“Fine for a budget hotel but ...”
Review of Go Hotels Tacloban

Go Hotels Tacloban
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Tacloban
Reviewed 1 November 2012

For a budget hotel, Gohotel in Tacloban is fine. I made sure I got a room facing the road and not inside by asking the housekeeping guy which room are the better ones. He suggested room 201 onwards. As 201 is under repair, I go 203. Not bad. As the previous reviews indicated, it is a new hotel and the small room has a queen bed with new linens, split-type air con, a flat screen TV, a phone, two wall electrical outlets and free wifi. However, the biggest downside is the poor bathroom drainage architecture that causes the bad drainage odor in the bathroom. I learned from the salon I went to earlier today that it is a Robinson-wide problem.

Except for the stinking smell of an otherwise squeaky clean bathroom, this budget hotel is fine. It is modern, clean, comfortable, convenient and inexpensive. It is also attached to the Robinson shopping mall with a lot of dining choices, a supermarket, bake shops, etc. What more can one ask? Well, the management ought to fix the bathroom drainage and Gohotel/Tacloban will be several notches better.

Room Tip: Choose room nos. 201, 202, 293, 204 onwards. Those rooms face the road and not inside the building.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank mme1030

Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is a new hotel built on the end of a Robinsons Mall. The room I staying in was clean and had the basic facilities (onsuite shower room and toilet). Free Wi-Fi and a flat screen TV with Sat completed the room.

The bed was slghtly small, but then again I'm 6ft5ins, but the room itself was only just big enough for the bed. However it was clean and comfortable.

Food was provided by an ajoining restautrant and was perfectly good enough, breakfast was fine. I have now learnt to stay away from anything labelled 'American breakfast'

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CJJ_IoW
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This hotel recently opened. It is located directly next to Robinsons, and everything is new. It is going for a modern feel, including little extras like a touch screen elevator. The beds were comfortable and the linens were clean. That said, almost everything else they get wrong.

While the hotel is new, there were two large stains in the bathroom, one next to the toilet and one inside the shower. In the shower is a retractable clothes line which was already broken. For a new hotel these are embarrasments. The shower itself has a luxurious rain water shower head, and includes an extra hand nozzle--but it's placed below your knees! What is the point of that? I am not sitting down in the shower when I bathe!

The wifi was off and on. I spent unnecessary time connecting and reconnecting. This would not be ideal if one had work to do, which I did.

The television was new and a flat screen, which was pleasant. The problem is that the speakers on the TV are of such poor quality that having the sound above a whisper distorts the sound. They look nice, but are not useful.

The rooms are TINY. This would be fine for a single person with minimal luggage. I traveled with another, and our baggage ended up taking up a large amount of the open floor left. Another strange thing about the rooms is that the windows face inside the hall. Not too bizarre in smaller hotels, but totally unnecessary in a busy hotel. The lights in the hall are always on, making it impossible to have the shades open during the day. During the day people walk by regularly and many stare into the room.

Eating is not allowed in the room. Fine. Except there were only a few small tables in our common section and they were both taken up when we wanted to eat. This rule is ridiculous, especially when they do not offer enough common area to go and eat.

Another example of the hotel getting things wrong is that the price goes up when occupancy goes up. I was quoted one price on the phone and was given a price hundreds of pesos higher when I arrived. Ridiculous. I asked why, and was told that "It's just like an airplane." Newsflash to Go Hotels--you are a hotel! Flying these days is seen as a chore. Staying in a hotel should not be.

Check-in, also, took almost 15 minutes. A little longer than necessary.

For all the negatives, I left after one night. I would not stay here as a businessman or as a family. If you are solo and can't find anywhere else, fine. If not, stay elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Nolan S
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I had my apprehension when I was told that I will be staying at this hotel for an overnight business trip to Tacloban. When I went down the van and saw the open-air reception and check-in area, my nervousness grew. Lo and behold when I got in the elevator, was impressed with how modern it was, touch screen elevator! The hotel rooms are all in the second floor tucked in a maze of wide airy corridors. It was so colorful with the nice paint and many greens! When I entered my room, I was surprised, it was like a matchbox! But the smallness of the room made it cozy! The twin bed and the pillows are very nice and soft! Aircon was very new and hence very cold! There were no cabinets but there is a stick with three portruding rods for anything you want to hang. TV was flat screen lcd and complete with cable! The toilet was big though and complete with hot and cold shower.

The hotel is just beside the Robinsons Mall which is another plus. It also has a function room for small meetings. No breakfast! Staff is always smiling and greets you every time!

Over-all my stay was very comfy and I;m glad I stayed here!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank crispypata
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I've booked here for only a night since I have an early flight. The hotel is very new, clean, and the staffs are very courteous. They're always ready to help. I've also booked for a service to airport and although I need it @ 6:00am and there was just one passenger that's me, there was no extra charge. The price for everything was fairly cheap and considering the look of the hotel, it's more than worth it. Small room but nice bed, clean towels and sheets, nice cable LCD TV, the aircon takes moments to get cooler but in general, this hotel is highly recommended for tight-budget travelers.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank flameau07
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

Clean, good service; nice location next to mall; hot water in rain shower. Feel safe at all times here and am enjoying the stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
6  Thank Baggiecute
Reviewed 21 May 2012

To be completely honest, I wasn't sure what to expect staying in a budget hotel but we were in for a nice surprise! Made a booking online via the gohotels website and got a wonderful deal, thought that was excellent! Hotel lobby is inviting, very spacious - it includes a small kiosk which sells Leyte's delicacies, a money changer, a car/van hire desk, two conference rooms and a lobby toilet. Rooms are of budget size but enough for 2 people max. We also got an interconnecting room, which made the room look a little bigger. Gohotel Tacloban offers two types of rooms, one with a queen bed and the other, a twin. Both rooms and bathrooms are clean - this hotel just had its soft opening on the 29th April 2012 and its grand opening on the 16th May 2012. The hotel is equipped with a fancy-ish lift (touch screen), which I thought was cool. A spa is due to open very soon so I'm not sure what its like. Laundry/dry cleaning service is available as well at a cost. But no room service available. It is also nice that the hotel is directly beside the Robinsons mall, a mall that had a lot of food and shopping choice, even five cinemas to add to that.

It's difficult to find decent accommodation in Tacloban City as the other hotels located in the city centre are mostly run down. Gohotel Tacloban seems to be in a newer and more developed part of the city. I felt safe all throughout.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family