All reviewstissington trailpeak districtafternoon teathe main hotelyogurtfull englishdirect accessmain roadlady on receptionpieroad noisetea and coffee making facilitiesreception areaspent two nightslarge roomvery pleasant staynight break
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We spent two nights in the converted outbuildings which are reserved for dog-owners. It was fairly basic decor-wise but spacious, clean, very comfortable, and peaceful, so we slept well. The hotel owners are friendly and helpful, and breakfast is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We wished to cycle the Tissington Trail and found this to be an ideal location - with safe bike storage. It was a very friendly hotel and we rented the self catering apartment. The food was good for us when we were too tired to cook for ourselves. The only drawback was that the apartment was not well supplied with basics such as salt, washing up liquid and toilet rolls.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed here last month while doing an afternoon hike starting at Hartington in the Peak District.

Overall, it looks quite nice from the outside. The inside is lovely also especially the foyer/check in area. There are some nice seats to relax, have a chat or even a coffee. Nearby is this armoured knight (statue) which is pretty ace to take photos with or just look at..

The next room beyond the foyer area is the dining room for meals. We were lucky to get dinner served as we got back late and they were nearly closed. The barman told the kitchen staff to stay open for us which was quite nice. I ordered the burger with cheese and my friend ordered the smoked salmon.

For around £10 it was decent value but my burger was too salty for me. I didn't try the smoked salmon my friend ate, but she made mention it was good.

The opposite side of the foyer, you'll find the bar. He seems to close when it's not busy, so not a particular time.

As for the rooms, they are upstairs. We booked a twin room and perhaps it was a cheaper room? The carpet changed from (the nice) patterned carpet to an average beige colour. Me and my friend laughed that these are where the less expensive rooms must be.

However the room was good enough for me and the view was pretty good too, right in the midst of nature.

The bathroom was clean but I still don't get the double taps I found in England. It's either cold or hot but not in between. As for the shower, it was okay. The pressure was a let down though.

The staff grew on me. Wasn't a bad first impression to begin with, but it wasn't the best either. But as the staff were kind enough to let us order dinner and the receptionist in the morning helped me out, I was happy.

The breakfast was great. You get a choice of continental breakfast and the staff will ask what type of egg dish you want (English breakfast etc) and there's bread, cereal, coffee and tea, etc.

I'd come back for sure but next time ask for a room with a better shower. Also one thing I failed to realise was the hotels in England don't really have air conditioning, or reverse heater/air cons. I felt a little warm at night. I didn't check the window but if you tend to prefer it a bit cooler, you might want to open it up a little for a bit of fresh, cool air.

Please take a look at the photos of the food. The salmon dish has my damn charger cord in the way of it, not any fault of the restaurant.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Whilst doing the Tissington Trail I stopped here for refreshment after seeing the advert board at the side of the trail. I took the bike through the garden to the front, where there's plenty of space to leave it safely, where it can be seen when inside. (Outdoor seating is available in fine gardens)
I sat in the conservatory and spent a half hour enjoying the relaxed atmosphere, served tea by very friendly staff. I would return for dinner if in the area again- menu looked good.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We went for a short overnight break weather was foul! Not the hotels fault but couldn't get anything to eat there on arrival. Tea room closed. Got a lovely meal at a lovely local pub though. Staff not very helpful. Breakfast good. Overall ok

Room Tip: Not sure how rooms down higgledy-piggledy corridors up and down stairs
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple