“Melrose place appeal”

Headland Tropicana Resort
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We have stayed at here twice now and have loved both times.
The rooms are comfortable, clean and well furnished. I am not sure what the appeal is but we would not stay anywhere else. The location is fantastic with a minimal hill to two iconic beaches.
Managers Doug and Mandy have a natural warmth that welcomes you. If you are wanting simple pleasures and a place where you can unwind in then look no further. If you are wanting up to date rooms then book early and request the renovated rooms. I personally have stayed in the ones they called non-renovated and found them perfectly comfortable, spacious and well equipped. The centralization of the amenities makes for great family get togethers and for families with children to unwind as they watch their young ones interact with other children. Loved it and we will be back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Tropicana274, Manager at Headland Tropicana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you for the lovely review Karen. It is always a pleasure having you stay at Headland Tropicana... Guests like yourselves make our job a lot more enjoyable!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed the weekend of 6th July 2012. We booked a 3br apartment for 3 nights for 3 of us. Unfortunately we could only get a ground floor unit as it was a late booking. Although we had no ocean view the patio was quite private with a nice garden outlook.

Great position, very close to Mooloolaba strip, restaurants and shops. Ten minute walk (i think?) or a $5 cab fare:)

The rooms were large, clean and nicely furnished. It is an older apartment - bathrooms were dated - but I was after an affordable place not mooloolaba high prices, so we were very very happy with it.

The staff were great, booked us in for Dr appointments as we all ended up with the flu and I pulled a muscle in my back - so we did spend a lot of time in the room!

Really good place for families and it was also good for us barren ones - apart from the early starts with the kids running down the stairs - but holidays are for fun and I should have been outta bed by then anyway!!

We'll be back again:)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I was a bit disappointed when we arrived and were informed we had a non-renovated apartment considering I booked months ago. We were right at the front and the road noise was so bad we had to have the door shut to hear the tv. Lounge room was then hot as it had no fan or air con even though website says air conditioned apartments - only the main bedroom had air con.
The reason I booked here was for the indoor pool and I must say it is fantastic, perfect temperature. Location is pretty good, walking distance to everything however all uphill on the way back :)
Complex is clean and well looked after but for the price (over $200 per nite) I would choose a highrise next time.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BribieIslandJules
Tropicana274, Manager at Headland Tropicana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

We are sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay with us this time around Julie... As you were a repeat guest we did reluctantly agree to you only booking 3 nights, rather than the 4 night minimum that we have over the Easter weekend. We did explain we could not guarantee where you would be allocated in the complex for this reason. Fortunately we were able to give you your only request, which was to be up a level. We have recommended to the owner of that apartment that they install a ceiling fan in the living room, which the other units do have. Yes, there are 5 apartments directly on the front that enjoy fantastic views, although the down side in staying in one of these does mean a constant flow of traffic as we are conveniently located on the busy tourist strip...

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We had a spacious, comfortable and very clean one bed apartment on the top floor (only 3 floors!), with a sea view. This is a well maintained and run and attractive Resort up the hill on the headland.
An excellent location and there is a bus stop outside the gate if needed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here although it would have been handy to have a lift especially when carrying luggage up from the basement car park. We are not as young as we used to be !
The bedroom had a very efficient air conditioning unit but only ceiling fan in the main living room. Good value for money. We would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2011

From the minute I saw your website I had a great gut feeling about your accommodation.
When I called, I got fantastic service and you went out of your way to move people so we could be close to the friends we were travelling with.
On our arrival we were made to feel very welcome, in your pool and bbq area we met lots of lovely people who said were regulars (which I can see why now)
Our room was everything we wanted from your star rating and more.
I could not be happier with my visit to the Headlands Tropicana and want to thank you so much for all you did to make us welcome.
PS I thought your information book was the best I had ever read.
We try to get over to Brisbane 3-4 times per year and usually stay at higher star resorts (before kids lol) however I LOVED your place, it was simple, clean, friendly and EXACTLY what it promised to be.
THANK YOU, we will be telling our friends and returning ourselves 8)
(our friends room was a little more tired than ours, however in comparison to other places I have stayed at I would recommend this to all wanting a great family holiday) Great walking distance to beach, shops and parks 8)

Room Tip: There was a party going on a few doors down which was noisy however the resort itself was very quite...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Thanks guys! My kids and I had a great time at your resort. Every day the kids came back to the room prunes from many hours spent in your pools, which they seemed to spend more time in than at the beaches which are just across the road! The pool is one of the cleanest pools Ive ever been in. The staff are on to that one well. The room was clean and a great size and had all the bits and pieces you would expect in a self contained unit, and for groceries, the shops are just up the road. The owners are a laugh and always willing to help out (and laugh we did). The BBQ is ALWAYS clean and in a great spot to have a chat with other guests or make new friends, which my kids did too.
Ill certainly recommend Headland Tropicana to my family and friends.... and anyone!

Room Tip: I like the upstairs rooms with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We recently stayed at the Headland Tropicana, for the third time, with our daughter and her family of 3 young children. What a difference the new owners have made - gone is the easy going atmosphere of a holiday by the beach - try being charged $5.00 (hire) for an extra towel, or .70c for an additional roll of toilet paper! Don't know what people are prepared to do if they wash their hair after a swim.

Clearly the new owners are looking for every opportunity to make a few extra shekels. The 3 day booking of a 3 bedroom apartment on the top floor of 3 will be remembered for the masses of ants in the kitchen and bathroom, no washing up liquid, 2 minute pieces of soap, a globe out in the second bedroom and lugging suitcases etc. up steep stairs. They've lost us for future weekends on the Sunshine Coast.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Diedre_11
Tropicana274, Owner at Headland Tropicana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

In all fairness we would like people reading this review to know that we have not changed any charges since taking over as managers 18 months ago. The $5 clean/hire charge for beach towels and the 70 cent charge for extra toilet paper, or the size of the complimentary soaps are exactly the same. Being self contained apartments means we do not service apartments or 'give away' the supplies required by guests during their stay. The overwhelming majority of our guests are aware of this and they are only more than happy to return to this fantastic complex...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandra Headland
#2 of 7 in Alexandra Headland
Alexandra on the Pacific
Alexandra on the Pacific
#6 of 7 in Alexandra Headland

Been to Headland Tropicana Resort? Share your experiences!