“surprisingly good”

Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Bradwell
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2014

What a find. Hidden away up the hill is a pretty average looking pub. Very big inside, aging decor but excellent service and very good pub grub. Had lunch and dinner here, both meals very good. Lovely views from the seating / eating area in the back garden. Excellent value, good choice. If they had some half decent wine it would've got 5 stars.

1  Thank Epheses

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Great pub-grub, plenty of choice. Don't choose the signature meat pie unless you have a big appetite.

2  Thank Leslie W
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Tucked away in the depths of 'Old Bradwell', about 500m off the main road through, and pretty well signposted, is the Bowling Green pub. We decided to call in there because today we had our dog with us, and the pub was stated to be 'dog friendly'. (note that this is only about 10 minutes drive from Hope or Brough and if you were visiting Eyres, its only a gnats away).

There's a big car park by the pub, and the place looked quaint and interesting. There were no customers apart from us when we walked in at about 12.45 on tuesday, though the place felt warm and friendly. We explained that we had to be out of there by 1.45, (which I felt was pushing it) and he said no problem. We ordered two steak pies from the interesting-looking menu, (along with tea and coffee) and sat down in the 'dog room' to wait. (The dog room had a bowl of water on the floor, otherwise looked much the same as every other room in the pub !)

The pies that arrived about 15 minutes later were big ! In my hurry, I hadn't spotted that one was called the 'Desperate Dan' pie and that would have served both of us !

The pies were truly delicious, served with chips & garden peas, and Henderson's relish, they were delightful. No fat. No gristle. lovely.
In fact there was half a pie left when we'd finished, and we asked to take it home (and enjoyed it later for tea).

Such a shame we had to rush away, the beers looked interesting and although the place was pretty much empty, the Landlord was polite & friendly, and there were one or two at the bar when we departed.

This is definitely a worthy place to stop for refreshment, and we hope to be back again before too long.

pricewise, two big pies, one tea & one coffee came to about £22. Decent value.

1  Thank tim99
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Bradwell is a village that must be lovely to live in. Characterful without being overrun by tourists and so friendly - everyone speaks to you when you're out for a walk. The Bowling Green is a lovely pub for lunch at the end of the walk, especially on a cold day when you can sit by a real fire.

As another reviewer mentioned, the opening hours are a bit unreliable - last time I went in hoping for lunch, no food was available, but today we were in luck.

The menu is a bit limited for vegetarians - my husband enjoyed his Ploughman's, but would have appreciated a bit more choice than sandwiches or a ubiquitous veggie lasagne or burger. My lamb shank was very tasty, if a bit on the small side, and a bill for £23 including drinks was reasonable.

We'll be back. In fact, I'd rather like to stay here next time.

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Average prices, not a massive menu.
My husband had the steak and ale pie called Desperate Dan pie and he could barely eat it because the quality of meat was so poor and he didn't really enjoy it.
I had the double vegetarian burger which was nice but I couldn't tell the different from vegetarian burgers I have from the supermarket at home.
It only opens and serves food on certain days and at certain times so double check before you go!