“Friendly, helpful staff. Great food.”

Gartenhotel Crystal
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Fugen
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at the beginning of March for a weekend Ski trip. ( Our first). The reception staff were very helpful. We phoned for advice before our trip and they picked us up free of charge from the train station in Fugen.
The room we stayed in was basic. It was clean but the decor was tired. Small shower and no bath but no major problems. There was a good size balcony with great views of the mountains and valley. ( I think there are higher standard rooms in the hotel - we had a standard room as part of our spa package).

The ski bus stops right outside the hotel ( literally right outside the boot room) and so this is not inconvenient at all. It was punctual and there was always room. The 20 mins or so drive to the slopes is enjoyable, fab views. I would recommend.

Boot warming rods and good storage for skis and poles at the hotel.

The best thing about the hotel is the food. The choice is astounding for breakfast. At afternoon snack ( the ski lifts close at 4pm- and so back to the hotel for re-fuelling) there was a good choice of soup or cold meats and some small pastries. Dinner was 5 or 6 courses ( a la carte style) and every meal we had was fabulous. The waiting staff were always smiling, chatty, helpful and committed to their job ( not like some waiting staff here in the UK!!).
There is a bar area and seating area outside in the gardens. ( the coffee was good).
( they were building the outside pool when we visited in Mar '14 , and cant wait to try it out next time we visit.)
The indoor pool/ spa area is ok. Not the same as some 4* hotels in the UK, but acceptable, relaxing and clean. The 'Jacuzzi' is tiny and was always in use so we didn't get to try it. I had a massage included in the booking price and the lady was friendly and helpful.
We will definitely return. Our first ski trip was made easy by the reliable ski bus service, the hire shops ( which were close-by) and the staff at the hotel.
ski advice - Hochfugen slopes are more suitable to non-beginners (although we managed - just about !!) we were advised not to try Speilijoch as it was too steep for beginners. Cable car is 5 mins walk uphill from the hotel.
5* for food. I awarded 4* as the rooms were a bit basic.
overall -definitely recommend ! definitely will return !!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clair20
There are newer reviews for Gartenhotel Crystal

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Loved this hotel. Great facilities for families: pool, billiards, table tennis, kids play area. Lovely rooms and fantastic food in the restaurant. Much lower rates than similar hotels, which reflects the fact it is a 25 minute bus ride from the slopes, but the bus goes from outside the front door so is pretty convenient. We had one of the newer rooms which was excellent (two shower rooms and a huge balcony). All the staff were exceptionally friendly.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 10 January 2014

First let me say that we booked here thru a travel agent rather last minute for the week between Christmas and New Years. Our lodging choices were very limited during this time period so I felt we were kind of forced to stay here due to the lack of decent options. Boy, was I happy to be proven wrong! We had a great time here and I'm so glad we stayed here!

First the location: it's about a 5-7 minute walk from the center of Fugen which has a variety of stores & restaurants which I would have liked to explore but we spent all of our time skiing. Also the hotel is a 5 minute walk to the Spieljochban gondola for skiing. Alternatively the ski bus stop to Hochfugen was located in the hotel's parking lot. Get outside about 5 mins at least before the bus is scheduled to arrive to ensure you get a seat on the bus (otherwise you'll stand for the 20min journey). We skied almost every day, one day at Spieljoch which was nice but small compared to the subsequent fabulous days spent at Hochfugen and Kaltenbach. Awesome conditions, long trails, just wonderful! We had 2 lunches at the Wedelhutte on the mountain (separate review on TA) as well as another on mountain restaurant near the 8er gondola. Both great meals.

The rooms: we were in what I think was an older styled room. It was clean, well-maintained and comfortable but I would have preferred to have stayed in one of the renovated, more modern rooms. Had I known about this I would have requested a different room. Regardless we still enjoyed our room, it's just personal preference.

Food: Simply great. I was really surprised at the creativity of the menu and the presentation of the food--it really was like eating at a 4 star restaurant every night! The buffet breakfast featured the same food every morning but we never tired of the assortment due to the huge variety offered. My daughter especially loved making fresh apple and carrot juice every day with the juicer that they had on hand. On the nights they had a dinner buffet--same situation, huge variety to chose from and everything was very delicious. Almost every day we went to the snack buffet from 3-5pm which was small but offer a choice of savory and sweet items to hold you over to dinner. There are 3 different dining rooms which you are assigned to upon arrival. You dine at that table for all meals during your stay. One room features traditional Austrian decor which is actually very cozy. The other 2 are more modern in styling with big glass windows offering a view to the mountains and town.

Service: Check-in was quick and friendly. Everyone at reception was very helpful whenever we had a question. Our waitstaff at breakfast & dinner were super friendly & professional, especially our waiter Ronny who was so sweet, helpful and just pleasant to chat with.

Pool/Spa/Kids area: My girls enjoyed the pool almost every day. I didn't get a chance to try out any spa treatments or the sauna area which was huge & looked relaxing. Maybe next time! They had a bright kids room full of toys and videos to keep the under 8 crowd happy and occupied. There was also a few video games, pool table, fuss ball and table tennis to play as well.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. I'm so glad we stayed here and would certainly return if we ever come back to this area for skiing! I'm sure during the summer it's wonderful too!

Room Tip: If you prefer a more modern aesthetic, ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bethinhoboken
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a wonderful vacation in Austria. The hotel experience was nearly perfect and I will start from the good. Number 1 the spa: just amazing, all you can wish in terms of saunas, indoor swimming pool, relaxation hall and other amazing facilities. Number 2: the food was mostly perfect with just some little drawbacks. Huge variety of local gourmet cheeses, elegant dinners with interesting dishes and so on...
Number 3: the service and the friendliness of the staff was amazing. There was not a single thing that we would ask and did not get, in short time and with a smile.
Number 4: the child friendliness of the hotel was beyond our expectations. Perfect outdoor and indoor playing facilities, children pool, and so on. Most important: our children are quiet picky in terms of food so every evening the chef had a special dish prepared just for them, according to our request. Unbelievable.
Number 5: the location of the hotel is very comfortable to get around the area.
Finally, the drawbacks: unfortunately there were some small draw backs that did not allow me to grant a perfect score to this otherwise wonderful hotel. First, the mattress and the pillows were very uncomfortable. Although near the bed there was a sign in German that stated that the bed was some kind of orthopedic sleep system, but being orthopedic did not make it comfortable. Second, there was no coffee and tea preparing kit and no refrigerator in the room which in my opinion are pretty basic. And third, almost no international channels on tv. Out of 80 channels on tv, only a few were in English and all of them were news.
Other than that , as I said, nearly perfect hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Igalros
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The restaurant ranks with any Michelin ones. Gourmet! And attentive service. The front desk is friendly and very helpful with local hiking. The location is convenient. Fugen is quiet and beautiful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for a week in May on a half board basis. The hotel has extensive spa facilities, is spotlessly clean and staff are polite and helpful. The hotel provided me with a 5 course vegan meal each evening and there was plenty of choice for me at the breakfast buffet each morning. The meals were imaginative, healthy and tasty. Chilled soya milk was provided every day and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Good English was spoken by nearly all the staff. I would advise people to research the area themselves, before leaving home, to find out what attractions are available as all the tourist leaflets at the hotel are entirely in German. Our room was spacious with a comfortable bed, it was functional rather than luxurious with lots of storage and even a seating area. The room, like all areas of the hotel, was spotless and only lacking tea making facilities, which us Brits do love! The shower cubicle was a little rickety and the towels a little thin and hard but then there was a double sink unit in the bathroom that was very welcome. Please note, hotel is at top of a long hill.

Room Tip: We booked a standard room no 113 which had a seating area and balcony, but balcony looked out on to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessW389
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I highly recommend this hotel to ski lovers who do care for healthy food. Hotel is located a walking distance from skilift to Spieljoch mountain. Still, a skibus stops at hotel door to pick you up there or to further ski destinations. Hotel is cosy, with many silent lobbies, to enjoy intimacy. We were extremely delighted with excellent service and delicious food - dishes were of highest quality, highest care to provide healthy food (even honeycomb!), many many local dishes (cheese of many kinds!), also homemade - simply excellent cuisine and cook! Nice clean rooms, excellent intimate sauna premisses with water beds. Very good skiroom and many other features. Wifi is free of charge. Halfpension option includes a generous snack + coffee in the afternoon. One small negative feature for me: too hard mattrace.

Room Tip: Hotel ma starszą i nowszą część.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MoniaJan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fugen
Sport- & Wellnesshotel Held
#8 of 11 in Fugen
Hotel Elisabeth
Hotel Elisabeth
#7 of 11 in Fugen

Been to Gartenhotel Crystal? Share your experiences!