“Made our Camiguin vacation perfect!”

Bahay Bakasyunan Sa Camiguin
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Mambajao
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was skeptical, at first, to book this resort because of the bad reviews but I'm glad I look past that and had a wonderful stay in Camiguin. Bahay Bakasyunan may be more expensive than most hotels in Camiguin, but having actually seen the other choices, I can say that the resort is in fact value for money because of it's amenities and over all service.

The food in the resort's restaurant is modestly priced and is just about average. The buffet breakfast has limited choices and though you'll find instant coffee there, you can always ask for brewed coffee at no extra cost. We went out to look for a good restaurant outside and we tried a couple, but Camiguin is a sleepy town and dining out is not at par with other places in the country, at least for now.

The standard room is large enough but I think the aircondition is small for the room size. They do not have a portable water heater (for drinking) in the room, but I'm glad that you can call 24/7 for hot water, a must for guests with infants.

There are no decent beach in Camiguin mainland in my opinion. Hence, the absence of a good beach in this resort is not unexpected. Other resort may have sandy beaches but they are still nowhere near decent by Philippine standard. On the other hand, White island, a few minutes by boat, offers a unique sand bar and beach experience and is definitely a must in Camiguin. Other than that, the island is also a divers paradise and the hotel staff is more than happy to arrange a diving package for you.

What I genuinely liked about this resort is that they offer a range of recreational activities within the resort if you feel you had enough wandering done in the island and the resort staff are flexible enough to accommodate most of your request.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are more expensive but they have nice exterior and better situated in the resort. A...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Zando E

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The place was conducive to rest; a real change of scenery. We came on a weekday so the place was quiet and peaceful. The food was average although there was enough for everybody. The breakfast was buffet style. The beach was unfit for swimming. The Jacuzzi was not hot enough for our taste but was relaxing. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Overall, it was good place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fmcsilbor
Reviewed 5 April 2014

we got off the boat and told the driver to take us to our hotel he told us that that was a lousy hotel and he would take us here because this was the best place on the island. I later learned that drivers are paid by the hotels to bring guests to their hotels. The rooms are okay but very noisy. I warned them potential problem with a barking dog in the property next door . They ignored my concern. The dog baked all night. we went out to swim in the pool and when we came back with a greeting by a nice cockroach in the middle of our room. the food made me a little sick. they would let me rent a scooter but they would not let my wife rent a scooter because she does not have a drivers license. they charge me just over 4000 pesos for the room very overpriced

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hiker1957
Reviewed 2 February 2014

went there last december 2013 with the whole family. the place was ok... clean and quiet. the food, hmm... nothing special though what i liked about it is that they have extended hours for breakfast so one need not really wake up early just to take their food. the beach was no good too and the pool was quite old and saw some chippings on the floor already. it's just the ambience that i like but other than that....there's nothing really special. btw, there were no masseurs to available that night which was really disappointing coming from a long travel :(

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank thetravellingmissy
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Been there last October and it was good. Hotel staff was very friendly, massage was awesome! Room is okay but the food wasn't good enough, and diving centre's quite far but they assist you anyway. If I go back to Camiguin, this is the only hotel ill choose to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danicatorres
Reviewed 28 December 2013

First things first: Camiguin, despite it being an island, is not known for its beaches. (It's known for its hot springs.) About the only place where you can enjoy the beach is White Island, a strip of sandbar off the main island, a 10 minute boat ride. (Perhaps another is Mantigue Island, which we did not visit.)

When we booked with Bahay Bakasyunan, we did not have this simple fact in mind. Our fault was that we did not do enough research on this "resort" and relied almost entirely on some glowing online reviews and Bahay Bakasyunan's website, which crowed about pristine beaches and you "soaking" your feet in the sand.

Well, guess what, there's no sand in Bahay Bakasyunan, simply because -- despite what its website says -- it has no beach. Its beach, in fact, is not fit for humans. The resort is right beside a pier (which of course the website did not say or show) and the resort's waste-water or sewage (at least from the restaurant) goes straight into the sea. Yuck! (See photo).

When we checked out, I confronted the front desk about the false/misleading claims on its website. The front desk officer was speechless. I told her to fix the site, she said they would, but as of Dec. 29, 2013, the false claim about beaches and sands is still there. (See photo)

The resort, in fairness, is picture-perfect. The cottages look nice from the outside. The grounds were well-maintained and picturesque. The rattan hammocks near the sea, by the restaurant and pool, were nice. One can have breakfast there and soak in not the sand but the sun. Terrific sunrise views.

The resort has a game room, where you can play billiards and table tennis but that's it. They have a fitness center. My wife and her sister swear the massage at the spa is to die for.

The room we had was so-so. The bed and linen were below par, at least not for the price we paid (about $100 per night). The airconditioning didn't work quite well. The stump of tree used as a center table in the terrace is actually filled with termites. The toilet is substandard; there's a hole in the wall that looked like it was the home of Jerry the mouse but was actually the drainage emptying into the other side, which is the shower room that didn't even have a shelf to put your soaps and shampoo, which ended on the floor. And the toilet's door, when closed, remains a bit ajar so you can actually see the person taking a crap inside.

The kids enjoyed the kiddie pool. The main pool, however, is a disappointment. It was not very clean and it had thick moss on its sides. Other than the pool, there's absolutely nothing else kids can do here.

Our biggest disappointment was the food, which was lousy and even potentially life threatening. I know how a tablea -- local chocolate drink -- tastes like but the one served to me was sour. I called the waiter and complained. I told him to check their milk because it tasted like spoiled milk. He replaced it with one that tasted right. On our last day, my sis-in-law ordered the same drink and it too tasted sour. I became suspicious so I checked their fridge of dairy and drinks. To my dismay, I found the Tetra packs of Nestle milk expired -- one expired in August, the other the month before our stay (see photo.)

All these problems we had with Bahay Bakasyunan was a pity because the staff were nice.

The bottomline, for us, is it's overpriced, lousy and potentially dangerous food. If you want nothing to do in Camiguin except to stay in your cottage or enjoy the well-manicured grounds, this hotel is for you. Other than that, you should look for nicer and cheaper ones elsewhere. (Truth be told, we probably had more fun during our one night stay at the Paras Beach Resort than we did in the 3 nights we stayed at Bahay Bakasyunan.)

Our final advice: Stay away from Bahay Bakasyunan because it's not worth it, they deceive their customers and you might fall ill during your stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank CARLOS C
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here for 3days. Its a very nice place to be with someone you love. A place where you could relax and smell the sea breeze. Very good food and adorable rooms. We would surely go back again and again.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Detail_1_9988
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mambajao
Camiguin Highland Resort
Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club
Caves Dive Resort
Caves Dive Resort
#7 of 9 in Mambajao

Been to Bahay Bakasyunan Sa Camiguin? Share your experiences!