“Nice and helpful owner, clean rooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savannakhet
Souannavong Guesthouse
Ranked #10 of 41 Savannakhet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had really good experiences with the Souannavong Guesthouse! The owner tried his best to help us with everything we want. He even sended me a necklace I forgot there to Germany! The rooms are new and comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sophie A
There are newer reviews for Souannavong Guesthouse

Reviewed 16 February 2014

the room I stayed in is facing the street, and it has small balcony. As balcony doors and some windows don't have glasses to pass through lights from outside, it's very dark when all doors and windows are closed. But once doors and windows are open, the room turn into bright and pretty comfortable. Don't forget to close balcony doors after dark, to avoid mosquitos to enter.
The room was quite basic, nothing speciel but OK, the carpeted floor seems like not very clean.
Attached bathroom is good, with plenty of hot water, and free wi-fi works well in the room, too.
The location is very good, close to the old town, variety of shops, cafes, and restaurants are only a few mins walk away, but still the area is very quiet, always.
Definitely good option for those who want to stay close to everything and don't need any fancy rooms and services.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank buutan
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Good, solid choice for accommodation in Savannakhet. Rooms were clean, showers hot, cotton bed linen but the bed was really hard! I agree with other reviewers comments that sometimes the front desk is left unattended - so we took our key with us rather than leave it for anyone to take. They have bikes for hire and could recommend a few local restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few rooms first as they are not all equal in size or have the same natural light.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stufnotstub
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here a couple of nights before moving to Leena Guest House.
There's nothing wrong with the place, it's just that when you have kids in tow they need a little wiggle room, and this guest house just doesn't have it.
However, the room was clean, and we found the owner to be friendly and to speak good English.
It's in a very good location for the Thai embassy, and there's a nice downstairs seating area where you can read and chill out and probably meet other travellers, so I think it would suit people on a visa run very well.
Good value stopover, but not right for a week's stay with 3 kids.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LS6JAN
Reviewed 13 November 2013

stayed here after crossing from Vietnam. had struggled to find reviews of places and found this recommended on Travel fish. I took two other people I met on the bus over as we arrived on a wet night and arrived to a front desk to a young man who spoke zero English. He called the owner who did who offered us the rooms 70,000Kip for fan. My room at the front was a bit of a damp prison cell so I moved into the newly built (if unfinished) rooms in the garden.

I rarely saw the owner occasionally the boy would come each day (i stayed 3 nights) saying " you pay" which I did, it had been too much trouble to explain I wasnt sure how long I would be there so we did it day to day. Without wishing to sound too critical it is odd that the person you have on the front desk of a guesthouse where predominantly westerners stay couldnt speak any English (I could speak 4 sentences I'd learned in Laotian which was 4 more than he could do in English). You left the keys in a box at the front which was either manned by the young man or if he went out wasnt manned by anybody. It did seem a bit security lax but I didnt get the impression it was unsafe, most people were too busy sleeping or lying around to steal I guess.

However this does go slightly against one aspect of Savannakhet that I found and have discovered on many reviews of the town....the dogs are mental!!! from sleeping all day at about 8pm they turn into wolverines, every place has the and they don't like people walking by, in a group I think its not a problem but solo I (and it seems many others) got chased every night. I asked why they were so vicious and was advised it was because of "lots of Vietnamese come and burgle" which makes it odd the guesthouse was so lax on security....

As the only reason you'd come to Savannakhet is to leave sharpish as there is nothing to do or see this is as good a place as any you'd find for a central location.

also the trip from the bus station to here is 10,000 kip max they will try charge 50,000K

Room Tip: ask to get a room in the back garden, nicer new (if unfinished) than the front
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stuck in savannakhet while waiting for my visa and couldn't be more happy with my stay. The owner is friendly, speaks decent English, and he even took me out one night for dinner and karaoke. The wifi works great which is hard to find in this town, best price in town, perfect central location. You can walk to the embassy, town, temples, river, churches, and laundry services. And the best place for healthy food and drinks and book exchange Chai Dee cafe is right around the corner. I will definitely come back whenever I need a Visa run. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The hotel is simple, but quiet, clean, with a good location in the city center. Good wifi, warm showers. The owner speaks correct english. They have bikes and motorbikes to rent.
And the price is very correct!

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savannakhet
Daosavanh Resort & Spa Hotel
#1 of 41 in Savannakhet
Vieng Khong Hotel
Vieng Khong Hotel
#5 of 14 in Mukdahan

Been to Souannavong Guesthouse? Share your experiences!