phone call a few weeks later asking for my voucher code - which I had already sent. I mentioned the date I'd sent the email and they eventually found it. Not surprisingly, I tried to call on the day we were heading down to make is sure it *was* booked in. Impossible to get hold of anyone by phone and I had to email again (getting an instant reply).

Overall experience of the room and hotel - fairly clean and tidy (we stayed in room 11). The bed was comfortable, there was tea and coffee with a kettle on the cabinet, the toilet facilities were modern, we had a nice view from our window, and there was a fair selection of cereals, toast, croissants and fruit for breakfast.

However - the flush on the toilet was broken, the light in the bathroom flickered the whole weekend (we left it on to be changed when they came to clean the rooms but it was simply turned off when we returned) and the room was FREEZING. There was a small radiator but you couldn't control the temperature so when we returned from our trek up Tissington Trail (wet and cold) we had to climb into bed to warm up. Oh, and shower in the dark of course because the bathroom light wasn't working.

The surrounding area was beautiful, and if the staff had been more approachable and the facilities actually worked it would have been a nice stay. I don't think we'll be staying there again, though, and it's not somewhere I'd recommend to friends either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple