The Lodge Conwy
  • Restaurant
US$336
US$324
Hotels.com
Bryn Tyrch Inn(Capel Curig)
US$146
US$143
Royal Oak Hotel(Betws-y-Coed)
US$174
All reviewssurrounding area is beautifulon arrivalevening mealroom was spotlessly cleancottage
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Our stay at this friendly hotel was made welcome by Neil his family and his staff, there were 4 in our group and we were all treated with courtesy but at the same time a relaxed attitide.
The breakfast was superb as were the evening meals, a good selection was available but personal needs were also catered for if necessary.
The rooms were adiquate and cleaned etc to a good standard.
The staff were very helpful in regard to our enjoyment of this beautiful area, we found that the Lodge was an excellent central place to stay to enjoy the surrounding places of interest of which we found many.
Thank you to Neil and everybody that we had the pleasure to meet.
Highly recommended. Jill and Roger Rowland.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
lodge5243, Owner at The Lodge Conwy, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

It was great to have you stay here. Hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Hotel was very clean and comfortable. Both evening meal and breakfast were excellent with a good choice of menu. Hosts were very friendly and very helpful will definitely go back. A good base to explore north Wales.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian D
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Having paid for a two night stay and receiving full written conformation of the booking,We arrived and was greeted with fill in this registration form,once completed I was told we require your credit card details,I dont have one I replied,well I need £100 in cash or you cannot stay,pay or go,we have stayed in hotels all over the world and never been treated with such agression.
I replied there was no mention on any £100 cash to be paid on the confermation letter,or in the small print,not bothered £100 or go, you might spill red wine on my carpet but we dont drink wine or alchol you might spill a take-away meal on it then was the reply.
We are both retired proffesional people,who respect other peoples property not mindless holigans,
I was then forcibily told £100 cash or go.We left with no alternative but drive all the way back home minus or planned week-end birthday treat for my wife,beware of hidden charges and bad manared proprietors.Our feelings were, this could be a money making venture on there behalf.or perhaps the need to go for re-training to boot camp!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank john c

This customer took advantage of a website deal, to which he had to purchase using a debit or credit card. He then telephoned the hotel to make a booking but wouldn't give credit card details over the telephone. At this stage I advised the customer that it is hotel policy to take card details from all guests staying in our hotel and that he would have to provide these at check - in.
On check - in, the customer refused to give these details so I asked for £100 as a deposit, which would be refunded on check - out.
I am insulted that this customer felt that the £100 was a "money making racket". This is so far from the truth, most hotels take some form of security so that guests can charge drinks etc to their room account, given peace of mind to the hotelier for such incidentals. The voucher company who issued the voucher to the customer fully vindicated our hotels procedures.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Like some previous reviewers, we stayed here on a two night break through Groupon. We paid £149 for two people (including the extra £5 per person, per night for breakfast) The deal also included dinner on the first night.

The "real" rate was supposedly £296 for two people, excluding breakfast and I have to say I would have been outraged if I'd paid this sort of money, for a small, no real frills motel and an uninspiring dinner, but the Groupon deal was a very fair price and we didn't feel we'd been robbed.

The main good thing to say about The Lodge is that it is extremely well positioned for exploring North Wales and we would certainly use it again - if another deal came up, that is.

It is also immaculately and spotlessly clean, with a cosy, welcoming bar/lounge area and attractive restaurant. Our room did remind me of the 'Crossroads Motel' somewhat, with the washbasin outside the bathroom and front door straight to the outside, but the large comfortable bed and sparkling clean fixtures and fittings made up for the lack of proper country hotel charm.

The included dinner on the first night was OK I guess - average, unimaginative, pub grub. My fish pie was plentiful, but bland and other choices I can remember were soup and melon to start and pie of the day and gammon as mains. The only vegetables on offer were peas and chips or new potatoes.

Breakfast, on the other hand was absolutely excellent.

The ordinariness of the meal and quietness of the hotel during the two nights we were there, resulting in the atmosphere of the bar and restaurant being extremely lacking, led to us not taking advantage of the Groupon offer the following night of a free bottle of wine with two courses. We ate at the Groes Inn, three miles up the road, towards Conwy, which was very jolly.

There is also a pub about five mins walk from The Lodge, in the other direction, serving bar meals at very reasonable prices.

Staff at the hotel are chatty and welcoming. Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of the guy who appears to run the place though.........as the previous reviewer has already demonstrated!

We had three days, two nights of a lovely North Wales break. We saw lots of lovely places and it was nice to return to the quietness and good location of the Lodge in the evening. As I mentioned earlier, we'd certainly come again - but certainly not at that full rack rate.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tobykizzy
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My son booked a stay at this hotel at around 3pm just 2 days before travel. By 3.15 we realised that late rooms had made an error and it was far to far away for us to use and attend business. I called laterooms to cancel and they said they would check direct with the hotel. They came back with a yes but 100% charge! I said no I would call the hotel myself and explain. I did this and spoke to a man. I explained the room had only been 'out of circulation' for less than 2 hours and that I would happily pay a small admin fee but no more. He said he would drop the charge from over £400 pounds to £100. I explained that was still rather excessive as the room was only unavailable for a couple of hours and the cancellation fee was for long term bookings cancelled. His reply was exactly this! " Well you have made a monumental cockup then haven't you, Goodbye" at which point he hung up the phone! Anyone who can behave in this fashion to someone who was trying to be perfectly reasonable and resolve a situation should not be let near the public never mind run a hotel!

Room Tip: Saty at the Hotel Port Dinorwick http://www.hotelportdinorwic.com/ Amazing hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank Tracie M

I have thought long and hard as to the reply to this poor review. Having discussed the same with Late Rooms, they have encouraged me to leave a response.This potential customer made a mistake by giving her Son her credit card to make an internet booking to check in the following day.The Son accepted the Terms & Conditions on the internet to make the booking. The booking was made a 2.53pm and was subsequently cancelled at 10.44pm ( 8 hours have elapsed).Just before the booking was cancelled the customer telephoned to advise that the family were not going to arrive. At this stage I informed the lady of the cancellation policy and the subsequent charges, of which I reduced drastically as a gesture of goodwill.
It is very clear in the terms and conditions that a cancellation charge be made, however even though I reduced this rate, I was still interpreted as being Rude and Unhelpful. The lady leaving this review has blamed everyone except herself.
Myself, Family and Staff endeavour to create a warm welcoming atmosphere for all our guests to enjoy. It is not in my best interests to be rude.