“A bizarre place - make sure to check the fire escape!”
Review of Hotel XYZ

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Tacloban
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This place must have been modelled on Fawlty Towers.

We checked in before some colleagues & jokingly said we'd take the best rooms - we were told all rooms were the same. Clearly this was not so as my room had a large pillar 6" from the foot of the bed which meant I had to go sideways to get from one side of the room to the other. We were given the wifi codes but were NOT told that the wifi hadn't worked since the previous day (it did come on later).

There were no fire evacuation instructions in the room. I went to check out the fire exit door - it did open but led on to a part of the hotel which was still being constructed and then to the fire escape. Whether or not this fire escape did go down as far as the ground I was unable to discover. As someone else has said, this hotel is still being constructed by the looks of things and I too suspect that this is the reason why the lift doesn't work. I was on the 6th floor which meant some good exercise, especially with my luggage (although we were lucky in that someone did carry our luggage up to the room).

There is a fridge in the room but this has a glass door with a light inside so that I had to cover it with a towel at night. Bathroom was good.

Restaurant was reasonably ok although quite chaotic on our first evening - dishes were on, then they were off, then they were on again. Breakfast was poor as I don't eat meat - I requested something in lieu of the bacon which came with the eggs (eg hash browns, tomatoes etc) but there was nothing available. I requested a glass of water to take my malaria pill but had to purchase a bottle of water. There was no fruit juice although there was some very good mango which bizarrely came on the same plate as the egg & toast. Breakfast came with coffee included but when I asked for a second cup, this had to be paid for additionally! I said that I'd never before had breakfast in a hotel where I had to pay for a second cup of coffee; "Well that's the way we do it here" I was told.

I was working in my room for most of one of the days (continually having to go crab-wise between the bed and the pillar) and decided to go down to the cafe at lunch time for a sandwich; "No sandwiches until 2pm" I was told.

Compared with other hotels I've stayed in in the Philippines where service is really excellent, this place was dreadful

Room Tip: Try to get one on as low a floor as possible; not just because there's no lift but also from a s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Voigt

Reviewed 14 April 2014

It is a small nice hotel in downtown Tacloban. I stayed here for a night. The room was nice and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was relatively big considering how small the room was and the amenities were okay. You can really tell that they're trying to be hip and modern. Even the bathroom mirror was cool! Their wifi was okay.

The cake I had at Illy was great and the prices were reasonable. I had breakfast at Q Kitchen. I was hoping to eat something else but I was only given the breakfast menu so it was okay.

There were a few quirks which were understandable since they're still trying to recover from the typhoon.

The elevator was still not working. It wasn't really a long walk going to my room in the 4th floor anyway so this wasn't a big issue.

The cable was not working so I had no tv during my stay, or maybe I just didn't know how to use the remote. I don't watch a lot of tv anyway.

There were bugs on the table when I had breakfast. These were not the gross type of bugs but I'm hoping they could manage them better next time.

The view from my window was not nice. The small space between the window and the wall was full of trash, but again this was understandable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ferdinand L
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for your wonderful words about your recent stay here at Z Pad Residences. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team as your words of appreciation never fail to inspire us to be consistent in providing excellent service. Regarding your concern with our breakfast, I am very glad to inform you that we were able to revised our breakfast menu for more options and breakfast cravings. The service elevator is already fixed. And lastly please be informed that we are doing fumigation at least a month to get rid of the bugs.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and able to appreciate the services extended by our hotel staff. We are very humbled by your kind words and delighted to know that our guest sees and appreciates all our efforts. Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us.

We truly value your comments as these will help us improve on our services more.

Resident Manager

P. Zamora St., Tacloban City, 6500, Philippines
Tel No.: (+63 053) 321.3888
Fax no.: (+63 053) 523.3888

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Yes, it was damaged in the typhoon, but as the hotel is not yet fully built I am not sure that its major problems (except for some structural damage) can be attributed to the disaster; not sure the elevator has ever worked. Intermittent wifi and electricity (yes, attributed to the disaster and the conditions in town generally), however the hotel should not be charging the current high rates.
Without aircon the rooms are totally airless. And except for rooms at the front they are also very dark. The masseurs are excellent, and the spa was good on my first visit. However on the second it was so noisy - everyone talking and laughing. The restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HoJo_Guest
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was here with an international organization volunteering services to support locals impacted by typhoon Yolanda. It's in many ways a stark contrast to the surrounding areas & living conditions of the surrounding community; so if you don't think you'll be wracked by guilt, then I'd recommend this hotel. Free wifi that's pretty good. I was able to download tv shows from iTunes for my flight back to the US in oftentimes 15-30 min. The restaurant serves pretty good food (breakfast, lunch & dinner) - though some things on the menu were not yet available. There's also a small cafe that serves Illy coffee & where you can order espresso drinks. There's a spa that I didn't take advantage of and the rooms were comfortable: beds with firm mattresses which I liked, 2 pillows (1 memory foam & one fiber-filled), air conditioning, flat screen tv, refrigerator, shower w/hot water, toilet. The staff was friendly and helpful. There were a few occasions when our restaurant bill had extra charges & miscalculations. Our room's window had yet to be replaced from the storm & was boarded up, but that didn't bother us. Overall, I'd definitely recommend this as a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for your wonderful words about your recent stay here at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team as your words of appreciation never fail to inspire us to be consistent in providing excellent service.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and able to appreciate the services extended by our hotel staff. We are very humbled by your kind words and delighted to know that our guest sees and appreciates all our efforts. Especially your high regards with the amenities we are offering.Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us.

Resident Manager

P. Zamora St., Tacloban City, 6500, Philippines
Tel No.: (+63 053) 321.3888
Fax no.: (+63 053) 523.3888

Reviewed 23 February 2014

As one of the few hotels that opened shortly after Typhoon Haiyan hit Tacloban just last November, it is understandable that there are some inconveniences that one has to put up with such as a non-functioning elevator, room telephone and not to mention that the front desk can only be reached through mobile phone. I wonder if at the time of my stay, some of the hotel staff have yet to report for duty. Since the elevator's not working, I would appreciate being asked if I need assistance in carrying my bags. Instead, I got none. The complimentary bottled water is also missing from my room. To be fair, when I asked for it at the front desk, the staff immediately went to my room with the said items.

Considering that Typhoon Haiyan recently wiped out half of the city, it would be wise for the hotel to provide flash lights in every room. Although there is a slot for such in the closet, the flash light itself seems to be missing from its place.

Although the room is small compared to the other hotels I've previously stayed, the design is pleasing to the eyes. I especially appreciate the non-fogging mirror and the chain lock in the door.

Overall, I recommend this hotel for long-staying guests but if you only need a place to stay for a night or two, there are less pricey options in the city.

P.S. At the time of my stay, telephone lines do not seem to be working so it would do a lot of good for all the hotels in Tacloban to have posted alternative ways to reach them (eg. mobile phones). There also seems to be a problem with the sewer system in Leyte as there's a foul scent coming from the bathroom, same goes for another hotel I've stayed in a town miles away from Tacloban.

Room Tip: Check if the elevator is already working and get a room in the lower floors if you have issues with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank WomanWander
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Not much to look at from the outside, as the front entrance is small and narrow. But the interior is clean, bright and stylishly decorated. Everything is clean and modern. Rooms are very comfortable and everything is in working order (an exception for a Philippine hotel, especially one on the provinces). Considering how few lodging places have been able to re-open after Typhoon Yolanda, XYZ is a real treat. The only problem for now is securing a room, as the entire hotel seems to be taken up by international relief workers and there is rarely any vacancies for others. The restaurant is simple, but again bright and clean. Prices are OK, but the food was a bit disappointing, probably because many people had told me that it was great and I probably had unrealistic expectations. There are other better restaurants in town, but it's OK for a change.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Raintree_Thailand
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team and rest assured that all key points of comments and suggestions will be given a high regards. However, I was a bit upset of what you've stated about your experience in the restaurant, most probably, when you dined in, it was the time that we just opened after the typhoon wherein we are still recovering and most of the ingredients were purchased outside of Tacloban. But again, this is not an excuse and I would like to apologize if the food was not really good, anyhow, please be informed that as of this moment we made sure that we are serving quality and sumptuous food. And I hope the next time you visit us, please do dine in again at the Q Kitchen.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This review is being written over two months after typhoon Haiyan. I visit my family in Leyte once a year around January/February timeframe. I never had a need to stay in a hotel - because I always stay with my sister. This trip is different. My sisters house has no electricity yet. I had to make this impromptu trip for my mothers funeral. It has been raining for several days.
The hotel staff are very accommodating, and prompt to answer any questions and concerns. The hotel is clean. I particularly like the bathroom and the showers. The wifi is available throughout the whole building, not super fast, but reliable. There is also a restaurant on the first floor which is super convenient. Now for the "but:" my room was 501; no elevator, the door has to be manually open by a staff with an actual key; no warm/hot water, the glass wall was leaking from the rain. If the "but's" don't bother you, then this is the place. It is a cute little hotel with clean rooms. Hopefully if I ever need to stay here, they will have a vacancy, and they have a working elevators and auto room entry, because it has plenty of potential.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Merlina
Jerick Jao F, General Manager at Hotel XYZ, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Greetings from the newest hotel Xperience in Tacloban City!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel XYZ. We are always delighted to read the positive experiences of our guests. Your feedback will be shared to the rest of the team and rest assured that all key points of comments and suggestions will be given a high regards. Also, we appreciated your good ratings to our facilities and services.

Upon reading your review, I noticed that you have other concerns with regard to your stay and to discuss these further please be informed that all concerns were being noted. With regards to the manual key usage and leaking of the room; please be advised that his particular room is one of the rooms that was damaged by the typhoon, however, as of this moment we are having the repair of the said room. Second is the elevator,which was also damaged by the tragedy; but I am glad to inform you that the elevator is under repair already which will be accomplished, hopefully within 2 months.

Best regards,