The hotel is modern, the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, and our room had a great modern bathroom and was spotless (we stayed in the executive suite). An unexpected surprise for the foodies: they try to source all their restaurant ingredients locally and have had a celebrity Greek chef consult on their menu. If you know what you are doing when making your choices, their breakfast buffet is very good. We also had good luck with the appetizers for one dinner, but less luck with the mains (but we were ordering the food at an odd time, so that may be an unfair assessment). Our room also had two relatively nice balconies (one had a pool view, the other a mainly rural view). It has good access to a terrific beach (not excellent access, you have to walk 5-10 minutes, but it is good access--we enjoyed the walk).
That part of the review is easy. The more difficult part is assessing the value. The hotel is not a luxury hotel. The price we paid was a little less, but not much less, than the price we paid for a truly luxurious hotel room in Positano, Italy and in Athens. Maybe that is just the price you pay for visiting Naxos? This was our first visit, so it is hard for us to say. We did pay much more for true luxury in Santorini, so maybe good accomodation on Greek islands is expensive?
It would be much easier to recomend the hotel if it was on the beach (which would have improved the views and been more convenient) or if it cost less. If it was cheap, it would be a great "cheap and cheerful" clean hotel, but it is not really cheap.
So, I suggest you continue your research. It may be, that like us, you conclude that obtaining accomodation on Naxos involves compromises. If you want a clean, modern hotel close to a terrific beach and not too far from town, then you might have to pay the premium and stay at the Lagos Mare. Ultimately, we enjoyed it as a good "base of operations" and would certainly consider staying there again. There is no doubt that the staff try hard to make sure you enjoy your stay. As long as you are not expecting a luxury hotel, and you are OK with the price you are paying, then you will be happy. Once we got over the fact it was not a luxury hotel despite the price (and afterall, for a family of four the price was not that bad), we were happy, and enjoyed our stay. Naxos is great. Our first impression of Naxo was not that great, but once we pressed past the first tacky port street and into the real streets of Chora, or rented a car (easy to do from the front desk of the hotel) and drove into the mountains, or walked for kilometers along the beautiful beach, we realized Naxos was indeed great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience absolute comfort and undiminished personal care in the chic ambiance of Lagos Mare Hotel in Naxos.Discover the elegance of the Lagos Mare 4-star hotel in Naxos and experience an unparalleled stay with the special attention you deserve in a truly splendid environment designed to cater to our eclectic guests' particular needs.Lagos Mare is a luxury Naxos hotel situated in Agios Prokopios, ideally close to one of Europe's most wonderful beaches with soft sand and crystal clear water. Created to reflect Cycladic finesse with its clear lines and smooth curves, this Naxos hotel manages to fulfil your holiday dreams in its supreme setting. The Lagos Mare Naxos Hotel luxury rooms and suites only succeed in providing you with upscale Naxos accommodation and an unsurpassed level of comfort in their delightful spaces decorated with fine furnishings making it one of the finest Naxos hotels. Even more, the gracious, ever attentive staff will go out of their way to make you feel at home.In Lagos Mare Hotel in Naxos Greece every spot gives you a chance for unwinding and rejuvenation. The beautiful swimming pools, the pool bar and the well-cared garden, as well as the exquisite "1924" restaurant and the beauty and wellness spa centre, make our hotel one of the most bewitching luxury Naxos hotels, where you will enjoy life's refined pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Bookgreece.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Lagos Mare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lagos Mare Agios Prokopios
- Lagos Mare Hotel Agios Prokopios
- Lagos Mare Naxos/Agios Prokopios