“school group experience”

and 1 more site!
Gasthof Aigner
Ranked #22 of 32 Fugen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The previous reviews about the smoke (and local drinkers) are true - you walk in and it hits you at all times - morning or evening, it also permeates through to other parts of the building. We were here in peak ski season and the kids were crammed in, sometimes 9 to a room which was a bit too much, although I talked to folk who were here at less crowded times and they had the same rooms with less beds. On the positive side, the meals were good enough and the staff seemed to be really 'on the ball' at dealing with large numbers efficiently. In the mornings you could go down nice and early and have a quiet coffee, which was nice and meal time flexibility was good. Lots of hot water, although it did run out for one or two people and warm rooms. Fairly small boot room with poor heating, but it worked OK and there are good ski lockers for groups at the slopes - arrange at ticket offices. Adequate meeting rooms and close to shops/village amenities but very noisy service traffic in the mornings such as ploughs/bins etc. 5 mins by free ski bus to Spieljoch, 20 mins to HochFugen (which links to rest of valley). Very good pool complex 20 mins walk or good minibus taxis.

Room Tip: watch out for traffic noise in rooms on the main street
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 October 2010

When reading the other reviews prior to going toAustria my friend and I were dubious about our choice of hotel, but were pleasantly surprised to be given a large, comfy room, The staff were very busy most of the time, but it didn't stop them being friendly and helpful. I'd not told anyone that it was my birthday, but a staff member had noticed my birthday cards in my room and presented me with a lovely little gift. Also when we used the superb swimming pool/complex on the other side of Fugen. After leaving my swim suit and towel in the bathroom, I was delighted to find them dried and neatly folded on the table. The food started each day with a continental breakfast, compriseing of a large selection of yoghurt, fresh eggs, different meats/cheeses, fresh baked rolls, fruit, fruit juices, coffee, tea etc. The evening meal was always a salad buffet, followed by soup, main meal and sweet. There were no choices, however if you didn't like what was on the menu the next day or food items you couldn't eat, they then gave an alternative. It was Austrian fayre, wholesome and filling. Some dishes were salty, but not all. The bar area was full of local people, but that showed that they felt the hotel was the place to be, When locals eat and drink there, normally its a compliment to the owners.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Returned home yesterday. I can confirm everything I have just read above, so nothing has changed. The owners would do well to read it too, although I doubt they are interested. As mentioned above, the habitual drinkers from breakfast to bedtime are much more thought of than their clients from abroad. Anyone with a heart complaint BEWARE - take your own food as it is mostly too salty to eat! We had the added disadvantage of disinterested tour reps - we were abandoned at the hotel where, again, as mentioned above the room allocation was a free for all from staff who spoke no English and apparently suffer from an inability to smile even! We didn't let it spoil our holiday though. A beautiful area with lots to see - but we had to find it ourselves, the staff never intimated that there would be processions and events right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank moomin000
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Great location no frills but satisfactory in all aspects choices were limited food wise but low tarrif makes the occasional evening meal elswhere an affordable option should you wish also local spa complex was superb so go for it

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Good location as 5 mins from the centre. Staff very helpful and friendly. Food good. Bedrooms clean and serviced daily. Only drawbacks are lack of lounge area for guests and locals smoking and drinking in bar from 8am and guests having to walk through smoke haze to get to the dining room. It is only fair to say that as smoking is still allowed in bars and restaurants this happened in all coffee bars and restaurants. If you want a smoke free holiday stay in UK.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I am glad I did not read reviews before I went as I found this hotel quite adequate, although strange to have toilet behind entrance door to my room. Did not notice food was salty but then I like salt. The menu and service was not inspired but quite acceptable. It was entertaining to watch the methods people used to combat the flies and the management did take measures to deal with them as best they could. It was pleasant to sit outside at the tables in front of the hotel after dinner and you did feel you were part of the town with locals using the premises. Nice to be in the centre of town although you had to accept there would be noise especially when they held a local festival. Would take a travel kettle another time.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Staff were friendly to us, we paid the lowest price for the holiday, food was good and we had a choice of menu with 4 course meals. True, flies were a nuisance, but then again wherever we went there were flies. What more can you expect with farms in the centre of the village. We both felt that we had value for money. Other reviews state that staff are surly, this was far from true as we were concerned, they were very helpfull. We got what we paid for.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple