“Losehill House Hotel & Spa - A great spa break”

Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hope
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We received a gift voucher for a 1 night spa break at Losehill Hotel and stayed on 26th April 2014. The experience was terrific, the location is stunning, great for walkers or simply those who like being in nature and away from it all. The hotel is lovely,relatively small but well decorated with great friendly staff and fantastic food. The spa area isn't huge but the treatments were well executed and sitting in the outdoor jacuzzi looking out over the hills is a treat not to be missed. Our room was a good size with a particularly well proportioned bathroom, lovely view and well furnished. The newspaper outside our room in the morning free of charge was a nice touch. I would heartily recommend the hotel and would gladly return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew H
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay - many thanks for the review.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here to do some walking as a family and booked two king exec rooms. As a hotel for walkers, it's great. The location is perfect and many walks can be done directly from the hotel without having to drive.

Breakfast:
good menu with varied selection
no buffet, all served at your table
standard of food -excellent
great views over the hills as most tables are by the window

Dinner:
great menu changed daily (not always the casein other hotels)
service slightly wanting but friendly
not rushed, it is made into an event by giving menus to you in the lounge with canapés

It is clear that the venue is used for weddings, I expect because of the location and views.

While I was very happy to stay for the purposes of a walking holiday, Losehill is not The Samling (Lakes). The rooms are a reasonable size but dated and in need of updating. The bathrooms have antique pine panelling in places that is splitting, faded and needs replacing. The sink had short nosed spouts so very difficult to wash hands and the taps moved so turning them on and off required two hands.

One bathroom had a shower over the bath and the other bathroom had a small flimsy white plastic cubicle. It was okay but basic. Rooms were clean if you did not look too closely. The usual corners missed, black mould in corners of window frames etc.

Two towels per person, one big and one small so difficult to wrap round your hair when coming out of the shower.

No turn down service, so first night threw all my towels on floor only to realise there were no clean ones coming.

Water, coffee, tea and biscuits provided in the room along with ironing board and iron.

I wanted to book some spa treatments but was told there were no slots. This was a spa hotel?! And yes the answer would be to book in advance but this was not made clear.

To summarise I think this place is great for walkers but i would not go there for a luxurious break as the rooms just don't cut it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gigilebonne

Thank-you for the review - we are constantly upgrading rooms and will continue to improve standards in the hotel. We are proud to celebrate the Peak District and our local staff are very much a part of that commitment - unlike most hotels in tourist areas! The spa is popular and so treatments should always be booked in advance of a stay as the booking confirmation indicates.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked a special offer - dinner, b&b - last month, and had a wonderful time. Lovely room, dual aspect, and big window in the bathroom too. We'd booked the 7 course tasting menu, but over a complimentary glass of prosecco, were given the option of using the same amount and going a la carte. We stayed with the tasting menu, which was superb; delicate portions which really made you savour the flavours, and the puds were to die for! Lovely view from the restaurant too. Before breakfast the next morning, we swam in the small indoor pool, but only the 2 of us, so no problem, and used the steam room too. Unfortunately the outdoor jacuzzi was broken. I left my earplugs and goggles in my dressing gown, and only realised 24 hours later. No problem to the hotel; they found them and sent them onto me at no cost - what service! Many thanks to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable. We would thoroughly recommend this as a romantic getaway, with fabulous walks closeby.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pru W
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank-you for the review I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay - and that the hot tub is working again!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I visited for a spa day last week. We had a voucher so the price was good anyway. As others say, this is a lovely spot. Great views, lounge and restaurant, and the lunch was lovely, taken overlooking Winn Hill. The staff were generally helpful and friendly, though this was not always consistent.

Our disappointment was with the spa. I would have to agree that there is a bit of a smell on the decking around the hot tub but once you are in, you don't notice this. The green carpet serves it's purpose and makes the area safe, but is a bit unsightly. Pool was a bit on the cool side, but OK. The sauna temperature was very low, even thought we pressed the button as requested and there was no water in the bucket. Also there was a bad smell in the steam room. We mentioned both of these to the reception before lunch and when we returned after 2 hours nothing had changed, meaning that we were unable to use either. I would mention also that there are just a couple of relaxing beds, though there are some tables and chairs, and the changing rooms are quite small. When we came out I opted not to have a shower there as there were 4or5 others there and very small space for everyone to change.

Our treatments were really good, hot stones and a lovely scrub and the therapists helpful and professional, no complaint there.

Would we return? Maybe, but would probably try others first.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CuteCat12

Thank-you for the review - we will certainly attend to the comments - the carpet is being replaced this week with regards the other items we will ensure that the pool, steam room and sauna are back to the expected standard on an ongoing basis.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my husbands 40th Birthday and opted to book the Edale Suite. The location is absolutely stunning with wonderful views whichever way you look. Our suite was spotless the bed very comfy and a huge bath! Before dinner we took advantage of the hot tub and spa facilities. Lucky for us we were the only ones using the area so it felt like it was our own private area. Pool area very clean. We ate in the restaurant and had a superb 3-course meal. Breakfast the next morning was equally great. Lots of choice and all freshly prepared. Overall a wonderful getaway and we can't wait to come back

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Its great to hear that your celebration with us was so enjoyable - thank-you for the review.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I made a reservation here as a present for my dad and his wife for his birthday. I rang the hotel and sent several emails checking on things and adding things! Jules who I made email contact with was fantastic at sorting out all my requests and when I rang reception the lady I spoke to was also amazing at sorting out which wine I would like to buy them as an extra gift. I have just spoken to my dad who had arrived home and he said the whole experience from start to finish was fantastic. They had a deluxe kings room which was apparently gorgeous, they had several different meals all of which were great. He said the seven course taster menu was fabulous and they even accommodated that one of them didn't really like fish so they swapped the fish courses for one of them for different things! Breakfast was real highlight as well with my father heaping great praise on the 'Derbyshire breakfast' and he said the orange juice was out of this world. Both him and his wife had the foot treatment which again couldn't be faulted. Thank you so much for helping me deliver such a nice birthday present to him. I will be booking again......

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy B

It was a real pleasure - thank-you for your review.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at the Losehill House Hotel on the weekend of 17th May for one night; a very good deal that we found on the Achica website. We were incredibly lucky with the weather which helped but we were so impressed with the hotel and surroundings that I would be surprised if we didn't return. Our room was very comfortable, lovely bathroom and dressing area. Good quality toiletries to use. It was also very quiet considering the hotel was full. We didn't use the spa facilities but they looked good. We had the seven course taster meal which was really excellent. The courses were very small but I think we expected that, and after the deliciously rich chocolate dessert, we couldn't have eaten anymore! We selected the 'wine flight' with a small glass for most courses which we enjoyed. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming. We will be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
PaulRodenLosehill, Owner at Losehill House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank-you for your review - what a great way to reach our 500th review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to Losehill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!