“Alison”
Review of Hotel Katerina

Hotel Katerina
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Agios Prokopios
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My husband and I stayed 12 nights at Hotel Katerina and would highly recommend this hotel. George the proprietor and his family and staff were extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. A beautiful, small hotel in a great location with a lovely pool, pretty flowers. Our room had a lovely balcony, the room and bathroom were very clean and towels and linen changed regularly. Would happily return again.

Room Tip: Room 310 was lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Me and my friend had a fantastic stay ay Hotel Katerina. This beautiful little hotel with the flowerpots everywhere makes you happy. The owners, and rest off staff, are all very kind and helpful. Everything is clean and fresh and the location is super. The only thing I miss, as a Scandinavian, is some dark bread but I survive without it. Love to go back

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank katarina p
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I just stayed at Hotel Katerina for the second time. On this trip, I spent eight nights there. It was one of the most relaxing trips I have ever had.

My plans changed on short notice. George, the proprietor, was able to accommodate me. He arranged to have a taxi waiting at the seaport for me when I arrived late at night. When I arrived at the hotel, he welcomed me like an old friend. I felt as though I was staying with friends.

My room was very comfortable and very clean. On most days, I would go down to have breakfast and find that my room had been made up by the time I returned.

The grounds are very well cared for, and the pool area was spotless.

The breakfast was very nice. I made that a big enough meal that I skipped lunch on most days. There was a nice assortment of things. One of my favorites was the Greek yogurt with some Greek fir honey. It was one of the nicest breakfasts I have seen, especially for a smaller hotel.

George and his family take care of their guests like they would treat family or close friends. They know the importance of satisfied guests.

One of the advantages of Hotel Katerina is its location. It is on a quiet side street just a short distance from the beach. There are mini-markets and restaurants a short walk away. The area of Agios Prokopios is very quiet and relaxed. At the same time, it is only about 10 minutes by car or scooter into the main town. The hotel is in an ideal location for those who want to be close to town but not in the middle of all the noise and commotion.

The hotel does have free Wi-Fi, although the signal was a bit weak in my room on the top floor of the third building. For the little I needed it, I just took my laptop with me to breakfast. After eating, I made myself comfortable in the reception area or at one of the tables indoors and used the strong Wi-Fi signal there to check my email.

A previous reviewer mentioned mosquitoes. Yes, the Greek islands have mosquitoes. I've encountered them often on my frequent visits to Mykonos, too. The mosquito problem is not unique to Hotel Katerina or to Naxos. It was certainly no worse than what I am accustomed to in Wisconsin.

As a travel professional with 31 years in the travel industry, I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Katerina. It is an excellent value and a wonderful place to stay. If you are looking for a small, nice, clean hotel with a nice swimming pool, a good location, and excellent hospitality, Hotel Katerina is definitely a smart choice. I plan to stay at Hotel Katerina on my next visit to Naxos.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank skyguyWI
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We spent 4 night at Hotel Katerina and had a fantastic stay. George and Maria and wonderful hosts- they had great recommendations of where to eat in town and also in Agia Anna, and also helped us plan day trips around Naxos.

The breakfast was great - fresh yogurt, bread and cheese, egg dishes, fruit and cereal. Very healthy and tasty!

The rooms were great too - we had one looking out onto the pool. We just left our door open while lounging in the sun and could easily step inside for a book or to change.

The pool was great. When it was too windy to go to the beach but still sunny we were able to catch some rays at the pool.

I would 100% recommend this hotel and stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor facing the pool and it was really great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Stayed here three nights in May. Close to Plaka Beach and directly on Agios Prokopios. Nice, clean hotel, generous breakfast buffet, helpful and friendly staff, great value. Only complaint is the very hard mattress. Nonetheless enjoyed every minute and would definitely be back again.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We choose this hotel due to high reviews and we expected that everything should be fine, but we were disappointed by the overvalued rating.
We stayed here for a week. First we took double room with breakfast, as many guests recommended "excellent" breakfast. The room was too small and uncomfortable; small fridge worked loudly all the time. When we arrived no one from the reception told us that there were plenty of mosquitoes so that we should take some precautions; we did not have anything against them and we could not sleep for the first night; next morning we were heavily bitten. Breakfast was very usual and ordinary, no fresh fruits; for these reasons we changed our double room to studio without breakfast.
Note! It is allowed to smoke on the hotel area, which is very inconvenient for us. Very often we felt smoking smell, so we have to close our window and balcony.
Pool area is rather small and inconvenient, also with smokers.
We were impressed by small size of gym/sauna room, everything was in one place with NO shower! So after the sauna you should go to your room to the shower to wash off the sweat. Definitely, it's not normal, not easy (and it costs 5€ per person). There is no iron to borrow even at the reception!
About our studio.
There was no place to eat in the room, you can eat only on the balcony, which is almost on the road where everyone is passing by, it's difficult to relax and feel comfortable there.
NOTE! It's very unpleasant to hear everything what happens in our neighbour's toilet!!!
There are no cleaning facilities, no cutting board in the kitchenette, no soap anywhere. Several times they forgot to put shower gel and shampoo. Once they put cups and plates into large oily pot and filled it with water, so that everything became oily.
We did not expect all these small but plentiful drawbacks in the hotel with such excellent reviews. It's a normal hotel with moderate rating.

5  Thank Mikaelius
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stay at the Katerina with George and Maria during Greek Easter (just by chance). The Hotel is spotless, the rooms were very comfortable, and the hosts extremely welcoming. They even put on a traditional lamb lunch with all the wine and food and dancing for the guests. The breakfast was a generous buffet. The Hotel is close to the beach, eateries and small village. George arranged transfers for us a his special rate and organised a hire car also at a special rate. All in all one experience we will remember. It was great value and George and Maria astounded us with their welcome

Room Tip: Go here its great and talk to George if you need something
Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Prokopios
#1 of 22 in Agios Prokopios
Hotel Grotta
Hotel Grotta
#1 of 58 in Naxos Town

Been to Hotel Katerina? Share your experiences!