“The Best Hotel In Morogoro”
Review of Arc Hotel

Arc Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Morogoro
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is my fourth visit & I can positively recommend this hotel to everybody visiting Morogoro, I have previously stayed in most of the hotels here & this one stands out with excellent views, very good food, polite staff. They keep on improving services, this time round the breakfast has a wider choice with pure butter, cheese & cappuccino added, the food menu has more variety & pizzas are now extremely good. The thing I enjoy the most is waking up in the morning & sitting outside the balcony sipping hot coffee (facility provided in the room) enjoying the tranquil mountain view. I also enjoy sitting in the garden area having drinks along with my family & friends in the evening, prices are more than reasonable & atmosphere is perfect compared to any other hotel can provide. I would recommend the management to consider training the staff to better understand English language & also consider putting up a swimming pool.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ahan75
trym2010, Owner at Arc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

It always is encouraging to receive a good review, especially from a seasoned traveler as Mr ‘Ahan’ who appears to be Kenyan. In fact hotels in Kenya continue to inspire us to do a better job. I cannot but agree that the view from the Arc towards the Uluguru Mountains is just stunning; it is also most appreciated that our loyal staff is rated ‘polite’. This appreciation will certainly be communicated to all staff tomorrow evening when we will have our bi-monthly staff party.
But it is also correct that we should train our staff to better understand English. In fact we are planning to do this in the context of establishing a new progressive human resource policy (we employ about 40 persons, most of them below the age of 25). This should clearly include language training, but it will also have other elements, such as to encourage staff to follow courses at the Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) in order to develop their personal skills to progress to a higher educational level. SUA is located only some four km away from the Arc.
Finally the remark about our missing swimming pool: we are considering to put up a proper swimming pool (min. 18x8 meters), where hotel guests, our staff and the local population would be able to swim or learn to swim. This would no doubt be of special interest for local schools to ensure that students learn to swim at a young age.

Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the Suite for a week and it was very nice and comfortable. The water was out one morning but was fixed by the time we returned from working that evening. The bed was comfortable but a little to hard from my liking. The restruant was amazing, always a good selection and fresh. The road getting there is in need of repair but for Africa its not to bad. Very good price for everything you get.

• Stayed: May 2012
trym2010, Owner at Arc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

We are well aware of the problem with the water pressure; especially during these days before the wet season starts, do we have these problems all over Morogoro.
The bed mattresses: some like them soft other prefer them hard; but this comment also gives food for thought: when our mattresses need to be renewed, maybe we should offer rooms with hard, medium or soft mattresses?! Anyway, the most positive remark about our restaurant is certainly welcome; and our guest is most welcome back, although we cannot guarantee that the about 400 meter road for getting to us from the highway will have been improved.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Turned up, they were not aware i had been booked in, but all well, had my room in seconds. Clean comfortable and a lovely garden. restaurant and bar outside is really nice. Staff very friendly. all in all very pleasantly surprised.

and at 60k shilling would reccommend it for sure!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wildpix
trym2010, Owner at Arc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

We always hope to be a pleasant surprise to our guests; indeed on 26 September it was a pleasant surprise also for us to host Mr 'Wildpix'. After our front office staff first thought that they had made a mistike, it turned out that the reservation was made under a different name.
In any case we are happy that our guest did not rate us lower than '4 stars' and we look forward to welcoming him back, hoping that he will then rate us a bit higher ... .

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We’ve stayed just one night on the way from Iringa to Moshi, and we wanted to make the best of our short stay. Everything worked out perfectly thanks to Svend, the hotel owner, and Charles, our guide recommended by the hotel. They could not be more helpful in organizing our stay - getting us into ½ day safari to Mikumi, and arranging for bus tickets for the next leg of our trip. We exchanged several emails prior to our stay, and every detail was taken care of. We were picked up in the middle of nowhere - we just got off the public bus at Mikumi gate, and Charles was waiting for us! He also arranged for transportation to the bus station the next day.

Hotel reservation system is convenient, and we were able to pay with visa card while being there (the only time outside of Dar). The hotel has beautiful location and views, rooms are spacious and clean, with all amenities including air conditioning. Restaurant is good, breakfast was plentiful. All the staff was competent and kind, the standard of service exceeded what we could have expected in a location far from main tourist areas.

The views of the mountains are beautiful and dramatic, with montain range rising over the town. We regret we did not have more time there to go to the mountains with Charles. The hotel is certainly a very good value, and we would gladly stay there again!

Room Tip: Request the room with mountainview.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AnnaMZB
trym2010, Owner at Arc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

It was good to hear that all went well and that you found Charles as planned outside Mikumi. Thanks also to Charles who remember you very well (in a positive way). We surely welcome your most positive review of your stay with us.
You note that we are far from the main tourist areas; you are of course right that we are not exactly close to the Kilimanjaro or the Ngorongoro Crater (actually quite a few foreigners confuse Morogoro with Ngorongoro - but we are glad not to be located in the middle of a volcano!). However, allow me to say that we are only a 3-4 hour drive from the Selous Game Reserve just beyond the Uluguru Mountains. Selous is the largest game reserve in Africa (about 55.000 square kilometres). I can really recommend you (and all other gusts) to try a safari through Selous either coming to the Arc from Dar es Salaam or going back to Dar.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed a week while on a business trip. Had a nice clean quiet room with just enough space a lovely view of Ulguru Mountains. Lots hot water 24/7. Attentive service in the dining room. Requested specially made indigenous green vegetables and on each occassion, they were well prepared. Reasonably priced hotel too @60,000 for a single B&B.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are best
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Abiria
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

We are trying our best to make the Arc a homely place - and now we get a review confirming that we are not too far off. This review is certainly most appreciated.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

The Arc is a peaceful retreat with beautiful views of the hills open to everyone. The rooms are lovely, exceptionally clean and comfortable. The price is very good value, a far better value than any other place in the Morogoro area.

Initially I stayed at another hotel closer to the center of town, a hotel that had been booked by my office. I had wanted to stay at the Arc but my office wanted to go ahead with the other booking. In the midst of my stay in Morogoro, the other hotel informed me I would need to be moved because the management had booked the hotel out to a Chinese delegation. Therefore I was forced to move. This truly was a blessing, because I eventually was able to get to the Arc. I am going to return to Morogoro soon and I will insist that I be booked into the Arc from the start.

Not only are the rooms lovely, the staff is very friendly and efficient. The restaurant is great, with a variety of cuisines. The breakfast which is provided to guests is also excellent.

As a woman traveling alone on business in Tanzania, it is not easy to find a place to feel comfortable sitting in open areas of a hotel, having a meal and possibly a glass of wine. The Arc is ideal for business women, and I observed that I was not alone in this opinion.

The Arc is by far the best place to stay in Morogoro, clearly the best value and the most comfortable. I hope that the road leading to the hotel gets upgraded soon, but if not, once you have arrived at the hotel you forget the bumps.

Room Tip: A ground floor room next to the outdoor seating area might be noisy on a weekend evening, but things...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OregonianinPatan
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

We try hard to remain the number one hotel in Morogoro; that we get the confirmation from our guests that we maintain this position is indeed welcome. We really appreciate this review.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

All good. Great place to stop over on way to Mikumi or onwards. Owners should get bikes to hire. I took my own. Beautiful views. Take a stroll towards the hills. Morogoro town center, no point. Food good for price and kitchen efficient as the well heeled locals dine here. Totally recomended.

The problem came when I tried to pay bill for the return leg. Lady at desk thought she could fleece me to pay double. I suspect she would pocket this as conveniently she hadn't completed the inventory yet....which I saw when I demanded to see it. Of course I didn't pay any more than the first time and she didn't argue. The prices are on their website and that was confirmed in an e-mail.

To the management. Watch your front of house staff. Your dining room staff are fantastic. What a shame our long weekend ended on this note.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DameInDar
trym2010, Owner at Arc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for calling our attention to this incident. We have done a thorough investigation and have received a full explanation from our receptionist who recalls the incident very well. First an apology to you (our guest): The whole incident was, as far as our management has established, caused by a mishap of language problems and the fact that you wanted to pay in USD. We are convinced that, a priori, all members of our staff are honest, but ‘if proven guilty’, then we dismiss them immediately. We accept payment in TZs, US$ or € according to current exchange rates. However, we do prefer that guests pay in TZs or use Visa or Mastercard.

Secondly, your suggestion to replace cars with bikes is an excellent one. At present we only have one man-powered limousine with pedals available. But we would certainly be able to provide more if the demand arises. You are absolutely right that the view from the Uluguru Mountains towards the north is fantastic. We can also offer horseback riding up into the Uluguru Mountains via horses available at SUA (Sokoine University of Agriculture). Please do come back and we will offer you a free horseback riding trek to Morningside, the weekend retreat built by the German colonialists in 1911, located high up in the Uluguru Mountains.