See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 March 2015

El Charabon is an estancia with a small number of very nice rooms rather than a hotel with many rooms. Our hosts, Jorge and Graciela, were gracious, helpful, and friendly. Jorge gave us a personal and extensive tour of their large ranch, and we watched the care of his livestock. We are not "horse people," so we did not go riding as many of the guests do. We did partake of the lovely swimming pool on the hot summer days. We saw peacocks, an armadillo, and even a rhea!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hal240
Reviewed 8 November 2014

During a recent (terrific) trip to Uruguay we stayed in several places. All of which were nice, but El Charabon was the absolute best. Within minutes of arriving, I felt totally at home. The rooms were luxurious, the bath was totally up to date and slick, and the care provided by the staff was astounding. Flowers in the rooms, turn down service, fresh water by your bed each evening. I was very surprised and totally charmed. The chef provided food easily equivalent to any 5-star restaurant. The location was beautiful, the horses well trained and well cared for and I loved waking up to the sound of an array of critters. Everyone there will be missed like family. Each year I travel for a riding vacation and there are not many places I would go back to as there are so many more places to see, but I would jump at the chance to return to beautiful Uruguay if I could stay at El Charabon again. Don't miss this place!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

El Charabon exceeded my expectations in every way! I stayed for 3 nights in May 2014 and was the only guest. I was welcomed so warmly and genuinely by Jorge and Graciela, I could see that this place was not a typical tourist cowboy ranch. The land is gorgeous and the animals are very well cared for. I loved waking up to find nandus (small ostriches) grazing a few feet from my door. The peacocks, chickens, dogs, cats, rabbits, cows, sheep, horses, guinea hens and llamas occupied much of my time-and I loved every second of it. Horseback riding and learning all about the cattle was interesting and I smiled the whole time-especially watching one of the border collies work like a pro with the cows. There were plenty of places to settle down for some sun or cuddle with the cats and nap too. Diana, Alejandro and Paola were very kind and helpful with dietary requirements and even transportation to the bus station. El Charabon was the highlight of my trip-

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Staying at El Carabon was a great treat for us. We hugely appreciated the kindness and consideration extended to us by everyone running the estancia. They have thought of everything. We went there to ride, so were surprised by the luxurious bedrooms and lovely pool. The horses were super and we had great fun cantering through the hills, looking for armadillos and hugely enjoying ourselves.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

It's hard to find the words to express how wonderful this place is !
We stayed 3 nights in January 2014 and we have to say it was one of the best travel experiences of our lives !!
An authentic "cattle ranch" thats for sure, this is the "real deal" for anyone looking for that full South American "Gaucho experience" !!
The horses were fantastic even for beginners like us, we were looked after wonderfully by Alejandro, the best "Gaucho in Uruguay" his sons Anthony and Matias with the horses, his wife Daiana and Chef Paola in the kitchen producing wonderful food and of course time spent eating, riding and socialising with our wonderful hosts Jorge and Graciela, all our friends for life !!
We truly felt part of the family for 3 days !
Muchas Gracias a mis amigos !!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple