“Nice people, decent rooms, not 5-Star, but one of the best resorts in Phils.”

Leyte Park Resort Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Tacloban
Pensacola, Florida
“Nice people, decent rooms, not 5-Star, but one of the best resorts in Phils.”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I spend a total of five days at Leyte Park Hotel in mid-October of 2011. Initially, I flew into Tacloban to meet a friend for 2 days, and then off to Cebu to visit a family I know there.

I found Leyte Park Hotel surprisingly comfortable. The large open lobby area with coffee and wine service overlooking the park area with free WiFi was really nice. So after Cebu I returned to Leyte Park Hotel for another three days.

That turned out to be a good choice for I was able to discover an even better way to enjoy Leyte Park Hotel. My first stay of two nights had been in what was hyped as the “best” remodeled and updated room; such rooms were stripped of the old-fashioned wood paneling and flooring, which had been replaced with stainless steel and vinyl. During my return I ventured into the older, mahogany- furniture, -floors and -walls. These were much better rooms, substantially cheaper than the modernized rooms and with cool tropical ambiance. I could find no negatives in these older un-remodeled facilities and many advantages.

The Leyte Park Hotel is an expansive, multi-unit resort situated in and really part of an extensive park area. For me, that was a real positive. As one who has visited Phils several times, I am not comfortable—i.e., feel my personal safety is at risk—walking alone too far outside of most hotels in Philippines. This is not an irrational fear as even my Filipino friends encourage me to always have company when I am outside of my hotel grounds.

Tacloban in general, and the Leyte Park area especially, does not have the sinister ambiance if found surrounding, for instance, the Manila Airport Hyatt or the Cebu City Marriott, both of which employ and prominently display, visibly armed guards and metal detectors screening of anyone entering the hotel. There must be reasons for elevated “security” and one should pay attention to cues that, well... maybe you too should be on alert. I have visited Philippines several times and consider myself fairly savvy about personal security (I met friends for coffee in the Cebu City Marriott lobby and right then and there vowed NEVER to stay in a hotel that made me feel as if I were arriving to meet inmates in a prison!) Pleasantly, you will not find your neck hairs standing on end in the vicinity of Leyte Park Hotel.

Tacloban Airport may be the best, most accessible airport in the Philippines. Small, friendly, simple, efficient: get off plane, pick up luggage, step directly outside into the parking lot where you will be surrounded by dozens of taxi and tricycle agents bidding to take you to the hotel. No hassles whatsoever. When I needed to modify my itinerary, a friend and I went right to Tacloban Airport and in 10 stress-free minutes, the very helpful clerks issued new tickets for no charge.

Anyone interested in Philippine culture and especially World War II history should visit Tacloban. The Leyte MacArthur Park Museum is inspiring; unfortunately, I had to leave Phils a few days before the anniversary celebration on 20th October. The Hotel Alejandro in downtown Tacloban has a great in-house museum. (Although the Alejandro is a nice hotel, it is downtown and

I enjoyed the Leyte Park Hotel restaurants, and I ate most lunches and all dinners there, sometimes alone and sometimes in company of friends. There was an excellent guitarist / singer performing in the main restaurant with whom I sang a few songs; very nice, very friendly.

There is free WiFi in the lobby area, which extends into a large outdoor patio that kinda blends into the park. I used that area to catch up on emails and chat with friends all over the world, all the while sipping coffee and enjoying the view of the park.

Room Tip: Do not check into the “re-modeled, updated rooms” that are more expensive but do not have the charac...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Joe L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I frequent this hotel every time I go to Tacloban City since early 2000?. The price is quite high compared to other hotels in Tacloban but this is the only hotel with big grounds and sunset/sunrise view fronting the sea. Recently, hang-out places are being established near/within the hotel premises. I notice that it is also slowly improving every time I stayed. The hotel personnel are accommodating and nice. The beddings are old but clean. Breakfast choices are limited to selection of 3 foods plus fruits and juices. The good thing also is that it has free wi-fi. If you want a relaxing place near the sea where the kids can take a morning or afternoon walk away from the busy streets of Tacloban, this is a good place to stay. I hope this hotel will reach its full functional condition the soonest. By the way, they provide free transport from airport to the hotel but hotel to airport, there's a corresponding fee.

Room Tip: Cottages are spacious and near the breakwater. It provides a better view if you want to watch the su...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Miner_DMS91
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Excellent location, easy to get there from Tacloban airport. Rooms are currently being renovated, especially the cottages needed a complete overhaul so badly. Friendly and helpful staff, good food in their restaurant, only breakfast is a bit poor. Free wifi in the lobby. In short...yes, I will come back.

Room Tip: Personally I would choose a room in the main building.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert V
manila
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel was once the best in the City, over the past 10 years it has suffered neglect and has slipped from the ranks, fortunately it has been undergoing improvements these past few years giving the hotel the much needed face-lift. they have rooms with private eternity pools making them a good choice for small groups who want to have privacy.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank princesscat09
Bundaberg, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Girlfriend (Leyte local) wanted to stay here, obviously heard it was "top hotel" in Tacloban, which it may have been once upon a time.....5 star price/2 star value
Certainly had look of nice hotel but well past its prime. Stayed in renovated room, obviously renovated in the '80s & while it was very spacious it was also very rundown. Noisy aircon, shower that took forever to get hot, tv barely working but it was close to the pool.
Found the service generally very good, food also very good & floating restaurant is definitely worth a visit but do not use in-house laundry service, cost was 10 times what I have paid in Angeles.
Hoping to stay at Sahara Resort or Baluarte Beach next visit, anyone been there?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bundyman47
new zealand
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I have stayed at the leyte park hotel many times my last stay was just january with my family, although rooms needs renovation yet they are cleaned. My kid seen ants that's true but cannot be avoided since the location is near the beach. staff were nice but not all especially front staff male who frowned and sounds always in a hurry to cut me every time i have inquiry ,so i just when back to my room.we ate at veranda the food nice but service is quite slow however we dine that time with plenty guests too ,i had time that i was bored then i tour the hotel , staffs greets me always , i used the wifi but had a problem a lady in red assisted me very nice and good speaks english ,she was the same sent to me by the young lady and explained smoothly that my wife's kit was not stolen by her people even helped search and it was dropped near the bed and found it.My kids swim in the pool that needs repaint,its flaking tiles.Only bad experience i had why i was asked to transferred to stay at the other room because someone will be using my room?!crazy !why let the new guest use the room where i will be transferred?...suggestion please lower down your rates if you will not offer free breakfast or rather offer free breakfast all hotels offer such except yours.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I have stayed at the Leyte Park on 3 different occasions and the place is getting worse. Rooms are in needs of renovations and new paint. Found ants in my room and bed. Clearly, the hotel is not controlling the pests. They need to put back some of the profits into the infrastructure and quit being so cheap! If you want continued business, improve your facilities. Another problem is that there is no buffet breakfast. Most 3 star hotels in the Philippines will include your breakfast, Leyte Park does not. On the positive side, the hotel is in an excellent location with beautiful views. There is so much potential at this location, but hotel management obviously is not interested in investing in improving the rooms and overall facility. Sadly, I will not return to this hotel and look for another option when staying in Tacloban next year. Do not waste your time here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg A

Travellers are raving about these Tacloban hotels