“Gourmet's Delight”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hope
Sheffield(UK)
“Gourmet's Delight”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had a wonderful time at Losehill House Hotel & Spa between 05/01 and 08/01. We took advantage of all the facilities and the beautiful location. Our expectations were surpassed.

The food was outstanding – compliments to the management on the appointment of a talented culinary team. When we booked the short break we did not realise the food would be of such high quality so we were taken pleasantly by surprise. The Duty Manager was excellent – he marshalled staff to provide a well timed service. He was particularly attentive to the guests and we felt welcomed and well served by his convivial approach. The young waiters and waitresses were also excellent, with timely service.

We had booked the spa package and really enjoyed the facial and ‘polynesian’ treatments – again very good staff.

We will recommend Losehill House & Spa to all our friends and relatives without hesitation or reservation and we look forward to returning ourselves.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thankyou for your kind comments the team really appreciate the feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Just had a terrific stay at the lose hill hotel. We had the wonderful tasting menu that was worth every penny. The ambiance is relaxed and informal. We stayed in king size double that was well equipped and large enough to be really comfortable.
We made full use of the pool, steam room and sauna where it was all immaculately clean and well maintained.
Really looking forward to going back soon

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay - thankyou for your review.
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I'll keep it short as many other reviews rightly sing the praises of this place. So, big ticks for: location, rooms, ambience, attention to detail.

Our only gripe was that the seven course tasting menu was distinctly lacking in.....well, food! This isn't greed or gluttony talking; there just simply wasn't enough of it by quite a distance. If you work to the principle that a tasting menu should equate to the same amount of food, roughly, as one starter, one main and one pudd, then this one is frankly miles off and at 45 quid a pop takes the biscuit (if only I'd had a biscuit!). It all tasted good, but if you put the seven courses together you wouldn't have one plate full and within 15 minutes of finishing we were seriously considering our options for local chippies!

One other observation: my wife commented, quite rightly, that her molecule of beef on course 5 was around 40% fat. The waitress didn't even fake an attempt at being interested, only remarking that "it's a fatty cut of meat" and that she'd been working for nine and a half hours that day. Like I care! Way below par for somewhere charging these prices I'm afraid.

But all in all, a classy joint that just needs to do away with the emperor's new clothes at dinner time.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank glider_music
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Its great that you enjoyed your stay but obviously such a shame that the Taste of Losehill menu was not to your liking. Most people who try the 7 course option love it and I can't remember another complaint that the meal was not substantial enough - usually the opposite - although obviously the portion sizes per course are smaller. The menu changes by the day - on your evening the main course was Jacobs Ladder short rib of beef - really tasty but similar to rib of pork it does have a line of crispy fat. We do offer both an al-a-carte option as well which changes daily.
We appreciate the feedback and will certainly ensure that we reflect your comments as we try to deliver an enjoyable and satisfying dining experience to our guests.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We were welcomed to our spa day with coffee in the lounge looking over the Peak District hills. The decor is amazing and original, very soothing and we just relaxed into it ! In fact we spent all day in our robes as we wandered between the spa ,steam room, pool with hilltop views and with a delicious lunch in between .... Still in robes ! Partidge starter and Ashbourne pork 3 ways with amazing veg purées and beetroot. I even sat outside in the hot tub looking over towards Edale ,the sheep grazing on the slopes opposite and the golden bracken. Amazing to sit in the hot bubbles with the soft Peak District rain falling on my face ! A back and shoulder massage in a candlelit treatment room was the icing on the cake . We're coming back soooon !

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your spa day - the team really appreciate the comments.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

this was to celebrate my sons 18th birthday- he didn't want a party, and so I booked this as a surprise. we had a family suite, and took advantage of the special offer at the time. suite has 2 bedrooms , living room and bathroom. Staff very welcoming and let us have the private dining area which we decorated with balloons and they put 'birthday' sprinkles on the table. Food is excellent- fine dining to you don't get loads, but it was plenty for us- and you can make up with it with the fantastic breakfast in the morning. we have been here before for special occasions and will no doubt return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your family celebration.
Hope Valley, U.K
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Wonderful relaxing day - 10 am in the outside Hot Tub. Swim in the pool, sauna and steam room sessions. Tea and biscuits and newspaper/magazine read. Hot stone massage was the best massage I have ever had. Lunch was dainty and tasty - finished with a hot tub and sauna session at 3:30 pm. Will go back here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your spa day - we look forward to welcoming you back.
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I've been to Losehill House on many occasions for spa treatments and also family celebrations in the restaurant, on the whole these have been positive experiences. Unfortunately my experience today was not good followed by a very disappointing conversation with the owner - Paul Roden.
I normally have my spa treatments and then use the spa facilities, which I was told about on my first visit, but after my treatment today I was told that due to the facilities being full due to being used by people who had discounted packages that they would not recommend it, so I had to leave and drive home greasy from the treatments - totally disgusting and undignified!
When I spoke to the owner he said that the facilities have never been complimentary and insinuated that I had managed to 'get away' with using them on previous occasions. On the website it states on different pages that 'It is usually best to use the spa facilities before having your treatments', not stating that they are just for resident guests which is very misleading. I have come away from the this morning feeling disappointed with the whole experience and that the owner did not care enough to want to resolve the situation - rather than apologising for misleading information he tried to make me feel that I was in the wrong. Needless to say that I nor my family and friends will not be going back to Losehill House again. It could have been resolved by good customer relationship management, but unfortunately this was not the case.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Anne G
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
I am also really sorry that we could not resolve the matter amicably - it was certainly my intention at the beginning of the telephone call - I obviously failed!
It was however, pleasing that the Spa Treatments that had been booked were enjoyed as usual, the problem was the use of the spa facilities which were unavailable. The use of the spa had not been reserved or indeed paid for, if it had been the receptionists would have been able to confirm that it was fully booked - the misunderstanding about the cost was secondary. Resident guests of the hotel do have complimentary use of the spa facilities and non-residents are welcome to use the facilities but do have to pay a seperate fee or purchase a spa day package. The spa was fully booked yesterday with non-residents and so was not available.
I am saddened that a visit to the spa has resulted in such distress and that we could not agree on a reasonable resolution of the matter.
We will certainly re-check the website and try to prevent such an unfortunate experience happening again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow

Been to Losehill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!