“customer service experience”
Review of Fieldhead Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edale
Fieldhead Campsite
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“customer service experience”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I just tried to book here for a Saturday night, I was bluntly informed that I couldn't stay just 'a night' yet they were still accepting 2 night bookings for the same time period!
There did seem to be the implication that because I was a man who wanted a night that I was some kind of possible threat - but I was simply trying to fit around a working life.
So be prepared to book well advance and perhaps not the place for an actual camper making their way through the peaks.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank paul e

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Great site, especially nice on lower field next to river. Facilities more than adequate. Will be going again. We went for the folk festival which was expensive at £29.00 per adult and a little disappointing. They had some great artists but not enough intimate sessions in my opinion - and the wet and windy weather didn't help - but this festival has great potential and artists playing in the local pubs and cafe were fabulous.....please reduce the price next year!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This campsite is ideally located just 3 minutes walk from Edale stain station, Three pubs and a shop as well as being situated at the Moorlands Centre! This is a family friendly campsite that does not permit fires. Camping costs around £6.00 per person and the campsite is open all year round which is fantastic!
(We wouldn't reccomend camping in the winter as the Peak district gets very cold!!!!)

The campsite has a wash room, toliets and coin showers (20p a time!) so bring some spare change. The owners are fantastic and very helpful and can point you in the direction of almost anything! The moorlands centre sells towels and little nick naks for thoe souvineer type.

The campsite has parking (Seperate) so you can't park next to your tent! We have stopped here a multitude of times and would go back time and time again! there are also five/four fields to choose from! Fantastic!

Room Tip: If you camp on the field to the right of the moorland centre just be aware you can hear the trains g...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank DexxTravels
Scunthorpe
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I've been here loads of times both dad and lad and with a bunch of mates. Staff seem friendly enough the location is absolutely superb. Fields are mostly level and reasonably well drained and we have never had a problem with noise from other campers though it has to be said we normally avoid the summer months I've never really had a problem with the train noise you just get used to it and after a few pints at either of the nearby pubs I sleep like a log anyway. Car parking is limited and has to be booked in advance when busy I pretty much like everything about it but..... I have paid less many times for much better facilities everything is pretty basic no on site shop reception only opened limited hours toilet block etc only just ok and for the money you really should not have to pay extra for showers. I love Edale and Kinder Scout so will keep coming but to get a four or five star review they need a substantial investment in facilities or alternatively reduce the prices so as to make what they do have value for money

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Matt T
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I'm afraid we were not very impressed with Fieldhead. Firstly they didn't take credit or debit cards, we didn't realise this and had not brought cash or cheque book with us. Then they presented us with a list of rules, which were fine but were not adherred to by others. We were told we could pitch anywhere, but didn't realise we had pitched in the field next to the busy 24 hour railway line which was very noisy particularly at night until it was too late. We were joined by new neighbours on our second day. They were a family of 6 who were very noisy all of the time. They had a baby and toddlers. I am aware that families do want to camp, but the owners should have told us the camping fields are split into sections including one for families. As a couple we just wanted some peace and quiet. Several of our neighbours were complaining too. The shower and toilet facilities were not wonderful. It took a long while to work out how to work the showers and then you had to pay extra to use them. 60p for 6 minutes. The carpark was tiny. The positives of the site were that there was a lovely stream on site and a very useful tourist information centre. Although you don't have to be a camper to use the centre, you can't use the site car park, or you get told off by the owners. Also the pub at the foot of the Pennine Way was over rated. It was ok. The food was expensive but average.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bevb298
Knebworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Our walking club has now regularly camped for a long August weekend at Fieldhead for several years. Fieldhead is uniquely situated on the doorstep of some of the Peak District's finest walking country, including the start of the Pennine Way. It has the added benefit of both bus and train transport to enable the walker to fan out even further into the Peak The Moorland Centre Edale Visitor Centre (Peak District National Park Authority) is located at the front of the site, and is obviously useful for all necessary walking information.
An attractively set out set of small hedged fields (more like garden lawns) surround the central facilities, which are simple but adequate. The ground conditions are very good, and seem to cope well with the summer rains (even in 2012 !!) - we have not yet seen muddy surfaces. Very nicely run by Mark and Samantha.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank John A
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here overnight to tie-in with My Dad and Brothers visit to join them for 2 days. We usually stay at Coopers Campsite up by the Nags Head, but after a couple of bad experiences there my Dad started using Fieldhead a few years back. This was my first time using this site. I found the facilities more than adequate. Some people here call them 'basic', but c'mon people, this is camping, not a City break!! They have a facility that not many sites I've visited have. A dry room. Leave your clothes hung out and they'll stick the heating on. Alternatively they have a dryer in their too to be used on request.
The site is well layer out but great camping areas. It's really well positioned too. Turn right to head to The Pennie Way, Nags Head, Grinsbook walks etc. Turn left for the Ramblers Inn, Train Station and the road to Hope, Speedwell Caverns.
I've seen people comment that the pricing is steep, but I found it to be cheaper than other sites and the car parking works out much cheaper than leaving it at the Public car park down the hill.
Loved revisiting Edale after a few years away, and Fieldhead added to my enjoyment. I will be back!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank egan706
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edale
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Izaak Walton Hotel
East Lodge Country House Hotel
Longnor Wood Holiday Park
The Rambler Inn
The Rambler Inn
#1 of 5 in Edale
Stonecroft Country Guest House

Been to Fieldhead Campsite? Share your experiences!