“Surviving the typhoon!”
Review of Rosvenil Pensione

Rosvenil Pensione
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Tacloban
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Rosevinel Pension is one of only a very few hotels operating after Typhoon Yolanda flattened much of Tacloban. Under the circumstances, one can't ask for much. I was extremey happy to have a relatively clean room, clean sheets(!) and electricity (thanks to their private generator). The place is still recovering from nearly two meters of water from the storm surge and they offering only the most spartan of accommodations, including no dining facilities.

Due to the shortage of rooms in Tacloban, Rosevinel (as well as any other place that's operating) is packed solid and there is a waiting list ready to pounce on any room that comes available.

Despite the challenging conditions, I thought the staff could have been far more friendly. Just to get a cup of hot water for coffee or instant noodles seemed to be a major endeavor. Considering the market leverage they have, they're not gouging customers too badly though; I paid 1,600 pesos for a double room, with airconditioning and lights (pure luxury in Tacloban at present). But sadly, but no hot water for showers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Raintree_Thailand

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I think the correct spelling here is Rosvenil Pension. Either way this might be the best stay in Tacloban City. It is very affordable and comfortable. Yes it is a budget place but that does not mean it is not clean and comfortable. They are even doing construction on more units. They said due to open by the end of the year. The room we stayed on this visit was a king bed. Had a couple of chairs and table. The bath has a shower and plenty of hot water. The AC was a little loud, but better loud than too hot. There is a great restaurant next to the hotel. Very affordable food! There also is a bakery 1 block away, Panny's. They have great baked goods, we even got a cake for a party from there. Try the Ube supreme. The staff here are very polite and always ready to help. The service on this stay was better than our last. The room had bigger blanket and towels for each of us every day. The only downside of this place is they currently do not take reservations. It is first come walk-ins. So be ready to have a back up if they do not have space. We stayed 2 blocks away at a different more expensive less comfortable place waiting for a room here. If you have friends or family here have them get a room for you and prepay.
This is where we will continue to stay when we visit Tacloban.

Room Tip: Try to get 3rd floor. All stairs but have view of city rather than walls.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 11 July 2013

One can easily overlook this place. I discovered this pensionne on the Web, while looking for a cheap place to stay in Tacloban for a business trip. Yes it's cheap, with a single room less than 1 thousand bucks. The front of the inn is an old house, where the registration counter is. There are also a couple of old rooms there, which I think would be the fan rooms. But looks too confined and dark. Good thing they have a new wing, which has charming wrought-iron(esque) balconies. The room I got was small and cramped, but adequate for my needs. There's TV with enough cable channels to lull you to sleep, and the aircon works well. No breakfast served, but the cool restaurants are a walk or a tricycle ride away. Perfect place for those on a budget.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new wing, which is away from the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

I booked into one of the matrimonial rooms,for just under 1000 pes. it's quite OK !
Staff not exvessively friendly but the place seems well run and has a pleasant atmosphere.There's a new wing under construction and a small restaurant next door.
All in all,a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank qreghix
Reviewed 18 August 2012

the hotel facilities was ok but only to find out that you have no safety inside. My money was stolen while I was out running. The room boy first asked me if im going to check out, I said no. Then I went and had fun outside. when I came back aorund 11am I realized that my bag was already open and that I lost my cash inside. I then look for my laptop and my jewelris,, goood thing I have kept them out of the burglars sight. I reported the said incident to front desk and unfortunately no one not even the manager talked to me. I couldn't get angyr to the crew as they are not the on the decisions and another bad thing is that they talked in their dialect of which i cannot understand..may you improve the next time around and pay me what I lost

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank kkai13
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Comfortable and very cheap. The room was clean with a comfortable bed. The bath had a shower that had just warm, not hot, water. The staff were very polite but with 2 of us staying in the room we were only given 1 towel each day and had to ask for an additional one every day. We stayed for 3 nights then 3 more later the next week....same result on both stays. We always had to ask for a second towel.
The restaurant next door was great with good food and very decent prices. They will even do room service for no extra charge...very nice.
The only real downside is they do not take reservations, it is first come first serve. So we did an advance payment to hold a room on our return and this worked just fine.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 14 December 2011

A group of us were there for 3 days and found it a great choice. Rooms were clean, beds fine, and friendly staff. It's not the Hilton but nor was the price. By the way, the restaurant next door was tops for a great feed at a budget price.

Room Tip: Book early as it was always full.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends