“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Savannakhet
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

This wasn’t my first choice but the hotel confirmed with agoda and paid for, was 24 hours later cancelled. Disillusioned with agoda, I checked booking.com and found Rattanhsavanh Hotel. The reviews on TA were not encouraging at all but I was struggling to find somewhere for the nights required. A rather cool welcome but they went to buy beer on request. (the fridge was empty) When I asked about a local map, the receptionist drove to the Tourist Information Office to get maps and local information, which was very helpful. I speak Thai so no real communication problems. But I can see it would be difficult if you were speaking English.
The room was fine, clean and had everything you would expect in this price range. During the night there was a minor problem with the toilet and in the morning I mentioned it needed a small repair. I was offered to change rooms but suggested it would be easier if they just fixed it but would check when I returned later. I came back to find a broken toilet and a dirty room - when enquiring why the room hadn’t been cleaned, I was told that I had the ONLY key to that room! I changed rooms.
Breakfast was rather grim. The ‘restaurant’ is very dark and unwelcoming, there was a couple of staff watching TV and I was completely ignored. I made some instant coffee and a man behind the counter whilst putting athlete’s foot powder on his feet, held up a French loaf …. I sat outside to drink my coffee as the restaurant is so dreary. About 10 minutes later someone walked past with a bag containing eggs. Then fried eggs, a French loaf and jam arrived. I went out to find some spicy soup and didn’t go near the restaurant on the second morning.
On check out, I covered my bill in full in local currency as agreed in the booking.com conditions. I checked my credit card account to find that the hotel had taken a second full payment via my credit card. I have emailed the hotel twice and heard nothing. Booking.com have been helpful and called me to explain they had spoken to the hotel directly who say that they had mistakenly taken the payment, they confused me with another customer – I thought this was a little strange and I didn’t even see another customer on the day I checked out. I have been told it will take 10 to 14 days before I receive my refund and the banking services charges I have incurred will not be refunded.
I am not a happy customer.
I will avoid hotel booking websites in the future.
I would strongly recommend that you avoid this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Suan71990

Families
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

Service - you might get better service if you speak Lao, otherwise there is very minimal english spoken resulting in no tourist help. Also, ?from poor translation was told that laundry would cost 500 kip/piece, seemed like a good deal so gave them everything to do, once it was done (and poorly, still with dirty socks and not even deoderant stains cleaned) we were told that no it was $5000 kip/piece, aka$1.50 american to clean a pair of socks... Not cool and no help to fix the problem!!!

Breakfast - 2 fired eggs and a bun with DARK coffee every morning

Room - clean, air con works.

Location - out of the town, easy walking distance but you have to pass by some frightening dogs on the way!

No internet.

Overall this hotel is a clean safe lace to stay but not a great value, poor location, and poor service. It survives only because there are such limited options in the city.

REcommend the icafe on main street to eat at, do laundry, free internet.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Canadagirl2000

Travellers are raving about these Savannakhet hotels