Villa Monte do Casal
Agoda.com
US$135
US$127
Hotels.com
Hotel Ibis Faro(Faro)(Great Value!)
US$85
ibis
US$173
US$129
US$94
Priceline
  • Pool
Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo(Faro)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$95
US$71
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We also stayed at Monte do Casal in September and we had a superb holiday. Everything from the warm welcome when we arrived to the small details such as the chilled hand towels and sorbet offered poolside by the waiter, made our holiday.

We are very surprised and quite frankly find difficulty in understanding the many complaints made by Mr. Garrick. in a previous review. We, and the other guests we spoke to, were extremely happy with this lovely little hotel.

We were also at Monte do Casal in September and find difficulty in understanding the many complaints made by Mr. Garrick. We, and the other guests we spoke, to were extremely happy with this lovely little hotel.

As for the “inexistent “ Service, as he puts it, well ours could not have been better ! There were some signs of end-of-season deterioration, but not serious enough to spoil our holiday.

We enjoyed the ambience, the food and wine and the maître d’, Jose was very knowledgeable on Portuguese wine. Our room was very comfortable with great views towards the sea and islands.

We are looking forward to another stay at Monte do Casal.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DavidLote
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We have stayed at the Monte do Casal three times now and it never dissapoints.

Lovely to see the same friendly staff there still. They help make the hotel what it is.

The food and service was excellent and the spa was very relaxing.

Charming hotel that holds a special place in our hearts. See you again next year I hope!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank 04foodie
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We had a really fantastic stay. The staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble We enjoyed the food, especially the Seafood Monte do Casal. We had a special romantic evening enjoying a five course tasting menu under the gazebo which was on the lake..magic!

Our suite was very comfortable with a big balcony for breakfast and sunbathing.

All in all, we had a great time.

Room Tip: Suite 10 is the best!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kat9nn
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We drove up the Cypress lined cobbled drive, past the beautiful gardens and when we received a warm welcome from the receptionist and a glass of chilled champagne, we felt at that moment completely relaxed and we had arrived somewhere rather special.

Our beautiful room was overlooking the garden and a pond with koi fish and a waterfall near the spa. The room was very spacious and we slept well. The large bathroom was pure luxury with double basins, white marble and special touches. The weather was wonderful and we had our breakfast on our terrace every morning which was included in the price of the room. We like this because most hotels charge 20 euros or more per person for breakfast. I also don’t like to have to get dressed to go to a buffet breakfast and then have to help myself when I can have breakfast brought to me. If you are like me, I like to be pampered when I am on holiday!

Talking about pampering, Tanya gave me probably the best massage ever! The spa sits on one of the small lakes again has a wonderful feeling of relaxation as you are surrounded by water.

We enjoyed eating outside under the pergola every evening. The food was good and the service was friendly and professional but we felt that after 3 or 4 days, the menus for lunch and dinner started to become a bit boring and there should have been more of a choice each day.

We enjoyed sitting in the beautiful garden reading or just soaking up the views. Apart from the hundreds of koi in the lakes, there is a very friendly duck that we fed with some of our bread from our breakfast in the morning. There was also a small family of moor hens. On Friday we were invited to the manager cocktail party where we enjoyed meeting the fellow guests and the management with some excellent bubbly and canapés.

We had an excellent holiday and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Room 8 has a beautiful view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roonhols
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed at the Monte do Casal for nearly a week in August. As it didn't meet our expectations we decided to leave a day early. The hotel prides itself on being n SLH hotel and the service of its staff was outstanding. Originally in room 14 (a twin) we spent the first night with the smell of sewerage coming from the bathroom. This was known problem so we were moved the next day and upgraded to a suite as was had become available (other guests left early). Even the suite had tatty furniture, ripped sun loungers and the carcasses of flies on the walls which had not been cleaned.

The food was lovely and the grounds were probably stunning once. They are still OK but everything needed a coat of paint and a wash with a pressure hose. The location was handy but you need a car. It was very quiet and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast was always brought to our balcony on time and was very nice. However, we had the end suite so the staff had to walk through a few other balconies to get to ours, disturbing the guests.

I wrote to the hotel (with numerous photos) before posting here but I have not received a reply. I have made SLH aware of the problem as the hotel claim that inspectors visited recently and I simply cannot believe that this is true.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank MartinDXBxyz
MontedoCasal, Manager at Villa Monte do Casal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear Sirs,

I have read your comment and thank you for taking time listing the problems.
First of all my sincere apologies, I have noted the points you have raised and certainly we are solving this problemas as soon as possible.
I am very pleased to hear that you considered our service outstanding and you have enjoyed the food in our gourmet restaurant.
I am glad to know that you have been moved and upgraded to a suite when you felt unconfortable in room 14 (twin standard room), as well you enjoyed breakfast and that it was always served on time.
Some of the sunbeds fade in colour during the summer, however we have already painted the sundbeds.
Concerning to the staff walking through other balconies to serve breakfast, that just happens on the first floor of the hotel ( 3 rooms). One of our services is to serve breakfast on the private terrace of each room, but on the first floor this is the only option, if not the maids have always to enter inside the guest rooms.
I am surprised that you did not get any reply from us.
We confirm that we have received the vist from SLH inspectors this Summer.
All your points will be taken in consideration and the modifications will be done.
Thank you.