“Value for money”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chapel-en-le-Frith
The Royal Oak
Newport Gwent
“Value for money”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed for one night. Landlady lovely and helpful. Room 1 was really large and clean. The bed had one of the wooden slats fallen on the floor. Only one cup in the room but we were quickly sorted out when we asked for another. Not en suite as said before, but bathrooms clean. The building is very old and needs a lot of attention. The breakfast was lovely, a full English given as standard. Lots of toast and as much tea and coffee as you wanted. All in all it is a basic but clean stay with a good breakfast. Could be great. Ut needs a little money spent but expect that will come in time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JennyNewportGwent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We called at the Royal Oak for lunch whilst on a day out in the Peak District. Cosy atmosphere with open fires and plenty of tables. The menu is varied with something to suit every taste. The landlady was very friendly and helpfully assisted with our choices. My partner decided on the steak pie and I went for the brunch. To be honest, for the prices we weren't expecting much but were very pleasantly surprised when the food arrived. Very nicely presented and generous helpings. The pie came with chips (homemade, not frozen and very tasty) and three veg which was fresh and nicely cooked. My brunch consisted of sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, egg, beans and chips... all for £3.20 - an absolute bargain!! We were tempted by the dessert menu and chose the raspberry ice-cream cake which was also delicious. Including drinks, the bill came to less than £15.00!! We do eat out quite often but this is the first time I have ever written a review (as I'm not easily impressed!!) and I feel the Royal Oak definitely deserves a mention. If you are visiting the Peak District and are looking for good quality, home cooked food at sensible prices, this is the place to go. We are planning to go back soon to try the Sunday lunch!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gekard
DominiqueBailey, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
So pleased you enjoyed you visit, looking forward to seeing you again!
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We stopped en route home and were drawn in by the promise of one course for £3.75... We were passing through hungry and thought lets risk it.....

Firstly... Charming staff, very quiet at 3pm Monday few locals in enjoying a quiet drink...
Secondly.... Food! Oh my for £3.75 this was something else... Lovely home cooked chips in jackets with perfect gammon, could not believe it was £3.75! Saw the chef chatting to a regular - such a friendly atmosphere. A pint was £2.30..... Blooming bargain!
We will stop off again here next time we are in the area - although we were travelling as couple it is family friendly! If you are looking for a nice filling meal on a budget give it a try you won't be disappointed!

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I found the rooms very clean and well furnished. The bathrooms are not en-suit, however, the building is very old so it is understandable. The bathrooms that they have are more than excellent. They have both a bath and shower available. I ate at the Royal Oak for both my evening meal and following days breakfast. Both meals where excellent value for money. The total cost was under £50 for myself, this includes both the meals and the drinks from the evening before.

The owner (Simon) was very welcoming and made adjustments for me, I was leaving earlier than the standard breakfast times and he still served me a full english. The staff that simon has working for him, from the bar staff to the morning cleaners are both welcoming and helpful. They are a credit to their manager.

I will definatly recommend The Royal Oak to my friends. Even to those who are larger families.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 3, the other rooms availible can sleep up to 6 persons
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Carey787
Simon R, Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit, it was a pleasure having you stay with us and hope to see you again.

Regards,

Simon
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

On arrival we were told there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, no big deal I thought as free hot drinks are given over the bar, but I did miss my morning cuppa in the room.
We soon discovered that our room, 3, did not lock from the inside which was rather alarming but when I told the owner they already knew.... and did not think it was a problem.
The bedding was lovely and fresh, I would have preferred it to be ironed, but that's just me. That was the only plus about our whole stay I'm afraid, the carpets were grubby and like patchwork, the room was extremely dusty, the vanity unit needed a good clean, the television picture was 99% green, fine if you watch the Incredible Hulk!.... but otherwise terrible.
The shared bathroom was filthy and I do not use that word lightly, my friend from the couple travelling with us had cleaned both toilets before we arrived!! The floor was covered in bits, not been swept in ages let alone mopped.
This accommodation really was a comedy of errors, the real icing on the cake was, when asked, requesting breakfast for the four of usthe next day at 9am. We arrived gasping for a cuppa, to be greeted by a locked door, it took us a short while to assume that the owner had not put his clock forward for British summer time, although it had been mentioned the night before. We waited a further ten minutes and left to walk around the very pretty village - for an hour! On our return his response was less than bothered, which was even more annoying.
I cannot be totally negative, the breakfast was good, the owner was friendly and Chapel-en-le-Frith is lovely and a great base from which to explore. But nothing will persuade me to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapel-en-le-Frith
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Roebuck Inn
The Roebuck Inn
#1 of 4 in Chapel-en-le-Frith
Old Hall Inn
Old Hall Inn
#9 of 160 in Peak District National Park

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!