My wife and I stayed at the Naxian Collection for 5 nights in April of 2011. We started out with two nights in Athens to take in the obligatory Parthenon and Plaka, which is probably just the right amount of time. Unlike a city like Rome, the interesting sights are very good but also highly concentrated around the Acropolis.
On the third day we hopped on a Ferry straight to Naxos. When we pulled up in our rented Suzuki Jimny the owner Ioannis was waiting for us with some homemade sweets and spirits. He was very friendly and spoke excellent English, and made us feel right at home instantly. He gave us a map of the island and spent a lot of time getting to know us and our interests to point us towards sights and activities that might interest us. He then showed us to our Villa.
We had originally booked a junior suite but Ioannis was able to upgrade us to a villa because it was the off season. That and because of the fact that he's awesome. The villa was without a doubt the nicest place we have ever stayed (and certainly the first with two floors!). Nice view out to the ocean and our private pool (a little too cold to use in April, but would be amazing in the summer). He explained that local Naxian marble was used throughout, and they certainly didn't skimp on the stuff. All of the materials used were gorgeous, and furniture and bedding was very comfortable. All of the windows and the all-white interior decoration made it light and bright, but not oppressively so. Kitchen had everything you would need and included a single-serve cappuccino machine.
The only flaw we found is that both bathrooms seemed to favor form over function. The downstairs shower had no curtain and there was no holder for the hand shower nozzle, soaping up meant dropping it and hoping it didn't spray out on the floor (which it usually did). The master bathroom upstairs had a nice hot tub but again there was nothing to contain the shower. Basically, just don't put any clothes on the floor when bathing, and expect a large puddle. This was a very minor inconvenience though, and there's plenty of beautiful marble to stop the water, and the fragrance of the excellent bath amenities is enough to make you forget about it.
Every morning began with Ioannis cooking us breakfast personally, including local favorites and family recipes, although I'm sure he would attempt anything you ask, we preferred to let him experiment on us with unfamiliar but delicious dishes. My favorite was his cheese pie, both plain and with roasted peppers. I could not get enough of that stuff! One day he packed up our leftovers for a picnic lunch, and the last day he sent us off to the ferry with a bag of goodies so we wouldn't have to eat the food onboard.
One of his more amusing qualities was his insistence that everyone on the island knows him and that by merely dropping his name businesses would open for us, open tables would magically appear, etc. ect. We were a bit skeptical, so one day we put it to the test. About a half hour before we headed out to dinner, we asked him for a suggestion for a seafood restaurant. He was on the phone right away with a restaurant owner on the pier and told us to simply mention his name. When we arrived, we mentioned casually that Ioannis had sent us, and the restaurant owner responded instantly - "ah my friend Ioannis, if I don't take good care of you I'll never hear the end of it", and prepared us a special fresh fish that he had just obtained from the market and was not on the menu. Needless to say, the meal was exceptional.
You really can't go wrong with this place. Book it, and have a great time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Naxian Collection is a complex of luxurious villas & suites each one with its own personal style. All of them are built according to the traditional architecture of Cyclades. Even though Naxian Collection is only 2km far from Naxos town and 700 meters from the famous beach of St Prokopios, it still affords its guests plenty of relaxing privacy. Built upon a hill of great natural beauty, the hotel boasts a panoramic view of this exquisite corner of the Aegean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Naxian Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Naxian Collection - Luxury Villas Hotel Naxos City
- Naxian Collection - Luxury Villas And Suites
- Naxian Collection Naxos/Agios Prokopios