“Grilled Salmon”

Uncle Sam Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$8
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Uncle Sam Restaurant is an American cuisine situated in the downtown area of the first class municipality in Leyte. Some basic commodities and ingredients are bought from the US to serve customers a special American dine.
Tacloban, Philippines
“Grilled Salmon”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I just love their grilled salmon. I always order this every time. Was there Sept 6, at last the smoke from the kitchen is gone. But, still won't accept credit card payment. :((((

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Tata227
Guilbert D, General Manager at Uncle Sam Restaurant, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
We are glad you liked our grilled salmon! We always choose the best quality Norwegian salmon for our customers. We would like to inform you also that starting today September 13, 2013 we are accepting credit and debit cards payments! :) We hope this will make your next visit at Uncle Sam more convenient. Thank you!

Manila, Philippines
“All-American in Tacloban”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I discovered this restaurant with my friends one weekend we were spending in Tacloban City. Whenever we're here, we're always on the look-out for hole-in-the-wall type places which serve food that is as far removed from the normal small town fare we endure every weekday as possible. And this one here fits the bill perfectly.

Let's talk about the location. While the restaurant has moved from its (for me) better location two blocks away from the biggest church in the city (read: easy to find) to a more secluded location near a famous hotel and has upgraded its facilities (more seating, etc.) I still like the old place best. It had the feel of a diner, I think (since I've never been to an actual American diner). It was very cozy and great for spending long afternoons drinking rootbeer floats and eating burgers with friends. The new place is great too, but feels more like a fast food restaurant, which does not really appeal to me.

Then, the menu. What I love about the menu is that it comes in sizes. Are you just hungry or starving? I also like that while they sell meat here, they also have fare for my vegetarian friends, so that she can have her vegetarian pizza while I eat my ribs and we split the banana split after. Serving size is also a factor, since I often come here with lots of people and we love to get into each other's plates. I feel that for a small Asian stomach, all their food is for sharing. I've always been a ribs girl, and they have one of the best in the city here, but what I absolutely must have whenever I'm here are their burgers. They only serve them between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm, which is a time known as merienda time this side of the world, and burgers here are generally considered as merienda fare, so it figures (merienda is a snack between meals). Whenever we go here, we get a pizza and salad around lunch and stay for the burgers and we're full till late at night.

There's also the ambiance. Even in the new place, attention to detail is amazing. The colors and decor, even the music are all tied to the all-American theme. Whenever I go there, I always end up with a James Taylor ear worm.

Overall, this a friends and family friendly restaurant with an amazing theme and an equally impressive menu that is right on the money.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank kristinemaemd
Florida
“Finally a salad!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I have been volunteer teaching in Samar. I stay in Tacloban with a Filipino family and found my first salad in the 23 days I 've been here. I had the shrimp and mango salad and a San Mig Light. All salad ingredients were fresh. Not many shrimp but okay for lunch. The service was very good. The restaurant was clean. The menu is extensive with mostly American fare. I will return since I will be here another month. Prices are reasonable.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank ptyduke
London, United Kingdom
“Fil-Am staples menu”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Visited for lunch and dinner whilst working in Tacloban.

Pros - All the staples are on the menu, and are pretty well cooked, wifi available.
Cons - Not everything was available to order.

Uncle Sam is a solid choice for a meal, nothing fancy, just what you expect at prices that are comparable to other places.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank puzzlemonkey
Tacloban City, Philippines
“Awesome burgers!!”
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

Ive been a coming to this place time and again. Their burgers are the bestbin town. I would even say its the best in the region. Their waiters are polite and doesnt bug you when you are talking to someone... unlike other restaurants. Lol

The place is cozy tho small. The ambiance is awesome. If you are looking for american burgers, you should try them out.

6 Thank jamtraxx