“Hold your nose!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Bradwell
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Nice pub with reasonable food, but let down hugely by the greasy smell eminating from the kitchen. Every time the door was opened leading from the kitchen, the smell came wafting towards us. Maybe we should have sat further away.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We went to this pub on our way out of a wet , cold Castleton and received a lovely warm welcome. The pub was quiet, it was after all a wet Tuesday lunchtime. We chose a Medley of Fish pie, chunky chips and peas and Desperate Dan pie, same accompaniments. This pie wasn't for the faint hearted. A very generous portion which my brother said was one of the best pies he had eaten and he ate the lot.They do a smaller version which I might try next time we go.
Our fish pie was also good, plenty of chunky fish, great mash and cheesy topping. We were too full for a pud but I had a coffee which I enjoyed very much.
The landlord, landlady and chef were very pleasant to talk to and to be with and I could imagine that if you stayed with them (they do have rooms) you would have a comfortable time.
We will go again.

1  Thank marie W
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Visited this pub for a meal on a busy holiday weekend Saturday night. It was full of diners and fortunately we had booked. The reason for trying it was by special invitation of the landlord. I'd posted a negative review of one of his nearby competitors and received a message from him via TA saying, "Try this one, good value and clean". So we did!
First impressions were good; we were doing a 10 mile hike so I asked if I could park in the car park and come back later to eat - no problem. Arrived back on time and was told that a large party was about to order food so if we wanted quick service then we should order promptly, which we did. Food did indeed arrive quickly - Desperate Dan steak pie and Whitby Whale fish and chips at £10.95 each. Big portions but well cooked, tasty and well-presented. Beer was good too with two of my favourite beers, Harvest Gold and Tribute.
Lots of people were arriving looking for a table to eat. We tried to move somewhere to let one of these groups have our table and finish off our drinks (and maybe have another one) but every table was taken with diners, so I guess my only negative comment on the pub was that on a Saturday night it's difficult to sit and have a quiet drink. But also good to see a thriving pub these days that seems to be doing well.
Needless to say I stayed true to Trip Advisor anonymity and didn't introduce myself to the landlord.

1  Thank kmr1809
Reviewed 20 March 2013

A warm welcome from all in the pub, coal fire, winter veg curry that was excellent, very enjoyable experience

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very warm welcome, came in from the snowy blizzards and was greated by a roaring open fire and a very friendly landlord. The locals were welcoming and because the football was on, there was an atmosphere. Myself and 2 male friends had a meal here and the food was magnificent. I chose the 'Desperate Dan', a famous steak and real ale pie. You could tell it was home made. The pastry crumbled and the gravy was piping hot. It was served with a huge portion of chunky -and rather delicious- chips and peas, i felt slightly over faced as the pie itself was huge! The prices are superb aswell, not a bank breaker for such huge portions. Of course i washed down my meal with a crisp pint of lager. The staff were very friendly and our waitress made us feel very welcome. Definitely will be returning! Service worth tipping for, a brilliant recommendation.