“ABGV (Anywhere but the GV)”

GV Hotel Tacloban City
Ranked #16 of 22 Tacloban B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“ABGV (Anywhere but the GV)”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

It's true what the other travellers say, you get what you pay for and the price at the GV is right: very cheap. But, really, I just found my room at the GV to be bad - and I've stayed in some pretty rough places. It wasn't the lack of a toilet seat, the cold shower, the single plug in the room being used for the tv, the main drain coming through my 3rd floor room so I could here water from any toilet / any shower above me at anytime that put me off. All of that I could have lived with. And, I was glad for the free internet in the lobby, the clean towels, the lack of bugs (not a one), and the staff who were polite enough. But the stains on the sheets (they, at least, had been washed), all over the bedframe, on the side table, on the door(!), everywhere were just more than one should have to accept at any price.

It's hard getting a room in Tacloban these days- since the world is still here to help post Typhoon Haiyan-Yolanda - and the people who lost their homes and are living in tents or under tarps have it much, much, much, much worse than any guest in the GV. But, I really wish they would clean, for decency's sake.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NorthernAccent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Yolanda destruction
Front desk sells small water bottles around 50pesos each. Hot water available for instant coffee. Obviously everything is moldy and broken but seriously, it's just so much better than staying out in the rain and mud. It's January 11, 2014. I'll post pic of prices later. Tacloban is open for business.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank hopeimaginepeace
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was surprised a very cheap hotel but the room I had was very clean and efficient the staff were good and helped in any way they could I will definitely be going back there it was withing walking distance of the main shopping area but on a trike it was only 8 pesos and plenty of motorised trikes around the hotel good value for money

Room Tip: choose a room with aircon and water heater only 750 pesos
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank birdmanjing
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed July 17-18, 2013.

The staff at the front desk was courteous and answered all my questions, paid for a twin room since no single room available and then gave me the noisy room 412 located at the fourth floor. It has no window, comes with one power outlet used by the TV, a wooden desk, and an AC (noisy). The room's floor tiles has stains all over as well as the bathroom's (maybe because it's old or poor cleaning?). I got one towel, one small soap with no wrapper, but no shampoo. All-white beds with hard pillows.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank galwin

Travellers are raving about these Tacloban hotels

Cebu, Philippines
Reviewed 1 July 2013

TIP: Book online and get 50% off your room rates

Booked a deluxe single room online for P550. Inclusions based on the website are "Aircon, Hot/Cold Shower, TV, Private CR, Bathroom Kit"

HOW TO GET THERE FROM AIRPORT:
- Taxi for P250.
- Take a "San Jose/Tacloban" jeep and alight at corner Avenida Veteranos. Fare is only P10. Walk 100 meters to GV Hotel.

LOCATION: Good location in Downtown Tacloban. All you would need are a few steps away (Mercury Drugstore, restaurants, Bo's Coffee Club, etc.)

TRANSPORTATION:
- Because of its location, transportation is easy. P7 for tricycle, P8 for jeepney/multicab

FIRST IMPRESSION:
- Outside and inside, the hotel looks old.

CHECK-IN:
- Check-in was fast. Complimentary Bottled Water and Room Key Card will be given upon check-in.

ROOM:
- My room, Room 433, was located near the end of the hallway. The hallway was narrow and very dark. During my first attempt to insert the key card, the room wouldn't open. I had to go down and seek assistance. An old guy who didn't look like he was a hotel employee accompanied me to my room. The key card only needed an extra push so the room would open. As soon as the door opened, I was greeted by a very small room with a funky smell.

- All-white sheets which were rough. The pillow was very small.
- The louvers on the jalousie window were no longer locked so noise/hot air from the outside could get in the room.
- Air-conditioner was old and noisy but still provided cool air.
- There's ONLY ONE power outlet! I had to unplug the TV just so I could charge my gadgets, one at a time.
- "Bathroom Kit" provided was only a soap and a roll of tissue paper, plus a towel which looked more like a rag.
- The bathroom was very small. The lavatory, toilet and shower were directly beside each other. A very small mirror looked like it was bought from "Unitop".
- The room looked pretty worn-out.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

- Free Wi-Fi is only available at the lobby.

- Because of all of the reasons stated above, I did not spend the night at the hotel. I checked out when I knew that a friend who was in another hotel, could accommodate me in his room. I understand GV Hotel is a no-frills hotel. But I'd say it's not even a no-frills hotel. It's scary in there. I will never return to GV Hotels Tacloban.

- On the plus side, the hotel is good for those who wish to scrimp, save and stretch their budget, but expect to be scrimped of a good sleep too.

Room Tip: Choose the topmost floor! If you were in the lower floors, you would hear water flowing through the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TheLibotero
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Budget Hotel, no frills, but very inexpensive. AC was noihe moneysy , but worked! Small rooms, but you get what you pay for! Close to pretty much everything! Good value for the money. Would stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank fouraces55337
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a fan room that was very small but thankfully had its own CR. Even though it was really hot in Tacloban during that time, the room was surprisingly cool.

My problem about the room was the fact that they only have a single electrical outlet. You could only charge one gadget at a time. Every time we'd charge our phones, we had to turn the TV off. This was also very impractical as we had to wait to fully charge one gadget before plugging in the next one. It was very impractical.

Another problem I had with the room was that the pipe from the upstairs room extends to ours. Every time the guests upstairs would use their sinks, we could hear the water flowing in the pipe in our room. This bothered me a bit.

Even though the hotel wasn't located in the heart of downtown Tacloban, it was pretty near. It's situated in a large street where you could easily hail trikes and jeepneys.

All in all, GV Hotels Tacloban is a good hotel when you're on a budget. But it still has plenty of room for improvement.

• Stayed March 2013